PDA

View Full Version : Marriage legalities in Russia

expat2013
03-12-2013, 04:23
Hello, just go married to a wonderful Russian Lady in Moscow a few weeks ago. Now I am back in USA and getting ready to apply for temp residency. I read that it can take up to 6 months. Is this so? Does anyone have any experience with this? I woud ike to get back for the birth of my new son at the end of Feb.

Hans.KK
03-12-2013, 09:53
.. getting ready to apply for temp residency. I read that it can take up to 6 months. Is this so?I remember that it took at lot of time after the last paper was accepted by the FMS, and to get all the papers right took a lot of time to.

Does anyone have any experience with this?I do, and so do a few others on the forum.

I woud ike to get back for the birth of my new son at the end of Feb.You can always go to Russia on a visa, business or tourist visa will be the most easy (for your wife) to get, the "private visa" will demand some action from your wife and that may not be a burden that you want to put on her.

When you get you TRP you still need a visa (if you want to leave Russia and return on you TRP), this time the FMS can supply you whit that visa, some FMS provides a "multi exit/entry visa", other FMS gives just a "one time exit/entry visa".

When I was on TRP I got the "one time exit/entry visa" and have to go and registry at the FMS every time I arrived Russia (and apply for a new visa too), I later found out that I could just use a business visa and that saved me the registration (and the queue) at the FMS.

Any way, you need a visa to return to Russia, go and get it unless you already got one.

Judge
03-12-2013, 11:23
You're an American right? apply for the 3 year visa, could be tourist visa, business of private, this visa is good for 3 years, you can stay in Russia up to 6 months, leave for the day and come back for another 6 months.Once you are here you can start temp residency.
There's lots of info on this site about the 3 year visa and what to do for temp residency..

For info about the 3 year visa invite, contact Hayley from this site http://expat.ru/forum/member.php?u=1752371059
or Vadim at Liga

Good luck

yekaterinburg
13-12-2013, 18:39
Yes, as US Citizen, you can get 3year visa... as most other can.
you can however if you dont have work permit, ONLY STAY IN RUSSIA FOR 180 days a YEAR on business or private visa!
TRP requires a list of documents. the most significant issue people have is the police record. This document you HAVE to bring with you from US, Legalised.
You can not get it in US embassy in Moscow.
TRP takes from 5-6 months..
Do NOT use any company telling you they can "fix it" your wife can help you.
Do NOT violate any visa regulations, (I.E the 180/360 Rule), keep your documents clean, and record clean... and follow procedures.
You will meet a million people telling you different things. But better be safe then sorry.
Good luck

mikegulf
13-12-2013, 19:04
It's my understanding that the 3 year visa no longer has a 180/360 rule requiremnt, it's just day trip out and come back...just like Germany, 90 days in, one day out, 90 days in....

yekaterinburg
13-12-2013, 19:08
It's my understanding that the 3 year visa no longer has a 180/360 rule requiremnt, it's just day trip out and come back...just like Germany, 90 days in, one day out, 90 days in....

NO it is no change... 180/360 applies in Russia as well as Schengen...

In general, i must say, that i read so much strange here... Russian Visa, TRP, PRP Rules are quite clear... the problem is everyone wanting to make a shortcut, or believe in roumors...
The simple advice is: Just do as the legislation is, and all is good...

mikegulf
13-12-2013, 19:28
Just to confirm, I called the company that handles visa applications for the Russian embassy in DC and they confirmed that it is as I thought, stay up to 180 days in country, leave for a day and then you can return for another 180 days.

yekaterinburg
14-12-2013, 22:16
Its perfectly legal to to out of Russia if you have been for 180 days, get a NEW visa and go back the day after!
To stay on a business/tourist visa that has 3years validity is illegal more the 180 days a year!

John Galtsky
15-01-2014, 11:24
Just to confirm, I called the company that handles visa applications for the Russian embassy in DC and they confirmed that it is as I thought.

Absolutely the wrong attitude for Russia. Don't come here with unworldly credulousness that something a company tells you in the US means more than a direct reading of the law. Is that company in the US going to pay your bills for you when you get into visa trouble at the airport because what they told you is incorrect? Russia intends that a TRP is the basis for full time living and a multiple entry visa is a convenience for frequent, temporary visitors.

Whether that law or the intent of that law is applied by a given immigration officer is a different matter and can and will change from officer to officer, from day to day, from region to region, from airport to airport. It may also change on what they think of you, how you conduct yourself, relate to them and so on. I've had kind officials cut me all sorts of slack out of human generosity. But it is intensely foolish to count on that or to base major life decisions or expensive travel planning on anything but the law as it is written.

This varying application of the law doesn't bother me at all as one of the things I like about Russia is that a sometimes fluid interpretation of the strict letter of the law often provides a very human way out of otherwise "can't get there from here" situations. As we say around here, "there's always an exit." By that, by the way, I don't mean corruption but just people working out how do do what's necessary in a given situation. Not always, of course (brings to mind another phrase, "this isn't Switzerland"), but remarkably often.

If you want to live in Russia full time get a TRP. Don't play games with a three-year multiple entry visa. It's a very symmetric situation to the US, where Russians can get a three year visa for the US but they can't stay more than six months a year. In fact, in the US they can't stay more than 90 days in any 180 day period. Three year visas are for frequent visitors, a really convenient system. They're not for living here full time.

docjohn
15-01-2014, 13:21
Its perfectly legal to to out of Russia if you have been for 180 days, get a NEW visa and go back the day after!
To stay on a business/tourist visa that has 3years validity is illegal more the 180 days a year!

Didn't have any problems getting back into the country or re-registering after I had been here for six months on my 3 year visa.