PDA

View Full Version : Expat in Petrozavodsk

Globehopper
30-11-2013, 11:20
Hi - I'm from the UK and I live in Petrozavodsk, Karelia. If there are any other expats round here it would be great to meet you. There's some foreign students here but I've not found anyone else.

Otherwise, let me know if you're passing through on your travels and I'll show you around.

Ben

TolkoRaz
01-12-2013, 11:31
Are you in the petrol business?

FatAndy
01-12-2013, 12:00
Are you in the petrol business?
Alcohol one is better. PLVZ rulezzz. ;)

TolkoRaz
01-12-2013, 12:23
The smell in Petrozavodsk is yuck! :10600:

Benedikt
01-12-2013, 12:26
Hi - I'm from the UK and I live in Petrozavodsk, Karelia. If there are any other expats round here it would be great to meet you. There's some foreign students here but I've not found anyone else.

Otherwise, let me know if you're passing through on your travels and I'll show you around.

Ben

http://dict.space.4goo.net/city/105688?q=Petrozavodsk

to bad i never had much time to explore.

FatAndy
01-12-2013, 13:01
Everything goes with comparison, let you visit Magnitogorsk. Or Cherepovets.

TolkoRaz
01-12-2013, 15:00
....or Zelenodolsk (Зеленодольск)! :eek:

Benedikt
01-12-2013, 15:45

or where i am now, Lipetsk, during the night when the koke(sp?) ovens are opened up, it smell of rotten eggs and when the wind comes from the wrong side, it is even more fun....:evilgrin:

LESIN, owner of the metalurg company and one of the richest men in Russia is spending the absolute minimum to make life bearable.
at least where my building stands it is bearable 30 of 31 days a month.

penka
01-12-2013, 15:58
Apropos the smells. When I were a kid, my parents would take me on a train to go somewhere outside of Moscow. And the railroad sleepers (?, шпалы) were impregnated with tar (?, tjära in Swedish, don't recollect the Russian word) - the smell I loved. I still associate it with travel and adventure:-)

Benedikt
01-12-2013, 16:22
Apropos the smells. When I were a kid, my parents would take me on a train to go somewhere outside of Moscow. And the railroad sleepers (?, шпалы) were impregnated with tar (?, tjära in Swedish, don't recollect the Russian word) - the smell I loved. I still associate it with travel and adventure:-)

horrible, when they put new sleepers into the Metro system, not everything is made from concrete, the station smells for weeks. apparently wood is better than concrete, the sleepers are flexing after all when the trains are passing over, also on the -normal- trains. and concrete tends to crumble, not in one or 5 years, but the wooden sleepers are there since donkeys years.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/creosote_main.htm

penka
01-12-2013, 16:40
horrible, when they put new sleepers into the Metro system, not everything is made from concrete, the station smells for weeks. apparently wood is better than concrete, the sleepers are flexing after all when the trains are passing over, also on the -normal- trains. and concrete tends to crumble, not in one or 5 years, but the wooden sleepers are there since donkeys years.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/creosote_main.htm

Yes yes, but I am talking about the wooden ones.

This tar is also used to treat the lines for the boats - there is is this little place on Gotland where they make it.

Benedikt
01-12-2013, 16:57
[QUOTE=penka;1250581]Yes yes, but I am talking about the wooden ones.

and i also did understand.
creosote is/was also used when making the poles for wooden fencing, special in places where one has termites, they would otherwise eat them up in a few short weeks.....(South Africa was such a place, on the farm)

penka
01-12-2013, 17:15
[QUOTE=penka;1250581]Yes yes, but I am talking about the wooden ones.

and i also did understand.
creosote is/was also used when making the poles for wooden fencing, special in places where one has termites, they would otherwise eat them up in a few short weeks.....(South Africa was such a place, on the farm)

Started to think of protective impregnating: In Sweden the use the bi-product of the copper mining, red in colour, so called falu-röd. It makes the wood virtually indestructible to the elements. I think, they even sell it in Russia.

What's about those fachtverk houses with the dark-coloured beams? What do they use? Creosote, too?

Benedikt
01-12-2013, 18:25
[quote=Benedikt;1250586][COLOR="Red"]

Started to think of protective impregnating: In Sweden the use the bi-product of the copper mining, red in colour, so called falu-röd. It makes the wood virtually indestructible to the elements. I think, they even sell it in Russia.

What's about those fachtverk houses with the dark-coloured beams? What do they use? Creosote, too?

Holzteer – Wikipedia

even if it was made from wood. on the left side there is a link to a language of your choice and wiki will translate it. this is the english one:Pine tar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

when i was a kid we still had these guys in the forest who made charcoal. and -wood tar- was a by product that was used to impregnate wood.