PDA

View Full Version : I HATE THE EURO

Jack17
26-11-2013, 01:04
Do any of the economically savvy members on this site see the Euro falling in value relative to the dollar anytime soon?

Angela Merkel and her faux-country known as the EU is screwing me. I want to live in Italy, but all my money and income is in dollars; so, if I want to spend any of it in Italy, I take a 30% hit when I trade my dollars for euros. :mad:

Anyone see a 20-30% drop in the Euro's value? I would be happy even with a little false hope if anyone can offer it.

TolkoRaz
26-11-2013, 01:07
I am not an economist, but I think you will find that the Euro is actually strengthening.

Jack17
26-11-2013, 01:11
I knew I could always count on you for good news Tolka. Is it a requirement in all of your contracts that clients pay TolkaRaz Ltd. in euros?

TolkoRaz
26-11-2013, 01:17
No, they pay in Roubles or the Greenback!

Moving to Italy will provide you with the quality of life that you do not have in the US of A, and I guess that the cost of living would be much cheaper, so its a win, win situation for you and, of course, the Bella Italian ladies! ;)

Bella donna await you! :mml:

Alan65
26-11-2013, 01:29
Do any of the economically savvy members on this site see the Euro falling in value relative to the dollar anytime soon?

Angela Merkel and her faux-country known as the EU is screwing me. I want to live in Italy, but all my money and income is in dollars; so, if I want to spend any of it in Italy, I take a 30% hit when I trade my dollars for euros. :mad:

Anyone see a 20-30% drop in the Euro's value? I would be happy even with a little false hope if anyone can offer it.

I am old fashioned. ...still work un sterling. ...pounds, shillings and pence....with the odd farthing.

robertmf
26-11-2013, 02:06

:idea: Ask the local Sicilian mafia for suggestions.

Jack17
26-11-2013, 02:48

Moving to Italy will provide you with the quality of life that you do not have in the US of A, and I guess that the cost of living would be much cheaper, so its a win, win situation for you and, of course, the Bella Italian ladies! ;)

Thank you for applying your stilted, misinformed views of America to my reasons for moving to Italy. Obviously, your work hasn't brought you much to Western Europe or the US if you think it's cheaper for an American to live in Western Europe than at home.

My reasons for wanting to move to Italy have nothing to do with any relative "quality of life" between the US and Italy. Besides, Italy is just another country we occupy.

The EU is a sham economy based on a German quid pro quo that offers an assurance to European countries that Germany will bail them out in exchange for their sovereignty. At least Sweden and the UK were smart enough not to take that deal. It's 1940 all over again.

Only the German public will decide when it will end and that will happen when the average German tires of bailing out failing European economies. Until then . . .

penka
26-11-2013, 02:57
Thank you for applying your stilted, misinformed views of America to my reasons for moving to Italy. Obviously, your work hasn't brought you much to Western Europe or the US if you think it's cheaper for an American to live in Western Europe than at home.

My reasons for wanting to move to Italy have nothing to do with any relative "quality of life" between the US and Italy. Besides, Italy is just another country we occupy.

The EU is a sham economy based on a German quid pro quo that offers an assurance to European countries that Germany will bail them out in exchange for their sovereignty. At least Sweden and the UK were smart enough not to take that deal. It's 1940 all over again.

Only the German public will decide when it will end and that will happen when the average German tires of bailing out failing European economies. Until then . . .

Jack, what are you on??

penka
26-11-2013, 02:58
Alas, i think EUR won't live that long.

BabyFirefly
26-11-2013, 04:01
<< IRL econ person. I don't believe that the Euro will last too long.

Jack17
26-11-2013, 04:51
Jack, what are you on??
I'm "on" some wonderful French Pt washed down with a delightful Rhne.

And thanks for the encouraging words about the Euro. It'll be a happy day for me when Italy returns to the lira. Ciao bella!

Benedikt
26-11-2013, 05:13

if the italians would work a little bit harder, concentrate less on the antics of Bunga Bunga berlusconi, who is blackmailing the italian government, a lot would be better there.
the -rich north- wants to secede from the -poor south-, nothing new to that, one reads that since years, this was one reason for Czechoslovakia to break up.
ireland is leaving the EU -financial - safety Umbrella. the are in no more need for additional money to bail them out. they have done it by their own hard work and efficient government policies.
also Greece does not require, at least for the near future, any more money from the EU safety umbrella.Policies implemented were hard on the population, but from the looks it worked.Sitting in the Taverna and sipping Ouzo all day long is not the way to get things going. ( i have worked in Greece by the way).
As a political unity, the EU is a failure and always will be. There are just to many different states, nations, population differences there. And very little common ground can be found. Brussels and Strasbourg are a bottomless Moloch and there should be only one city run the business of the EU.
And if the two countries that pay in the most to brussels coffers, Germany and France,set the tone of the music played, what s wrong with that? or should they just pay, pail out every corrupt or insolvent bank and have no say in it? Frau Merkel is doing a good job.And it is up to the Europeans to decide what they want or how the EU should be run. good or bad, failure or not.

Benedikt
26-11-2013, 05:15
I'm "on" some wonderful French Pt washed down with a delightful Rhne.

And thanks for the encouraging words about the Euro. It'll be a happy day for me when Italy returns to the lira. Ciao bella!

and some pulled pork, real American fare? Help your own economy and not subsidize the failing Europeans...

robertmf
26-11-2013, 05:19
As a political unity, the EU is a failure and always will be. There are just to many different states, nations, population differences there.

:iagree: Who wants a homogenized Europe

Benedikt
26-11-2013, 05:29
:iagree: Who wants a homogenized Europe

and that is what makes Europe such a beautiful continent. The just should get the money situation and travelling parts (one Euro and one passport for all) in order,leave out the rest. and disband at least one Moloch. Either Strasbourg or Brussels. talks are on anyway already, of course each one is fighting tooth and claw to be the one who will stay.

robertmf
26-11-2013, 05:31
and that is what makes Europe such a beautiful continent. The just should get the money situation and travelling parts (one Euro and one passport for all) in order,leave out the rest. and disband at least one Moloch. Either Strasbourg or Brussels. talks are on anyway already, of course each one is fighting tooth and claw to be the one who will stay.

Good plan. I favor Strasbourg since there is no World Court and no NATO

Jack17
26-11-2013, 05:32
if the italians would work a little bit harder, concentrate less on the antics of Bunga Bunga berlusconi, who is blackmailing the italian government, a lot would be better there.

Quite possibly the only two countries in the world whose passport I could hold that wouldn't elicit some sarcastic condemnation from you Benedikt would be Austria and Russia.

Well, your lazy Italians happen to populate a country of 65 million that is richer than mighty Russia with 140 million and inestimably greater land and resources.

Since you're such an expert on Italy and Italians, how much time have you spent in Italia Benedikt? I doubt it's much since German cuisine is not very popular there.

As a political unity, the EU is a failure and always will be.

. . . and its future as a financial construct remains to be seen.

Benedikt
26-11-2013, 05:50
South Tirol (Sd Tirol) the most northern italian province is majority German speaking because it was part of Austria, and very little pasta there. They are asking for, and WILL get -autonomie- (sp?)status.
The Med around Caorle,Grado, Rimini,Lago Maggiore is still one of the favorite summer German vacation places. More german spoken there than Italian and at least during the vacation period, which is long there, you will find more Kraut und Wurst on the local Menu than Spagetti.
i might not have been everywhere in my life, as Chef or on vacation, but i do read, watch TV but not only ONE channel and for sure not the government sponsored ones and for sure not CNN or Fox News. Due to my work i also meet and talk to people from all kinds of live. And there i get my information (s) from.i also have Internet contact, real one, not 5000-likes- on Facebook, with people who LIVE and work in all these countries and we keep each other informed what really is happening.....so i consider myself well read and well informed and i also have my own opinion about things. and i have a right to voice it. some like it, others not, so be it.

Jack17
26-11-2013, 07:39
watch TV but not only ONE channe

That's admirable; but I take it from all that you haven't been to Italy which would explain your crass comment about Italians needing to "work harder."

tonytony
26-11-2013, 13:51

20% drop - not a chance unless something goes seriously wrong. Even when all the troubles in Greece were at their height it didn't fall that far.

A 20% drop would put EUR/USD down to 1.0840 from it's current 1.3550. It hasn't been that low since 2003.

The Euro reached a peak in 2008 of around 1.5800, so it's only down now 15% from that high.

The lowest it's been in the last five years is around the 1.2200 mark.

But having said all that, I could see the Euro dropping over the next six months to around the 1.3000 area

inorcist
26-11-2013, 14:11
I don't think it's a question of what happens to the Euro zone. It's more about what happens in the US. If Bernanke ever decides to exit quantitative easing the USD will appreciate towards other currencies.

Am just wondering if the US really want this to happen.

Benedikt
27-11-2013, 05:58
That's admirable; but I take it from all that you haven't been to Italy which would explain your crass comment about Italians needing to "work harder."

meeting and talking to the right people, and through my work i meet many a businessman/woman who know what is going on around the world. And i do read more than just the Playboy or Penthouse.
that for sure does not make me a know all but i consider myself quite informed about things.
and,maybe not the right way to compare, just because i don't smoke does it mean i know nothing about cigarettes?
and, a rarity in Russia indeed, i don't drink Vodka, but i am not ignorant to/ about the facts and effects.....
One does not need to be an expert in everything, one just has to know how to ask the right questions and than to see if one gets the correct answers.

Jack17
27-11-2013, 06:28
One does not need to be an expert in everything, one just has to know how to ask the right questions and than to see if one gets the correct answers.

OK, I'd just like to know what kind of questions you asked and answers you received to know that Italians need to "work harder?"

In fact Italia, per capita, is probably the most productive country on earth.

I think you better go think of some new questions to ask because I'm afraid you're not getting the right answers.

penka
27-11-2013, 06:38
I love Italy in as much I love the scenery, the architecture, art, food and drink.

Alas, men are far too short and talk as much as women, which is unbearable.