PDA

View Full Version : Is it “Illegal” NOT to carry your passport?

Preston
27-12-2007, 14:56
Quick question: Is it “illegal” NOT to be carrying your passport? (i.e. Visa/reg.). Indeed, I know it’s imprudent- yet my colleague, a fellow Brit., claims there is a law on the books that says foreigners must have documentation on them at all times. I disagree. Can anyone put this little spat to rest? Thanks!

Clean32
27-12-2007, 15:03
Quick question: Is it “illegal” NOT to be carrying your passport? (i.e. Visa/reg.). Indeed, I know it’s imprudent- yet my colleague, a fellow Brit., claims there is a law on the books that says foreigners must have documentation on them at all times. I disagree. Can anyone put this little spat to rest? Thanks!

foreigners must have documentation on them at all times. sheeesh eceryone know that, i think its 200 ruble fine??

matlockk
27-12-2007, 15:05
I live in Kiev now but when I was in Russia i understood it was the law. You need to be able to prove you are in the country legally ie stamp in passport and registration. I think the only way round it is to get a notarised copy if you don't want to carry the original around.

In 2 years I was pulled up twice for routine doc checks but with no problems.

In Kiev the police have no such powers:thumbsup:

27-12-2007, 19:59

There is no law that makes you carry your passport, but there is a law that says that you must be able to submit a valid ID at any control. For a non Russian, the passport or the vid na zhitelstvo is the only valid document.

Anyway concretely, if you carry a copy + NOTARIZED translation into Russian of passport + visa + migration card + registration, it should be enough, assuming you are polite with the cops :)

And don't make the mistake to begin by giving some money, you can REALLY get in trouble seriously!

Hawk
27-12-2007, 21:37
should police stop you without passport... you will be held for max 3 hours... unless you can bribe or convince otherwise

Hawk
27-12-2007, 21:38
Don't push your luck with russian police.....

right or wrong - you loose!

ezik
27-12-2007, 23:02
There is no law that makes you carry your passport, but there is a law that says that you must be able to submit a valid ID at any control. For a non Russian, the passport or the vid na zhitelstvo is the only valid document.

Anyway concretely, if you carry a copy + NOTARIZED translation into Russian of passport + visa + migration card + registration, it should be enough, assuming you are polite with the cops :)

And don't make the mistake to begin by giving some money, you can REALLY get in trouble seriously!

I think in most EU countries, the rule is the same: you have to carry valid ID. It is common sense in any country that you visit.

Just in case that the "question behind the question" is if you are going to run into trouble if you just carry your 'regulars' (passport with visa and registration card), just a few remarks.

1. The chance of getting randomly checked is small. But even so, if you got here legally, you have nothing to worry about. If you still run into trouble because a young, unexperienced police officer is after some money, ask for his ID. I've just been showing around my parents, who look like complete tourists, around all the major attractions in Moscow, crawling with police. No-one even was interested. Sorry, Mum & Dad, I tested with you.

2. If your friend is British, he has no problem carrying an untranslated passport, as Russia signed many "Apostille Treaties" taking away the need of a notarised translation. And your visa is always in Russian anyway.

3. Always (not only in Russia) carry the phone number of your Embassy in the country you visit.

Over the past weeks, I have had my passport taken by police officers for a few minutes at several events (a few house-warming parties and birthdays got a bit out of hand and my friend and me were just the ones to go out of the apartment to buy more drinks, of course running right into some inquisitive representatives of "Moscow's Finest", who responded to complaints of the neighbours). At all times, I got my passport back after a while. The key trick was not money: it was just a matter of being polite and correct and accepting that these guys were doing their job too.

leelee
28-12-2007, 10:04
I have been here for 5 years, and on the 2 or 3 occasions I have been asked for my passport I have always said its at home---- and no problems

Yes I understand you should have documents--- copy, translation etc etc

the last time I was asked the policeman got a bit stroppy---- and I showed him my Russian driving licence, and said look if I didnt have passport with all the stamps / reg etc etc how did I get this.

He then asked HOW DID YOU GET IT because your Russian is too shit to pass the written exam, plus you cant read Russian

I said -- AHHH yes but lucky for me this is Russia and a few rubles decided this problem---- to which he laughed and let me go

my advice----- better to carry a copy translated and notorized

I never carry my passport now, as it would be too much of a problem if I lost it

Lee

matlockk
28-12-2007, 13:20
I think in most EU countries, the rule is the same: you have to carry valid ID. It is common sense in any country that you visit.

I don't think that is strictly the case. Certainly in the Uk there is no obligation to carry ID and I'm English and if I go to another EU country I never carry ID around except if I'm coming or going. The problems lies in that Russians have internal passports which prove ID whereas Brits for example don't. This means we have to kart our external passport around in Russia with fear of losing it.

As I said, Ukraine has no such rules. It also amazes me that to pay by credit card in Stockman in Moscow I have to pull out my passport. In backward Ukraine we have such things as chip and pin!