PDA

View Full Version : today's holiday (in Russia), do YOU know what it is all about?

Benedikt
04-11-2013, 11:06
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/what-exactly-is-national-unity-day/488895.html

or is it,like for most of us, a day to add on to the weekend and an extra long weekend?

Gervais
04-11-2013, 11:11
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/what-exactly-is-national-unity-day/488895.html

or is it,like for most of us, a day to add on to the weekend and an extra long weekend?

I'm actually in the office as my Germany-based employer doesn't reckognize this day :D :D :D so not really a day-off
And thanks for the link... I had some arguments in the office about it and it turned out I was right ;)

SV1973a
04-11-2013, 11:39
I'm actually in the office as my Germany-based employer doesn't reckognize this day :D :D :D so not really a day-off
And thanks for the link... I had some arguments in the office about it and it turned out I was right ;)

Does your employer recognise 9th of May then ?

By the way, if you are employed in Russia, the Russian labour code is applicable, and your German employer just has to abide by that.

rusmeister
04-11-2013, 12:20
today's holiday (in Russia), do YOU know what it is all about?

Sure do! :)
Just came back from the church service.
Naturally, that would be totally missed in most mass media sources.

I think the "hip" church today would be the Kazansaya Bozhiya Mater' on the corner of Red Square.

robertmf
04-11-2013, 17:20

Lots of pretty colored flowers.

Is National Unity Day to promote LGBT tolerance in Russia? :evilgrin:

Benedikt
04-11-2013, 20:32

Meaning an official public holiday even the kraut has to honor that. it might not mean that you might have the day off today but than you must have another one as compensation.
We work in Russia and Russian labor code applies. tell this to your boss.
I know there are plenty people working today, hotels, restaurants, the transport, hospitals and zillions more. but they all get compensated.

inorcist
04-11-2013, 20:42
By the way, if you are employed in Russia, the Russian labour code is applicable, and your German employer just has to abide by that.

In some companies or professions it's just inevitable. You lose business or won't be able to meet certain deadlines if you don't work on those days.

And I don't mind working on Russian public holidays at all - double salary and I can take whichever day I want as compensation. Makes January my favorite month :)

robertmf
04-11-2013, 20:47
In some companies or professions it's just inevitable. You lose business or won't be able to meet certain deadlines if you don't work on those days.

And I don't mind working on Russian public holidays at all - double salary and I can take whichever day I want as compensation. Makes January my favorite month :)

That's the same here with "designated holidays", though those and the $double time$ varies greatly by industry; seldom for retail or fastfood workers.