Potty
18-10-2013, 13:18
Would you buy works of this artist?

okiey
18-10-2013, 13:34
I'd have to make space in my garage:)

bydand
18-10-2013, 18:32
Wow Potty! After seeing those works, I think I might be an artist, and didn't even know it!

Potty
18-10-2013, 18:37
This guy has had plenty of exhibitions, publications and orders. I don't get this world.

Jas
18-10-2013, 19:01
I wud love to do a art exhibition and centre stage is a exhibit what is simply entitled: The Monolith.

What's that then?
It's a square shaped 17ft glass slab what's filled with urine yet holds a gorgeously sculpted fascist eagle of pure gold. So this eagle is suspended on invisible links so it looks like its floating like a mystical vision somehow thru the mists.
The Monolith is about totalitarianism and it warns us that what might look nice on the outside.... can be horrible.

Another is just called "Flag" and its a huge American flag, but all the stars are instead tiny little crescent moons.

Another is called "Fear" and its lines of women in burkahs, but instead of it being a face veil, its gas masks what they are wearing.

Stuff like that is what I wud do...

Jack17
18-10-2013, 19:40
I like some of them.

celia
18-10-2013, 20:50
I believe that the artist is attempting to illustrate his belief in the superior reality of certain forms of associations heretofore neglected, in the omnipotence of the dream and in the disinterested play of thought, which leads to the permanent destruction of all other psychic mechanisms and to the substitution for them in the solution of the principal problems of life. :doh:

Potty
18-10-2013, 20:52
I believe that the artist is attempting to illustrate his belief in the superior reality of certain forms of associations heretofore neglected, in the omnipotence of the dream and in the disinterested play of thought, which leads to the permanent destruction of all other psychic mechanisms and to the substitution for them in the solution of the principal problems of life. :doh:

:D

Jas
18-10-2013, 20:57

It's not even English cos its like what google translate wud do, so its maybe just a machine translation from another language maybe...

Jack17
18-10-2013, 21:24
They display a certain wit, symmetry and beauty in my opinion. They are not monumental, like an early Picasso or Kandinsky, but they are good.

In other words, they are artistic, with their own beauty; but they are not great art.

penka
18-10-2013, 21:35
I see the elements of suprematism and cubism in 3D here... vague reminder of Tatlin, Malevitch, even Picasso perhaps, though without spark of genius of the latter. But all in all, it's not bad.

robertmf
18-10-2013, 21:37
:D

:yuk: To the trash bin. Not enduring nor evoke any particular emotion, which is one sign of 'good art'

Jas
18-10-2013, 21:37
They display a certain wit, symmetry and beauty in my opinion. They are not monumental, like an early Picasso or Kandinsky, but they are good.

In other words, they are artistic, with their own beauty; but they are not great art.

Which one do u prefer, the monolith, flag, or fear?

Jas
18-10-2013, 21:41
I see the elements of suprematism and cubism in 3D here... vague reminder of Tatlin, Malevitch, even Picasso perhaps, though without spark of genius of the latter. But all in all, it's not bad.

Yes, the monolith is about the supremacism of a totalitarian idealogy and the cube shows how just immovable that sort of thing can be. Yes, if u stand at a angle, the monolith wud give a 3 image. I dunno about Talin and the Malevitch- but I didn't copy nothing from them and I didnt copy the idea from Picasso also- I done it all meself I swear to god.

penka
18-10-2013, 22:03
Yes, the monolith is about the supremacism of a totalitarian idealogy and the cube shows how just immovable that sort of thing can be. Yes, if u stand at a angle, the monolith wud give a 3 image. I dunno about Talin and the Malevitch- but I didn't copy nothing from them and I didnt copy the idea from Picasso also- I done it all meself I swear to god.

What is "the suprematism of totalitarian ideology"????

celia
18-10-2013, 22:07
Jas, my post was meant to be humourous.

In my view installations such as this are meant to make you think, and I can readily come up with some ideas that the artist is trying to convey. The materials are all building materials and most are put together in some kind of structure. The materials are flimsy and modern (plywood, what we in Canada call gyprock (sheetrock), thin wood and so on. So to me the installations could be a comment on modern society - we "construct" things that may be superficially attractive but are made of shoddy materials that don't last. Or they may represent another common theme in literature and art - things look like they're permanent and solid, but rip away the facade and you have poor underpinnings, and shoddy workmanship, and holes and so on. I'm sure I could come up with several other ideas. :)

celia
18-10-2013, 22:08
Where's Yak when you need him? :)

penka
18-10-2013, 22:15

:)

And it was hilariously formulated, too!:11109:

Jas
18-10-2013, 22:17

In my view installations such as this are meant to make you think, and I can readily come up with some ideas that the artist is trying to convey. The materials are all building materials and most are put together in some kind of structure. The materials are flimsy and modern (plywood, what we in Canada call gyprock (sheetrock), thin wood and so on. So to me the installations could be a comment on modern society - we "construct" things that may be superficially attractive but are made of shoddy materials that don't last. Or they may represent another common theme in literature and art - things look like they're permanent and solid, but rip away the facade and you have poor underpinnings, and shoddy workmanship, and holes and so on. I'm sure I could come up with several other ideas. :)

But dont u c...... MONOLITH is along the exact same lines, its just opposite side: monolith is about things society constructs and cant remove, the monolith becomes bigger and more powerful than those what made it. Its about how thru democracy... u can get dictatorship of the kind its impossible to remove. It's not rubbish workmanship either, its beautiful and horrible all at once and its built on a scale bigger than the human.

This is the terrible bit: we build things of paper and plywood and cardboard (like in Potty's pictures)- then find them soulless and termporary and cos of this- we must build the monolith in hatred and revenge against the modern world what left us feeling so hopeless and cheap.

Jack17
18-10-2013, 23:00
Which one do u prefer, the monolith, flag, or fear?
Actually, the blinds with the black grafiti.

To echo Okiey, I actually own a piece of art similar to the second photo which my daughter hung in our garage. Obviously, my daughter is no art critic.

Alan65
18-10-2013, 23:14
The next time I do a house renovation I will take a few photos of the walls I have part demolished and then take a few photos of the skip I have put the rubbish in.