PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Podolsk

jennarosemyers
09-10-2013, 23:43
Hello! I am moving to Podolsk in November, does anyone have any information on apartments available? Also, hair salons, nail salons, any other english speaking places? Or in Moscow? THank you!

Jenna

Periwinkle
10-10-2013, 06:28
Why Podolsk, is a school sending you there?

FatAndy
10-10-2013, 10:14
Hi Jenna, welcome to Russian Federation and this forum!

Hello! I am moving to Podolsk in November, does anyone have any information on apartments available?
Check www.cian.ru

Also, hair salons, nail salons, any other english speaking places?
English speaking hair and nail salons in Podolsk? Hmmmm... :)
Just FYI - Podolsk is located in Moscow region, and Moscow region is a part of Russian Federation. Official language in RF is Russian, so I recommend you to learn it ASAP (not for philosophical discussions, just for everyday needs). It's not easy, but will be handy. ;)

Podolsk is located ~50 km from Moscow and there are a lot of suburb trains per day going to Moscow and back (schedule is available on the train station or at http://rasp.yandex.ru/city/213/direction?direction=msk_kur ). And even in Mocsow it's not so easy to find Eng speaking hair/nail care.

tzaritsa
10-10-2013, 16:24
Hi Jenna, welcome to Russian Federation and this forum!

Check www.cian.ru

English speaking hair and nail salons in Podolsk? Hmmmm... :)
Just FYI - Podolsk is located in Moscow region, and Moscow region is a part of Russian Federation. Official language in RF is Russian, so I recommend you to learn it ASAP (not for philosophical discussions, just for everyday needs). It's not easy, but will be handy. ;)

Podolsk is located ~50 km from Moscow and there are a lot of suburb trains per day going to Moscow and back (schedule is available on the train station or at http://rasp.yandex.ru/city/213/direction?direction=msk_kur ). And even in Mocsow it's not so easy to find Eng speaking hair/nail care.
Seems Podolsk is about 20 km from MKAD.I was there several times and its fast to get there.From platforma Tsaritsino 20-22 min by train.Or half an hour
by bus from Yuzhnaya metro.
Of course there are beauty salons and shops.Englishspeaking not sure.
Apartments for rent I dont have there right now but I have a room 19 sqm
in a 3 room apartment for 10000 rbs.If you are interested,please,let me know.

FatAndy
10-10-2013, 17:43
Seems Podolsk is about 20 km from MKAD.I was there several times and its fast to get there.From platforma Tsaritsino 20-22 min by train.Or half an hour
by bus from Yuzhnaya metro.
Of course there are beauty salons and shops.Englishspeaking not sure.
Apartments for rent I dont have there right now but I have a room 19 sqm
in a 3 room apartment for 10000 rbs.If you are interested,please,let me know.
~ distance by train from Kursky ;)

moscowcat
10-10-2013, 21:07
I would advise you to visit local Podosk city Internet sites. For Moscow regions sich sites usually have the names www.podolsksity.ru. The real estate must be cheaper in Podolks, then in Moscow. Kitty

George.G.
14-10-2013, 21:42
In my opinion Podolsk is not good place for expat at all. Horrible traffic in rush hours. Regular suburban trains are crowded and dirty . Far from metro system. Mostly poor wage workers live there.

Maine Surfer
15-10-2013, 01:26
In my opinion Podolsk is not good place for expat at all. Horrible traffic in rush hours. Regular suburban trains are crowded and dirty . Far from metro system. Mostly poor wage workers live there.

Entire Russia is not good for expats at all. Traffic, dirty, noisy. Not too many nail and hair salons with English speaking staff. Ugly girls. Oh yeah, have I mentioned long bread lines and bears street walking?

Jenna, welcome to Russia. You'll be fine. You'll find everything you need in Podolsk. For some odd rarefy missing there you may travel to nearby Moscow.

Periwinkle
15-10-2013, 13:41
Maine surfer, I have never met a foreigner who thought bears walked the streets when they first came here....
I have never been questioned in the US about bears in Russia.
I think it is a myth from a joke people probably made about fat older women wrapped up in fur coats, rather a bearish shape.

As to the OP, you never replied as to why Podolsk, but I think you may be rather isolated there. I think you can manage a manicure with little Russian, just point to a bottle that you want if your Russian is not good. I would not chose Podolsk, if it is a school, try to get somewhere less far from the city.

Maine Surfer
16-10-2013, 04:24
Maine surfer, I have never met a foreigner who thought bears walked the streets when they first came here....
I have never been questioned in the US about bears in Russia.
I think it is a myth from a joke people probably made about fat older women wrapped up in fur coats, rather a bearish shape.

As to the OP, you never replied as to why Podolsk, but I think you may be rather isolated there. I think you can manage a manicure with little Russian, just point to a bottle that you want if your Russian is not good. I would not chose Podolsk, if it is a school, try to get somewhere less far from the city.

back in the us i was asked about bears and bread lines numerous times.

Periwinkle
16-10-2013, 09:29
back in the us i was asked about bears and bread lines numerous times.

Breadlines I can see, bears in the streets, werid as I was never once asked that or heard people make comments about bear on streets in the US and have only heard of it myself anecdotally, such as here.

Maine Surfer
16-10-2013, 10:29
Breadlines I can see, bears in the streets, werid as I was never once asked that or heard people make comments about bear on streets in the US and have only heard of it myself anecdotally, such as here.

if you only knew what folks in maine asked me about russia...
then again, they asked similar questions about california and new york and some even about new hamster. wicked!