PDA

View Full Version : Living Gluten-free in Moscow

Astriddegaste
09-10-2013, 15:11
Hey,

I just started a blog on being celiac in Moscow and I'm trying to get more readers to be able to share more than my own experience!

If you know anyone with this disease, do pass this link on!
http://gfinmoscow.blogspot.ru/

The idea would be to create a mini-database of ideas and tips on how to adapt to life here without eating gluten.

Thanks!

FatAndy
09-10-2013, 15:38
Buckwheat, rice, millet, potatoes and Schaer + MakMaster products in http://dietica.msk.ru/

AstarD
09-10-2013, 15:55
Also course-ground corn meal is readily available here.

FatAndy
09-10-2013, 16:14
Also course-ground corn meal is readily available here.
Well... some fine-ground one as well - both called polenta.

Periwinkle
10-10-2013, 06:46
I have noticed new but expensive gluten free ice cream Bon Bon type things in Azbukha. They have lots of gluten free sauces, Adkins and Potts plus others. Also for sauces, Globus gourmet has the Cottage Delight line, which is mostly gluten free, but check a few of the sauces are not. The also carry a brand of cereals called Rude Health a few of which are also gluten free and tasty. I forgot Azbukha has two varieties of a yummy gluten free muslei.

Maybe add to your blog, restaurants you have found that were accommodating.

Astriddegaste
10-10-2013, 09:33
Buckwheat, rice, millet, potatoes and Schaer + MakMaster products in http://dietica.msk.ru/

FatAndy, you wrote in many posts that Millet is one of the gluten-free options.
It isn't true!!!!!!
(it's really important to make it clear for newly diagnosed celiac)

It is true that it contains less gluten than wheat, but it still has some!

But I agree with the rest.. :)

FatAndy
10-10-2013, 09:58
FatAndy, you wrote in many posts that Millet is one of the gluten-free options.
It isn't true!!!!!!
(it's really important to make it clear for newly diagnosed celiac)

It is true that it contains less gluten than wheat, but it still has some!
Maybe we talk about different things...

Our local просо (пшено) in Russian - millet in English - is gluten free :)

Maybe your local millet isn't - then accept my condolences ;)

FatAndy
10-10-2013, 10:04
I forgot Azbukha has two varieties of a yummy gluten free muslei.
In fact, they have at least 4, but different AV shops may vary in availability of each.

Periwinkle
10-10-2013, 10:26
I tend to agree with Fat Andy regarding the millet. As I understand it is wheat, rye and barley and derivatives of those that are not gluten free.
There was a debate before whether or not oats are included as gluten free. My understanding is that if they are processed in a facility where cross contamination could occur, it may be labeled as not gluten free, if the company bothers or is required to post that. That may be the case of some millet, that if it is produced by a western firm, they may say not gluten free for that reason. Of alternatively, some companies will say, may contain traces of.

FatAndy
10-10-2013, 10:32
I tend to agree with Fat Andy regarding the millet. As I understand it is wheat, rye and barley and derivatives of those that are not gluten free.
There was a debate before whether or not oats are included as gluten free. My understanding is that if they are processed in a facility where cross contamination could occur, it may be labeled as not gluten free, if the company bothers or is required to post that. That may be the case of some millet, that if it is produced by a western firm, they may say not gluten free for that reason. Of alternatively, some companies will say, may contain traces of.
In fact, oat, depending on sort (and/or workaround), may also contain zero gluten - those AV muesli you mentioned above, contain some oat, but are marked as GF.

Some additional info on Dietica shops - I used to go to that one at Taganka for some time, but then stopped. They're lasy, don't keep working hours, like to smoke in neighbour premise and generally are not friendly - I even may say in USSR times salespersons in shops were friendlier ;)

In contrary, at Dinamo shop (it is not so close to Dinamo, maybe 15-20 min by feet, or 30 rub/5min by marshrutka #19, the stop needed is Pistsovaya ul.) the salesperson is the girl somewhere from south, very accurate, helpful and friendly, immediately has offered me their discount card (whole 3% :rofl:), always remembers what I bought before, etc., etc.

Periwinkle
10-10-2013, 10:33
Oh by the way, Starbucks has a new gluten free cake but as usual staff seem unaware of cross contamination. Before they had a yummy chocolate cake that was often resting against other cakes and they would try to serve it with the common serving tongs.
This time I found the new cake first at the Starbucks in Sokolniki and had to explain to the girl she needed to use the plastic gloves, she was confused and then the manger came over, it seemed she knew but did not bother to tell her staff.
Then I saw it again in another Starbucks and it had paper wrapping outside all the slices, the one in Sokolniki did not have them, so assume they were removed....:(
I think I may have gotten ill from the one in Sokolniki and think they probably got cross contamination when they removed the wrapper before the display. The wrappers seem new, maybe they had them before but never used them.
The new cake is a drier cake with nuts.

Periwinkle
10-10-2013, 10:35
In fact, oat, depending on sort (and/or workaround), may also contain zero gluten - those AV muesli you mentioned above, contain some oat, but are marked as GF.

Yes, as I understand, unless there is cross contamination it is gluten free. BTW Azbukha also has gluten free breakfast oats from a company called Rosie's.

FatAndy
10-10-2013, 10:52
Oh by the way, Starbucks has a new gluten free cake but as usual staff seem unaware of cross contamination. Before they had a yummy chocolate cake that was often resting against other cakes and they would try to serve it with the common serving tongs.
This time I found the new cake first at the Starbucks in Sokolniki and had to explain to the girl she needed to use the plastic gloves, she was confused and then the manger came over, it seemed she knew but did not bother to tell her staff.
Then I saw it again in another Starbucks and it had paper wrapping outside all the slices, the one in Sokolniki did not have them, so assume they were removed....:(
I think I may have gotten ill from the one in Sokolniki and think they probably got cross contamination when they removed the wrapper before the display. The wrappers seem new, maybe they had them before but never used them.
The new cake is a drier cake with nuts.
Peri, do you go to Germany (maybe once-two per year)? They have a nice baking mix for cakes in REWE shops, I been there (Hannover and Muenchen) this year and bought it. Very tasty ;)
See http://www.rewe.de/besser-einkaufen/frei-von/produkte-und-infos.html - the second running row with pics, Lemon and Chocolate cakes (Zitronenkuchen, Schokoflockenkuchen).
Unfortunately they don't ship out of Germany, so only by personal visit... or maybe you have friends there to buy it for you and send here.

AstarD
10-10-2013, 11:40
Lorenz brand of snacks from Germany has some gluten-free potato chips. They are in the supermarket at Sokolniki shopping center.

Astriddegaste
11-10-2013, 10:07
Ok, so I asked a friend of mine who is doing a PhD in biology and apparently they would still be confused about whether there is gluten or not in millet???
In 2013??? Sounds a touch strange to me..

Anyways, some websites say it does and some say it doesn't.. I guess each one will have to gamble and see...

And thanks to everyone for their contribution!

Periwinkle
15-10-2013, 13:39
Hi Andy,

Have only been to Germany a few times but if go again will check it out:)

Btw the Bon Bon ice cream thingies are thirty percent off now in Azbuka, I think the coconut is the best.

AstarD
15-10-2013, 13:56
Wikipedia says:
Millets are rich in B vitamins (especially niacin, B6 and folic acid), calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Millets contain no gluten, so they are not suitable for raised bread. When combined with wheat (or xanthan gum for those who have celiac disease) they can be used for raised bread. Alone, they are suited for flatbread.

As none of the millets is closely related to wheat, they are appropriate foods for those with celiac disease or other forms of allergies/intolerance of wheat. However, millets are also a mild thyroid peroxidase inhibitor and probably should not be consumed in great quantities by those with thyroid disease.

Millet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FatAndy
15-10-2013, 14:40
Ok, so I asked a friend of mine who is doing a PhD in biology and apparently they would still be confused about whether there is gluten or not in millet???
In 2013??? Sounds a touch strange to me..

Anyways, some websites say it does and some say it doesn't.. I guess each one will have to gamble and see...

And thanks to everyone for their contribution!
Astrid, biology is a huge science. Me and my wife also did PhD, me on biophysics of photosynthesis, she on methane-producing bacteria and gas separation technologies. But almost everything (besides basic principles and structures) in my work was like Chinese alphabet for her, and vice versa.
So, if the friend of your is not directly involved into plant physiology, genetics and agro/biochemistry - there may appear the same situation ;)