PDA

View Full Version : Englishdroid - a highly satirical look at the world of English teaching

Philolog
08-10-2013, 02:29
From what I gather, members of this community who happen to be teaching English might not have stumbled upon this website before:

https://sites.google.com/site/englishdroid2/

I wonder how much time its creator took to come up with this stuff - just imagine him getting back after work every evening and adding some new pieces of rant. :11033:

Russian Lad
08-10-2013, 08:08
A good piece of writing though, thanks. There is a lot of truth there. I could have become a teacher as well (well, I was for a while), but then shifted to being a translator rather quickly. And have never regretted it.:)
I have had a good laugh over this one and remembered our friend Yakspeare:
https://sites.google.com/site/englishdroid2/school-life/shagging-the-students

VicY
08-10-2013, 09:18
From what I gather, members of this community who happen to be teaching English might not have stumbled upon this website before:

https://sites.google.com/site/englishdroid2/

I wonder how much time its creator took to come up with this stuff - just imagine him getting back after work every evening and adding some new pieces of rant. :11033:

But...where is the rant exactly?

Appears to be a tongue in cheek English resource website. Perhaps you could give a link to anything specific?

Philolog
08-10-2013, 12:49
A good piece of writing though, thanks. There is a lot of truth there. I could have become a teacher as well (well, I was for a while), but then shifted to being a translator rather quickly. And have never regretted it.:)

Oh that's interesting, as I did quite the opposite after a year in IT and Oil&Gas translation - when it comes to being a freelancer, you have no chance to compete with people from smaller towns who can also be qualified translators, but are ready to work for peanuts. An office job of translator isn't an option for me either. If you are an interpreter, though, that's different, but I find this job too exhausting to do. You can teach for 10 hours a day and since I mostly deal with lovely girls from 17 to 35, I sometimes wonder why I even get paid for that. :)

But...where is the rant exactly?

Appears to be a tongue in cheek English resource website. Perhaps you could give a link to anything specific?

Well, almost the whole website is full of bitter irony and in some cases become as opinionated as a personal diary.

Russian Lad
08-10-2013, 14:22
you have no chance to compete with people from smaller towns who can also be qualified translators, but are ready to work for peanuts.

When it comes to written translations, quite many Western bureaus pay USD 0.06-0.07 per word without many problems, just as private clients. I can translate up to 4K words per day easily, for example, maybe 3K on average. It is true that it is rather exhaustive though.:) I plan to retire soon.:) Well, I have been a freelancer since 2008 and have seen more money I would have ever seen in an office here in Saint Pete in the translator's capacity.:) I assure you there aren't too many small town pros.:)

tonytony
08-10-2013, 14:32

I clicked on the link and saw that he was using an old cartoon by Ronald Searle, a very well known British artist and cartoonist.

The cartoon comes from one of the old Nigel Molesworth books, originally published back in the 1950s. I'm not too sure which one it was, I think probably Down With Skool.

I wonder if Jas has read this book as a lot of her spelling is similar to that used in the book?

Philolog
08-10-2013, 14:52
When it comes to written translations, quite many Western bureaus pay USD 0.06-0.07 per word without many problems, just as private clients. I can translate up to 4K words per day easily, for example, maybe 3K on average. It is true that it is rather exhaustive though.:) I plan to retire soon.:) Well, I have been a freelancer since 2008 and have seen more money I would have ever seen in an office here in Saint Pete in the translator's capacity.:) I assure you there aren't too many small town pros.:)

That's certainly true that there aren't many small town pros, but in many cases people prefer low price over high quality. This is only confirmed by existence of such websites as engrish.com. :)

Russian Lad
08-10-2013, 14:59
That's certainly true that there aren't many small town pros, but in many cases people prefer low price over high quality. This is only confirmed by existence of such websites as engrish.com.

Well, it depends on the company.:) Many still want quality. But even many Russian translation bureaus pay 200-250 rubles per page, it still spells like 80-90K rubles per month if one works hard.:) Hardly a village remuneration in this country.:)

Philolog
08-10-2013, 15:31
Well, it depends on the company.:) Many still want quality. But even many Russian translation bureaus pay 200-250 rubles per page, it still spells like 80-90K rubles per month if one works hard.:) Hardly a village remuneration in this country.:)

Yes, and also I realise that being a translator is a job where time works against you, and for me that's a bad thing since I tend to procrastinate a lot. So I chose teaching where time is on my side. :)

VicY
08-10-2013, 17:18
Well, almost the whole website is full of bitter irony and in some cases become as opinionated as a personal diary.

LOL, you seem to have a peculiar fondness for the word "rant" :D

There is no ranting per se on that website, just taking one great piss out of the ESL profession. As I said earlier on, English teachers is a topic that deserves starting a thread (if not a category!) of its own...;)
However, looking at this gem of a website, I can't help thinking that the guy who put it together had both a huge chip oh his shoulder and a LOAD of free time on his hands :coffee:

Russian Lad
08-10-2013, 18:51
Yes, and also I realise that being a translator is a job where time works against you, and for me that's a bad thing since I tend to procrastinate a lot. So I chose teaching where time is on my side.

Speaking about time - you have to be much more punctual than a translator. You have to show up on time every day, spend money on presentable clothes and cologne and so forth, spend time on tidying up every day.:) I just get a certain deadline I have to meet, say, once a week.:) And for that I don't need to go outside, spend time and efforts while getting to a specific place, whatever the weather. I can even be drunk while working.:) And I don't need to meet all sorts of idiots every day and to pretend hard I like them in order to remain polite.:) Also, I translate new stuff all the time, it develops the brain, while you have to repeat the same stuff ad nauseam about Present Perfect and Present Continuous, etc., quite often to the same people all over again, while really hating it and knowing most of them will forget it all in a couple of hours anyway. I have been through this all.:)

Potty
08-10-2013, 19:49
One my close friend used to earn 100 $ per hour as a teacher in Moscow. But he is a native speaker and loves to talk. He is very good at it. He used to earn a looooot. And he worked at home or via Skype.

Russian Lad
08-10-2013, 20:06
Well, Potty, there are also interpreters who charge at least 1K dollars per day and even have riders like real stars for their trips to other cities/countries, but it is a tough market to get into, one has to be connected real well.

Potty
08-10-2013, 20:10
one has to be connected real well.

:agree: this too

TolkoRaz
08-10-2013, 22:45
One my close friend used to earn 100 $ per hour as a teacher in Moscow. .

I would not get out of bed for that! :eek:

Then again, I have known a lot of girls who would get into bed for far less! :D

Potty
08-10-2013, 22:50
I would not get out of bed for that! :eek:

Then again, I have known a lot of girls who would get into bed for far less! :D

i dont like you today.

TolkoRaz
08-10-2013, 22:53
i dont like you today.

You will be loving me again in the morning! ;)

Russian Lad
08-10-2013, 23:21
I would not get out of bed for that!

Then again, I have known a lot of girls who would get into bed for far less!

You are trying to say your salary/income (or whatever it is:)) is way over 15K dollars per month? Then probably you are the richest person on the forum here.:) What is your home address? :emote_popcorn:

TolkoRaz
09-10-2013, 00:29
You are trying to say your salary/income (or whatever it is:)) is way over 15K dollars per month? Then probably you are the richest person on the forum here.:) What is your home address? :emote_popcorn:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I doubt that very much! ;)

TolkoRaz
09-10-2013, 00:33
Я буду жить для тебя! :gorgeous:

Russian Lad
09-10-2013, 01:17
Я буду жить для тебя!

I believe the correct one should be: Я буду пахать для тебя.:)

TolkoRaz
09-10-2013, 01:34
RusskiLad!

Russian Lad
09-10-2013, 02:10
Tolko, just look at yourself - it is not even Friday and you are drinking already... :devil: