PDA

View Full Version : Question about holding a door open and the right of way

Ignatius
28-09-2013, 14:01
I've noticed at a door threshold Russian people always expect the person inside a store/restaurant/building to yield to the person entering. This makes zero sense from a practical standpoint - How can someone on the inside hold a door open the person entering? Normally this wouldn't be such a big deal, but in a country where stores allow only one door to be unlocked, it matters.

Has anyone else noticed this? I ask because just the other day a guy almost took my head off for daring to walk out before he had entered. I can't think of any other country that does this. Any reason why they do it?

Periwinkle
28-09-2013, 17:07
I have noticed it, you open a door to exit and people coming in try to barge by you....the only thing I can figure, is the usual self importance people here often seem to have.

Ignatius
29-09-2013, 00:30
Hmm... I disagree somewhat. Otherwise these "self-important" people whom you mention would be pushing their way out just as stubbornly as those who shove their way in. They don't. I've seen Russians with full grocery bags wait patiently as those from outside enter.

Maybe it's something about thresholds and their significance in the Russian psyche. "Never shake hands across a threshold. Never speak across a threshold. Never greet a guest until he enters. Etc.."

Philolog
29-09-2013, 02:28
Being a Russian person myself, I have to tell you that all more or less cultured people know some golden rules such as 1) let people exit first and only then enter 2) hold a door for another person if you can. It applies both to public transport and buildings, but Moscow is hopelessly overrun by people who know nothing about being polite (even if they did, they lost this useful skill when came to Moscow), so you can't expect people to observe the etiquette, although you will occassionally hear people shouting "Сначала выходят!" while pushing the train invaders aside.

robertmf
29-09-2013, 03:57
Being a Russian person myself, I have to tell you that all more or less cultured people know some golden rules such as 1) let people exit first and only then enter 2) hold a door for another person if you can.

Welcome and привет to expat.ru *Philolog* :wavey:

:beerbros: You are an optimist.

What to you think about spitting :question:

:drink:

Muromets
29-09-2013, 07:47
I always thought the door thing was due to conditioning because of the harsh weather. You let people in first because its cold/snowing/raining outside, whilst you on the inside are in a warm, dry environment. Just my perception you understand.

Muromets
29-09-2013, 07:49

Disgusting habit. Shows people just don't care about others around them. Seeing other people's bodily fluids (be it poo, pee, spit, snot, etc.) is never a good thing.

Only people I've ever seen that seem to do more of this are the Chinese.

Benedikt
29-09-2013, 08:24

:drink:[/QUOTE]
[/COLOR]

they (were at least in my time) spitting all over the place.
during the last olympics though they had lessons on Tv and radio and it was outlawed to spit...
did it help? don't know, i was not there for the olympics...
Sochi is coming, maybe a TV spot and radio message is due here as well?

BabyFirefly
29-09-2013, 08:37
I always thought the door thing was due to conditioning because of the harsh weather. You let people in first because its cold/snowing/raining outside, whilst you on the inside are in a warm, dry environment. Just my perception you understand.

That's exactly what I assumed. In better weather, yeah, it'd be weird, but when it's effin' freezing outside, the least I could do is let the people outside in first.

The spitting thing though is inexcusable.

VicY
29-09-2013, 10:00
[/COLOR]

they (were at least in my time) spitting all over the place.
during the last olympics though they had lessons on Tv and radio and it was outlawed to spit...
did it help? don't know, i was not there for the olympics...
Sochi is coming, maybe a TV spot and radio message is due here as well?

Are you talking about the Chinese and the Beijing Olympics, Benedikt?

I have to tell you that it's practically the same as before: you'll see and hear it everywhere.

Benedikt
29-09-2013, 10:39
Are you talking about the Chinese and the Beijing Olympics, Benedikt?

I have to tell you that it's practically the same as before: you'll see and hear it everywhere.

we all know that during the olympics most factories were just ordered to stop working and spitting out fumes and dirt. so there would be -clean- air during the olympic games. after the games, everything was quickly forgotten. and suppose as you say it is with the spitting the same.

Philolog
29-09-2013, 12:03
Welcome and привет to expat.ru *Philolog* :wavey:

:beerbros: You are an optimist.

Thanks! You can say I'm an optimist - I never get disappointed with people because I don't expect any good from them.

In fact, on this message board I've already seen so many interesting thoughts about Russia and its people as well as speculations about behaviour of people which is, in fact, not motivated by any traditions.

That's also funny that spitting seems to be a very delicate topic for expats. I had a British teacher who dedicated a whole lesson to annoying things and spitting (in Indonesia and Thailand) was on top of his list!

For one thing I know, most people who spit randomly on the streets are smokers. The rest depends on bad manners - not only spitting, but also blowing your nose with your fingers, applying makeup in public, picking your nose / teeth, etc.

Nobbynumbnuts
29-09-2013, 12:27
Thanks! You can say I'm an optimist - I never get disappointed with people because I don't expect any good from them.

In fact, on this message board I've already seen so many interesting thoughts about Russia and its people as well as speculations about behaviour of people which is, in fact, not motivated by any traditions.

That's also funny that spitting seems to be a very delicate topic for expats. I had a British teacher who dedicated a whole lesson to annoying things and spitting (in Indonesia and Thailand) was on top of his list!

For one thing I know, most people who spit randomly on the streets are smokers. The rest depends on bad manners - not only spitting, but also blowing your nose with your fingers, applying makeup in public, picking your nose / teeth, etc.

I don't have an issue with women putting on make up outside, i don't really see that as annoying or a health hazard. Spitting is different though and if you go to India you will see Indian p*ssing all over the place too!! Seems like a national pastime there....

Philolog
29-09-2013, 15:36
I don't have an issue with women putting on make up outside, i don't really see that as annoying or a health hazard.

Well, but some other women may. Maybe it's just because they're jealous. :)

Spitting is different though and if you go to India you will see Indian p*ssing all over the place too!! Seems like a national pastime there....

I think it's a sight to behold :applause:. Although here in Russia you might see an occasional outdoors pisser because many people still drink beer in the yard.

Nobbynumbnuts
29-09-2013, 15:46
......Although here in Russia you might see an occasional outdoors pisser because many people still drink beer in the yard.

You see it in the UK too!
The other thing in India is the chewing of betel nuts, then they spit the red juice all over the place. Many buildings in busy areas are stained red through it.