PDA

View Full Version : Muscovites -refreshingly honest-

Benedikt
27-09-2013, 10:56
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/moscow-ranks-as-refreshingly-honest-in-lost-wallet-test/486725.html

i was actually surprised by the article. and honestly i would have walked past the wallet and not picked it up.

because of the stories about scams involving gangs/people who than threatening you that you wanted to steal their money.

so, it is not all lost and there are honest people around. and not every dropped wallet might be on the ground purposely.

Kartoshka
27-09-2013, 22:03
Interesting article.

Once I was using an ATM in one of St Petersburg's central metro stations, and forgot to take my card at the end of the transaction. A passer-by came running after me to give it back, for which I was very grateful, as I can't imagine it would have been long before someone less honest spotted it, and that would have been the end of that.

andymackem
27-09-2013, 22:18
Interesting article.

Once I was using an ATM in one of St Petersburg's central metro stations, and forgot to take my card at the end of the transaction. A passer-by came running after me to give it back, for which I was very grateful, as I can't imagine it would have been long before someone less honest spotted it, and that would have been the end of that.

Most ATM's 'suck in' your card if it isn't removed from the slot after about one minute, so you may well have been OK (apart from the hassle of replacing the card). That happened to me at Leningradsky Vokzal in Moscow one time.

As for honesty, Russia! magazine also had a piece about it yesterday: http://readrussia.com/2013/09/26/the-unexpected-kindnesses-of-moscow-life/

xSnoofovich
28-09-2013, 00:25
Most ATM's 'suck in' your card if it isn't removed from the slot after about one minute, so

furthering this........ they even suck in your money after some time !!!! i had this happen to me here in moscow...

i went straight away to the bank manager, filled out a form, and only got my money back at the end of the month. (the manager said i didnt even have to come to speak with him, because the totals would have been counted and it would have been figured out i wwas the one that had not taken ma monye...)

Syed.Ahmed
28-09-2013, 09:40
Well honesty can never be lost 100%.

Benedikt
28-09-2013, 12:42
Well honesty can never be lost 100%.

it just gets never reported. good news is no news,or seldom, and does nothing for the ratings, no one is reading them.

FatAndy
28-09-2013, 17:59
Once upon a time I've lost my wallet in Moscow (1995-1997 timeframe). Unfortunately there were all of my docs - passport, military ticket, registration etc, and some money. Fortunately, also my business cards. Security guys from R-Style have found it and called to my office. ;)

Philolog
28-09-2013, 22:37
Yeah, it does happen, no matter how weird it may seem.
Eight years ago my wife had her wallet stolen at Yugo-Zapadnaya when she was getting on the bus, the thief ran away and the doors closed. A couple of days later she received a call from a man who claimed to have found her wallet. We met him - he turned out to be a sixty-something homeless person who had found it in a trash can - seems that the thieves just threw it away after having taken cash (about 50 rubles). The homeless man called her doctor whose business card he had found in the wallet to know her number! The credit cards and all other stuff was intact. When we offered him money for his help, he refused, saying that he's an old marine and it's his duty.

VicY
29-09-2013, 06:08
Recently an acquaintance of mine told me his story.
He left his iPod in the taxi that took him home from the airport. He was lamenting the loss of the device as well as the load of music that was on there, when the next day the driver of the taxi caught him at his building entrance saying that he'd been waiting there for hours, to return the iPod to him. :)