PDA

View Full Version : Dinner in Damascus

TolkoRaz
25-09-2013, 16:07
Following a 'hellish' trip to Algiers, I bounced onto Syria. During a brief visit to Damascus, I enjoyed a very pleasant dinner with my hosts devouring a sheep! :)

Whilst eating it, a mortar bomb hit the Russian Embassy, but thankfully on this occasion, no one was injured or killed :)

Next week, I shall be missing the usual 'excitement' but enjoying peaceful Switzerland, specifically Zurich and then Davos - hopefully I can find some time in my work schedule to enjoy a beer! :brush:

Benedikt
25-09-2013, 16:15
[QUOTE=TolkoRaz;1220779]Following a 'hellish' trip to Algiers, I bounced onto Syria. During a brief visit to Damascus, I enjoyed a very pleasant dinner with my hosts devouring a sheep! :)

what is/was the food UNDER the sheep? pasta or some sort of veggies ( this is the Chef in me).
as the guest of honor(?) did you have to eat the sheeps eyes? though i see no head there...

TolkoRaz
25-09-2013, 16:28
I skipped the eyes. And yes, it was a delicious pasta! :)

Nobbynumbnuts
25-09-2013, 17:32
The dish is simply known as Kharouf (sheep) in Arabic.
The animal slaughtered in the Islamic way (halal) then cleaned and washed.
It is boiled in a large pot with spices, onions, garlic and black lemon until tender. Then it's removed and spread with a paste of tomato paste, lemon juice and salt and roasted to brown it.
The pilaf rice is cooked using the liquid the sheep was cooked in, with chopped onions, salt and saffron. (it's usually rice in the Gulf states)
The rice is spread over a large round platter. The sheep is placed on top then a mixture of fried cashew nut, fried onions, fried sultanas and the chopped liver is scattered over the top.
Eat sitting on the floor with your left hand!

There are variations of this method (eggs are added to the rice etc.) but that pretty much it.
Usually served on Friday or special occasions.
A whole camel can also be prepared in a similar or whole fish

I have seen it cooked hundreds of times. I even went to the abattoir to see the animal slaughtered.
Not for the squeemish

FatAndy
25-09-2013, 17:42
A couple of weeks ago I've been with one of our suppliers to shooting club (Kievskoe shosse, under Moscow). After rifles+plates, hand guns and bow (traditional+block ones) shooting we had a nice dinner with the whole baranchik, yes.
Fantastic.

TolkoRaz
25-09-2013, 17:54
The dish is simply known as Kharouf (sheep) in Arabic.
The animal slaughtered in the Islamic way (halal) then cleaned and washed.
It is boiled in a large pot with spices, onions, garlic and black lemon until tender. Then it's removed and spread with a paste of tomato paste, lemon juice and salt and roasted to brown it.
The pilaf rice is cooked using the liquid the sheep was cooked in, with chopped onions, salt and saffron. (it's usually rice in the Gulf states)
The rice is spread over a large round platter. The sheep is placed on top then a mixture of fried cashew nut, fried onions, fried sultanas and the chopped liver is scattered over the top.
Eat sitting on the floor with your left hand!

There are variations of this method (eggs are added to the rice etc.) but that pretty much it.
Usually served on Friday or special occasions.
A whole camel can also be prepared in a similar or whole fish

I have seen it cooked hundreds of times. I even went to the abattoir to see the animal slaughtered.
Not for the squeemish

Baby camels are so tender! :gay:

TolkoRaz
25-09-2013, 17:56
A couple of weeks ago I've been with one of our suppliers to shooting club (Kievskoe shosse, under Moscow). After rifles+plates, hand guns and bow (traditional+block ones) shooting we had a nice dinner with the whole baranchik, yes.
Fantastic.

Vkusni Baranchik :10518:

Hope you waited until after the shooting before opening the Vodka? ;)

Nobbynumbnuts
25-09-2013, 18:07

Depends if you want to shag or eat them i suppose! :D

Benedikt
25-09-2013, 18:08

when i was on vacation in Tunisia ( i was down south in Nabeul) i had a hard time at the reception to convince them that i want to eat at a local restaurant. not a -local made- tourist trap.
i even -threatened- just to take a Taxi and ask the driver. Convinced the Concierge that i am a Chef and i just wanted to eat, nothing else...
was nice indeed. of course not a whole Camel, just the amount like a steak and spare ribs. nicely roasted with herbs and spices.
Down under they have a million loose camels,cull the young ones, make a good PR and ad campaign and people will pay top $ for a well cooked dish.
or sell them to Russia. Plenty people here who want to try or don't eat pork....

VicY
25-09-2013, 18:11
Tolko, if you don't mind my asking, what the hell do you do for a living, scampering around the world like that?!
No, no, that was a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer ;) I know we'll just have more banter from you, that is all...:p

Nobbynumbnuts
25-09-2013, 18:15
when i was on vacation in Tunisia ( i was down south in Nabeul) i had a hard time at the reception to convince them that i want to eat at a local restaurant. not a -local made- tourist trap.
i even -threatened- just to take a Taxi and ask the driver. Convinced the Concierge that i am a Chef and i just wanted to eat, nothing else...
was nice indeed. of course not a whole Camel, just the amount like a steak and spare ribs. nicely roasted with herbs and spices.
Down under they have a million loose camels,cull the young ones, make a good PR and ad campaign and people will pay top $ for a well cooked dish.
or sell them to Russia. Plenty people here who want to try or don't eat pork....

Could even work in the west. Just remove the head and perhaps omit the liver to appeal to general taste. Serve with side salad and fresh mint and cucumber yoghurt.
The secret is in the rice. The lamb is pretty easy to do but care and attention needs to be taken with the rice to get it right. It's very tasty.

Benedikt
25-09-2013, 18:39
Tolko, if you don't mind my asking, what the hell do you do for a living, scampering around the world like that?!
No, no, that was a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer ;) I know we'll just have more banter from you, that is all...:p

Kalashnikov Concern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
as consultant he sees the world. :10518:and before he had a different Avatar... could have been a connection?

Benedikt
25-09-2013, 19:44
The secret is in the rice. The lamb is pretty easy to do but care and attention needs to be taken with the rice to get it right. It's very tasty.[/QUOTE]

Cumin and Saffran (or at least lots of carrots) are being used here and there....

Nobbynumbnuts
25-09-2013, 20:07
The secret is in the rice. The lamb is pretty easy to do but care and attention needs to be taken with the rice to get it right. It's very tasty.

Cumin and Saffran (or at least lots of carrots) are being used here and there....[/QUOTE]

There are lots of variations. The rice should look a little like a biriyani rice.
It's a spectacular dish, great for large parties etc. Can be done with a leg of lamb or shoulder, cooked in the same way for less people.

FatAndy
26-09-2013, 01:43
Vkusni Baranchik :10518:

Hope you waited until after the shooting before opening the Vodka? ;)
Ochen' vkusny! Well, we took a couple of shots of Bulgarian brandy just in the bus, but during shooting of course not. And after the process we've continued with brandy too. ;)

TolkoRaz
26-09-2013, 09:51
Sounds like every okhotniki's dream! :)