PDA

View Full Version : Can I register a car in my own name??

markmarkov
18-12-2007, 11:37
Can anyone tell me if I can legally register a car in my own name? I have a U.S. passport and Moscow registration, 1 year ME visa which expires in June of 2008. No residency status.
I know it's better to register a car in someone else's name in my situation but I don't have any close friends or relatives here or anyone else I trust =)
Thank you,
Mark.

Clean32
18-12-2007, 11:42
the short answer is yes.

good luck

markmarkov
18-12-2007, 12:35
the short answer is yes.

good luck

Do you also have a long answer? Like "yes but GAI will see your American passport and try to extort money from you", etc. =))

xp@
18-12-2007, 18:27
The last time I checked, they would only register your car until the time that your own personal registration expires. Then you have to re-register your car when you show that you have extended/renewed your personal registration. Same rules apply to Russian driving licenses. I have one-year personal registration, and have had to get a new Russian driving license each year, after I show them my new registration. This always leaves me without a valid license for 1-3 weeks.

If you buy a car via a doverennost' (power of attorney), which can be good for up to 3 years, your car remains registered to the seller, but you can drive it, insure it, repair it, give others permission to drive it, etc. Many used cars are sold exactly this way. If you eventually find someone you trust, you can re-register the car in their name.

markmarkov
18-12-2007, 18:35
The last time I checked, they would only register your car until the time that your own personal registration expires. Then you have to re-register your car when you show that you have extended/renewed your personal registration. Same rules apply to Russian driving licenses. I have one-year personal registration, and have had to get a new Russian driving license each year, after I show them my new registration. This always leaves me without a valid license for 1-3 weeks.

If you buy a car via a doverennost' (power of attorney), which can be good for up to 3 years, your car remains registered to the seller, but you can drive it, insure it, repair it, give others permission to drive it, etc. Many used cars are sold exactly this way. If you eventually find someone you trust, you can re-register the car in their name.

xp@, thank you for responding but I am very confused about this "doverennost'"... what if in a few years I need to sell the car and I cannot locate the seller who gave it to me... how would he take it off "uchet"??
Mark.

Clean32
18-12-2007, 18:44
Mate, i wouldint do it, to hard, and to hard to often,

[ut it this way, would you walk around the streets waving the stars and stripes?? i doint think so. so how comfortable would you be driving a car around with russian plates saying THIS CAR IS REGISTERD TO A YANK.

but there is another way, and if you realy want do do that, PM me your mobile.

i am not going to write a 1000 words here, and then be critasied by peaple who just doint know!!

Halyavshik
18-12-2007, 20:14
xp@, thank you for responding but I am very confused about this "doverennost'"... what if in a few years I need to sell the car and I cannot locate the seller who gave it to me... how would he take it off "uchet"??
Mark.

When you buy a car by doverennost, you buy with the right to buy/sell the car and take it off uchot. The Doverennost is usually good for up to two years, so you usually have two years to remove the car from uchot and buy or sell it to someone else. I wouldn't advise, however, buying via doverennost and leaving the car in the seller's name for too long, because they can always change their mind and cancel the doverennost and then you're sh*t-out-of-luck.

If you buy by doverennost, the best thing to do is immediately remove it from uchot, and if you don't put it in your own name, transfer it to a Russian you trust very much (and won't cancel the doverennost) who won't have to re-register the car every time your visa expires.

markmarkov
19-12-2007, 11:42
When you buy a car by doverennost, you buy with the right to buy/sell the car and take it off uchot. The Doverennost is usually good for up to two years, so you usually have two years to remove the car from uchot and buy or sell it to someone else. I wouldn't advise, however, buying via doverennost and leaving the car in the seller's name for too long, because they can always change their mind and cancel the doverennost and then you're sh*t-out-of-luck.

If you buy by doverennost, the best thing to do is immediately remove it from uchot, and if you don't put it in your own name, transfer it to a Russian you trust very much (and won't cancel the doverennost) who won't have to re-register the car every time your visa expires.

Halyavshik,
"Doverennost" gives me the right to take the car out of the seller's name??? If that's the case, that changes things! I thought it's just a permission to drive their car...
Can you explain what you mean by "cancel the doverennost'"? I mean, I still have a notarized document in my hands and I can sell it... right? The seller will not know where the actual car is.

You recommendation makes perfect sense but what should I do if I don't have a Russian I trust?
Thanks,
Mark.

Clean32
19-12-2007, 11:50
When you buy a car by doverennost, you buy with the right to buy/sell the car and take it off uchot. The Doverennost is usually good for up to two years, so you usually have two years to remove the car from uchot and buy or sell it to someone else. .

The GAI are not happy with any thing over 6 months, and insurance companys are getting a bit tichy about it, and then theres the problem of doint the thech inspection and medicals as well.

I wouldn't advise, however, buying via doverennost and leaving the car in the seller's name for too long, because they can always change their mind and cancel the doverennost and then you're sh*t-out-of-luck. .

So true, picture this, second hand car from a russkie, 6 months down the track, a few rubles, where are you registed etc etc

.[/quote]If you buy by doverennost, the best thing to do is immediately remove it from uchot, and if you don't put it in your own name, transfer it to a Russian you trust very much (and won't cancel the doverennost) who won't have to re-register the car every time your visa expires.[/quote]

or put it under a company name?