PDA

View Full Version : USA vis-a-vis Russia history lesson

robertmf
13-09-2013, 16:23
RBTH - Many Americans are surprised to learn that until the early 20th century, the United States had better relations with Russia than with Britain or France. The United States had fought two bitter wars against Britain: the War of Independence and the War of 1812.

Additionally, the two nations endured many years of tension without war, mostly related to border issues in North America, where Canada remained British territory. During the American Civil War, the British government’s sympathy seemed to be with the Confederacy and there was great concern in Washington that the British would give enter the war on the side of the South.

The United States had its share of difficulties with France as well. While France had been a vital ally of the young nation during its War of Independence, relations deteriorated shortly afterward.

In 1793 the United States quarreled with France about neutrality and then fought a brief, undeclared war in 1798. By the time of the Civil War Americans were complaining about the French occupation of Mexico and that regime’s conduct toward Confederate rebels.

-- full article + images (http://rbth.ru/arts/2013/09/12/when_the_russian_navy_sailed_into_new_york_29761.html)

:fridaysign:

xSnoofovich
13-09-2013, 21:59
That's the thing, historically, Russia and America were friends.

Or should I said, Czarist Russia and America were friends.

The greatest tragedy........... Russia ever had was to kill off their royal family.....

robertmf
14-09-2013, 01:34

The greatest tragedy........... Russia ever had was to kill off their royal family.....

Yep. All the interbred European monarchs would have kept an even keel.

penka
14-09-2013, 02:57
Yep. All the interbred European monarchs would have kept an even keel.

Nah, not that interbred any longer - they've been marrying plebs eagerly and diluting the shallow gene pool.:D

penka
14-09-2013, 03:00

I'd say, the systematic extermination of a better part of nation was the greatest tragedy. The demise of the Imperial family - a sad incident.