PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about second hand?

Potty
12-09-2013, 15:21
Not only clothing. Books, furniture, household etc. Cars :)

robertmf
12-09-2013, 15:33

:book: What about second hand husbands :question:

Like an old chair or pair of shoes, used husbands are already broken in and comfortable :trampoline:

Potty
12-09-2013, 15:45

Wanted to mention it but thought it was indelicate. I see you and I are different :)
Ask rusmeister :D It will take a while to discuss it and I am too busy.

Potty
12-09-2013, 15:47
used husbands are already broken in and comfortable :trampoline:

Partially you are right. But like in every thing in life there are pluses and minuses.

robertmf
12-09-2013, 15:54
Partially you are right. But like in every thing in life there are pluses and minuses.

What are these '+' and '-' :question: Give us your list :mml:

:thumbsup: It is more interesting to talk about second hand husbands, than old sweaters & shoes.

Potty
12-09-2013, 15:58
What are these '+' and '-' :question: Give us your list :mml:

:thumbsup: It is more interesting to talk about second hand husbands, than old sweaters & shoes.

You are always welcome to start a new thread ;)

Benedikt
12-09-2013, 16:21

but as we know second hand is also not second hand.....
clothes: there is a shop in town where they have (expensive) clothes that are /were worn more or less once or twice only. -stars- also are frugal and don't give away or throw away their designer clothes.
so, i have no problem with that, though THIS instance it is mainly female clothing.
shoes are seldom for sale here second hand, no market, they all go to Africa, no joke. and in many instances you see clothes with odd sizes or colors that might not fit -there-, here in the second hand shops. why not...

books: we all know how expensive books are and not always easy to get. so basically what i do, i read a book once and only if it is a good hard cover will i keep them. the rest goes for sale/swap/exchange.

furniture ( excluding mattresses and bedding). refrigerators, ovens, furniture, why not. often it happens, one sees something in a show room, MUST have it, but at home it is than a different story.AVITO is your best friend here.

cars? very few of us have the -cash- to buy a new one. ( credit is so horrendous expensive here in Russia, might as well forget it.) so here it is important to really have someone who knows cars, who will check it out, a good garage maybe. i never would trust what a dealer sticker says on a car for sale. neither a private seller. they sell you a lemon for a new car...

robertmf
12-09-2013, 16:24
You are always welcome to start a new thread ;)

:emote_popcorn: I do not have second hand husband (or wife)

penka
12-09-2013, 16:39

Like an old chair or pair of shoes, used husbands are already broken in and comfortable :trampoline:

Nah, still lots of work to mold them into the desirable shape.

natlee
12-09-2013, 18:01
I personally would much rather have it all new, even if we're talking cars, and a few year old Lexus vs a brand new Toyota - as an example :) Ideally, a second hand car should come from a relative or a friend - then you have far less to worry about on all counts :) Clothes - no way, furniture - if it's antique, or in brilliant condition.. then maaaybe! :suspect: Books - people love second hand books, and I kinda hate them... you can't exactly wash them :D and God only knows what the previous owners used them for! :eek: :D I especially hate when second hand books are being given to my child! Ugh.

I didn't use to be this way :D We used to rent apts and sleep on other people's mattresses and even bedding :eek: Just thinking about it makes me wanna :vomit:

Russian Lad
12-09-2013, 18:26
Potty, are you hatching a business plan and launching a probe into the Moscow second hand goods market? :cool:
ЗЫ. I personally try to keep my possessions to an absolute minimum, second hand clothes are just as fine as second hand women. The only exception is computers - it is a really sacred territory, I always buy only new ones.

robertmf
12-09-2013, 19:27
Potty, are you hatching a business plan and launching a probe into the Moscow second hand goods market? :cool:

Due to the shortage of men, *Potty* is developing a business plan to re-cycle second hand husbands

:trampoline:

Potty
12-09-2013, 19:36
Due to the shortage of men, *Potty* is developing a business plan to re-cycle second hand husbands

:trampoline:

Yep. Because for some reason such "brand-new, unused, and unworn in the original packaging and/or with the original tags attached" items as Robert are not in demand ;)

TolkoRaz
12-09-2013, 21:50

Does that also include Husbands & Wives? :10310:

tonytony
12-09-2013, 22:11
I personally would much rather have it all new

Clothes - no way,

I especially hate when second hand books are being given to my child! Ugh.

Different people have different ideas and experiences.

I remember when our eldest was born and, at that time, money was very tight for us. We bought a lot of her clothes from Tesco and Asda - we weren't the sort of people to shop at the Gap or similar places.

But one place that there is a very active market in second hand baby clothes is the car boot sale. Go down to any car boot sale in the UK and you will find several people, at least, selling baby clothes.

We bought quite a lot of babygros and socks from car boot sales. A typical designer babygro/bodysuit would sell for 10 roubles rather than 400 roubles brand new in the shops.

Of course, everything was thoroughly washed before it went anywhere near our daughter.

Anyone who has been a parent will know how quickly they grow at that age and how long these babygros can be used for. So it is very useful to buy them cheaply and then sell them on again afterwards. We found we got better prices by selling on ebay. So, buy at a car boot sale and sell on ebay is my advice.

When it comes to books, there can definitely be a place for second hand books. My wife is Russian and we have raised our children bilingually using the one parent one language method. However, back then, finding Russian language children's books in the UK was not so easy and we were quite glad to share Russian language materials with other parents in a similar situation to us.

Also, one thing that is quite popular with parents of young babies in the UK is what are called 'glider chairs' - photo below. We got one of these from ebay, never really used it that much and then sold it on for a profit - again on ebay.

I don't think that there are things like car boot sales or ebay in Russia but you can pick up some very nice things very cheaply there.

Russian Lad
12-09-2013, 22:22
I don't think that there are things like car boot sales or ebay in Russia but you can pick up some very nice things very cheaply there.

Man, as far as I know the princess Potty, she airn't gonna buy used stuff. I think she is concocting a biz.:)

TolkoRaz
12-09-2013, 22:26
I think you are right - she is probably closely connected to the import / export biz! :11033:

Potty
12-09-2013, 23:02
Tony, isnt it cheap enough to buy baby clothing on sale? I think in europe stores make very good discounts like 70% twice a year, so there is no need to buy used. I often see used clothes is being sold on forums here, but it is more expensive than on sale in M&S or Carrefour.

TolkoRaz
12-09-2013, 23:06
I have never bought a new car - I could if I wanted to, but I would rather let somebody else pay the Import Tax etc and then pick up a nice low mileage, high specification Mercedes which is only a few months / years old.

I would never buy a car from a Dog Owner - especially if the dog has been in the vehicle! :eek:

natlee
12-09-2013, 23:14
I would never buy a car from a Dog Owner - especially if the dog has been in the vehicle! :eek: I'd never buy one from a dog owner either because of my daughter's allergy :( but most importantly, I'd never buy one from a smoker! :mad:

TolkoRaz
13-09-2013, 00:26
Ayrton Senna's wife received a phone call yesterday - apparently the car is fixed! :zoom:

celia
13-09-2013, 01:34
The world has changed in many ways, and one of those changes is that clothes are much cheaper than they used to be. So it doesn't make sense to buy second hand. And in England, where charity shops used to be a good place to get something cheap, "Mary Queen of Shops" became a consultant to one of the charity shop chains and turned perfectly fine charity shops into retail experiences, exactly when it was becoming much cheaper to buy new clothes. All of them seem to have taken her advice and I don't even bother going into them any more when I'm in England.

I love second hand books and second hand book shops but I know some women have concerns about germs (unfounded as far as I'm concerned).

And there will always be a market for second hand cars because cars are an expensive item, but I've had a few and would not bother getting another. But in Canada you can buy a new car with 0% financing, whereas I assume it would be quite expensive to finance a car in Russia.

robertmf
13-09-2013, 02:36

There are also no Salvation Army or Goodwill stores for used household goods collection & re-sale.

Craigslist Moscow (http://moscow.craigslist.org/) seems to have a toehold.

btw which ones Pink?
13-09-2013, 03:37
The problem in most second hand stores is that the men's clothing section usually is very small. Also, in the west the prices of used clothing took a substantial hike when stores decided to cash in on the recent popularity of second hand shopping.

Ghostly Presence
17-09-2013, 14:21

I had good experience with buying used cars - I had three used cars before I bought a new one. It is quite likely that my next car will be a used one, that is if I deem having a car necessary since in this city it is increasingly becoming impossible to drive. Frankly, I hardly use my car these days, except for summer trips to the dacha.

kyrie
18-09-2013, 22:49
It depends if it is slightly used or not..:) slightly used will still be okay..:) and consider it affordable..:)

cadiguzel
19-09-2013, 10:02
I really like to buy second hand household stuff. I feel like I'm getting it with all the history or the past of the stuff. For example, if I buy a wine-stand; I think of the taste of old wines stood there for years and years.

Anyways, where I can buy second hand household stuff?

Jack17
19-09-2013, 10:11
Let's face it; after 14, it's all second hand.