PDA

View Full Version : HQS / General Manager / Co-owner

JanC
10-09-2013, 10:43
My girlfriend and I both own a 1/6th share in the Russian company we effectively run. Our current general manager, a friend, wants to resign the position and I'm the most suitable replacement in practical terms.

I can't figure out what I need from a legal point of view to be eligible...do we need to apply for a HQS? How does my co-ownership of the company factor into it, if at all?

Hayley
10-09-2013, 10:59
My girlfriend and I both own a 1/6th share in the Russian company we effectively run. Our current general manager, a friend, wants to resign the position and I'm the most suitable replacement in practical terms.

I can't figure out what I need from a legal point of view to be eligible...do we need to apply for a HQS? How does my co-ownership of the company factor into it, if at all?

Ok - so you would be appointed Генеральный директор - right? Well, then yes - make an HQS invitation and assign yourself pay accordingly and voila, its a done deal.

Your ownership does not really factor in it at all, you want to be a hired employee, so you go the regular route. Owning a business vs having a right to work - this is all you are looking at. In the first case you do not need anything special, in the second case you need a right to work.

JanC
10-09-2013, 11:43
Right, that's as much as I had figured from what I found online. Spasibo!

ilya25
11-09-2013, 04:24
this is going to be too complex - gd and foreign citizen - i would suggest to formally appoint a russian citizen to make life easier

Hayley
11-09-2013, 11:40
this is going to be too complex - gd and foreign citizen - i would suggest to formally appoint a russian citizen to make life easier

I would say its feasible - we have done it, and I know people who have successfully done it as well. This will save you the trouble of finding someone you trust to the point of appointing him GD of your company.

tonytony
11-09-2013, 12:18

I'm afraid you're wrong on this. As Hayley says above, it is very straightforward - I know from personal experience.

JanC
16-09-2013, 11:44
From what I read it's fairly straight forward, yes. Looking to put things in motion this week.

Are the HQS entirely exempt from the social taxes the employer has to pay? There seem to have been a few changes to these laws the last couple of years, difficult to keep track.

tonytony
16-09-2013, 23:01
From what I read it's fairly straight forward, yes. Looking to put things in motion this week.

Are the HQS entirely exempt from the social taxes the employer has to pay? There seem to have been a few changes to these laws the last couple of years, difficult to keep track.

I'll have to check, but I believe that my company aren't paying anything into any of the social funds/pension for me.

ilya25
18-09-2013, 01:04
Complexties will be with aligning HQS period with GD election period - you may need to action once each period is over so basically you will have 2 periods either to extend or to renew employment contract. And if HQS is not extended - you will need urgently replace GD

Also GD is the offical representative of the company and will have to deal with authorities during inspections etc

ilya25
18-09-2013, 01:07

Yes no social taxes so far (except work excident insurance I think - but for office type EEs it is 0,2% ) and income tax is at 13% rate regardless of days in Russia (but only employment income)

But annual salary should be 2 mln and quaterly reported to authorities

ilya25
18-09-2013, 01:10
If you don't trust - you need to structure corporate docs accordigly and limit GD powers :)

ilya25
18-09-2013, 01:14
Can you share your experience so far? How are you dealing with authorities?

Jack17
18-09-2013, 02:41
Jan, just hire Rusmeister.