PDA

View Full Version : My body hates Russia! (and canker sores)

iamerica
16-12-2007, 23:09
I've been here two months and I've had more minor illnesses/conditions since I've been here than I've ever had in my entire life. Colds, pimples, canker sores... just one irritation after another. I'm generally a very healthy person. Any other expats experience serious body rebellion while in Russia?

And does anyone know of a canker sore medicine sold over the counter here?

SalTheReturn
17-12-2007, 01:03
I've been here two months and I've had more minor illnesses/conditions since I've been here than I've ever had in my entire life. Colds, pimples, canker sores... just one irritation after another. I'm generally a very healthy person. Any other expats experience serious body rebellion while in Russia?

typical teacher life at big mac schools, honestly it is a lot about that

i yet remember happy sound faces at the beginning of sept turning into monsters as little as 2 months later

very few individuals were able to keep fit, healthy, sound looking

i saw people getting violet (no kidding you) in their skin, girls getting fatter, people sick of food poisoning for other 2 months, people getting very weird scars on their hands, people losing 15kgs in one year in moscow, people losig hairs, etc...

one day you will realize why working in moscow in such condition it is just something inhuman

good luck

17-12-2007, 09:38
> i saw people getting violet (no kidding you) in their skin, girls getting fatter, people sick of food poisoning for other 2 months, people getting very weird scars on their hands, people losing 15kgs in one year in moscow, people losig hairs, etc...

I suggest we elect this one as the MOST STUPID POST of the year :applause:

SalTheReturn
17-12-2007, 09:51
> i saw people getting violet (no kidding you) in their skin, girls getting fatter, people sick of food poisoning for other 2 months, people getting very weird scars on their hands, people losing 15kgs in one year in moscow, people losig hairs, etc...

I suggest we elect this one as the MOST STUPID POST of the year :applause:

no the most realistic Guest.

Try to be on a 800bucks a month salary in Moscow, running all day from one spot to another, having split-shifts, eating crap from the kiosk, and finally getting back to a thirld world apartment. Do it for 1 month and then tell me how you feel mate.

Take care

Sal

Clean32
17-12-2007, 11:20

I know of a couple of peaple who have had problems here, but nothing quite like what you are decribing, may be the change in diet, lack of greens. oh and the zero humity can play Havoc. i still have problems with my Feet and cracked skin, but thats the lack of humidity and having to put on boots all the time

SalTheReturn
17-12-2007, 13:30
I know of a couple of peaple who have had problems here, but nothing quite like what you are decribing, may be the change in diet, lack of greens. oh and the zero humity can play Havoc. i still have problems with my Feet and cracked skin, but thats the lack of humidity and having to put on boots all the time

you do not understand Mac/Kroshka Kartoshka/the bliny kiosk it is pretty much all she has enjoyed during 2 months of lunch breaks?
how can she feel good living like that?

she could start making sandwiched at home, buying better food, doing some sports, etc...thats all she needs

Miracle77777
18-12-2007, 01:04

Dear Iamerica...
In some point you are right, though I do think ther is a little exxageration in your post...especially in post of our lovely Sal ^-*
Dirty air (need no explanations).. :respect:
Obviously, not very good water (even for our skin, I am not speaking about drink it!!!!) :coffee::eek:
Lack of time simply to take care of yourself (like relaxing baths and minor treatments for our poor tired legs and hairs...!) :farout:
But, we should remember - the most of our illnesses are from our nerves
Of course I do not mean serious problems..(maybe yes)...but as for colds and pimples for sure. :verycool:
Plus - unhealthy food - but here it is your own problem...if you want to be healthy, you need organised your feed-times...It is not very difficult but very effective!! :thumbsup:
As for me, when I used to live in South of Russia, I had very dangerous and most unpleasant thing - an allergy!! :farout: :cussing:
Awful allergy on local vegetation...especially in August and in spring...
And here, it is too cold for that vegetation - so I saved now :bowdown: :bowdown:
Have a good health!!

iamerica
18-12-2007, 01:14
Thank you Miracle :) I hadn't thought about the water, not sure what I can do about that though. Maybe my body will adjust.

iamerica
18-12-2007, 01:15
you do not understand Mac/Kroshka Kartoshka/the bliny kiosk it is pretty much all she has enjoyed during 2 months of lunch breaks?
how can she feel good living like that?

she could start making sandwiched at home, buying better food, doing some sports, etc...thats all she needs

How do you know what I've been eating, where I eat, or how much exercise I do? You are a very presumptuous fellow, I must say.

Generally I eat a lots of bananas, apples, yogurt and nuts. I usually buy the prepared chicken at supermarkets and a lot of "витамины" salad. And I do work out regularly. The dry air might have something to do with my skin, but I don't know. It's frustrating.

Anyway, I didn't post here to defend my lifestyle habits, I just wanted someone to commiserate with and some advice on how to make my canker sore go away.

SalTheReturn
18-12-2007, 01:29
How do you know what I've been eating, where I eat, or how much exercise I do? You are a very presumptuous fellow, I must say.

Generally I eat a lots of bananas, apples, yogurt and nuts. I usually buy the prepared chicken at supermarkets and a lot of "витамины" salad. And I do work out regularly. The dry air might have something to do with my skin, but I don't know. It's frustrating.

Anyway, I didn't post here to defend my lifestyle habits, I just wanted someone to commiserate with and some advice on how to make my canker sore go away.

if what you are saying it is true, hence making up a valuable exception in between the Mac's teachers, it is weird you do not feel well

TO MIRACLE:
you are totally wrong, air it is just a factor. Imagine, as i told to Guest, you are not used to Moscow and you end up going all over town, working split shifts, and probably eating at a kiosk 5 days a week. Then tell me how you feel.

Miracle77777
18-12-2007, 01:39
if what you are saying it is true, hence making up a valuable exception in between the Mac's teachers, it is weird you do not feel well

TO MIRACLE:
you are totally wrong, air it is just a factor. Imagine, as i told to Guest, you are not used to Moscow and you end up going all over town, working split shifts, and probably eating at a kiosk 5 days a week. Then tell me how you feel.

TO SAL:
That is very strange...I thought that I put there some more issues....Maybe you already sleepy??:D:inlove:
Of course an air - just a factor - who did not know about it, Kolumb!! :D

As for eating at a kiosk - Iamerica already wrote here, that she feed good and healthy...so there is no point....

And one more - dear Sal - where did you work with so "awfull" conditions?
Keep sleeping and have a nice dreams^-*

iamerica
18-12-2007, 01:50
The "big mac" schools aren't nearly as bad a you say they are. I don't know what kind of experience you've had, but I'm perfectly happy. Sure I work late at night sometimes, but I'm only working 22 hours a week. That's nothing compared to what some of my friends are doing back in the States, who are working 4 times that number of hours. My income isn't extraordinary but it's more than sufficient to feed myself adequately, pay for a phone/Internet etc and still have left over to save away.

I'm tired of defending myself and my employer. Just give it up.

Miracle77777
18-12-2007, 02:04

Sorry for treat you not well....
Anyway, I wanted to help you a little :)
Regards...

Korotky Gennady
18-12-2007, 03:30
i saw people getting violet (no kidding you) in their skin, girls getting fatter, people sick of food poisoning for other 2 months, people getting very weird scars on their hands, people losing 15kgs in one year in moscow, people losig hairs, etc...

one day you will realize why working in moscow in such condition it is just something inhuman

Our clever Sal... i live here in Moscow all my life and i have grown succesfully and i didn't become violet, and i have hair on my head and i EVEN DIDN'T GET " VERY WEIRD "SCARS" on my hands yet... !

Not saying about that if i was losing 15 kgs a year, i have dissapeared since long ago already.... :ignore:

Korotky Gennady
18-12-2007, 03:45
no the most realistic Guest.

Try to be on a 800bucks a month salary in Moscow, running all day from one spot to another, having split-shifts, eating crap from the kiosk, and finally getting back to a thirld world apartment. Do it for 1 month and then tell me how you feel mate.

Take care

Sal

Sal sorry... Either you, man, are a fables-taler by nature or everything is in the mess in your head.

Two monthes ago i asked you for purpose how much the teachers work and how much people earned in Italy... - i asked you about it becoz i am a teacher myself and this point is interesting me much...

You answered that the italian teachers work 12 hours a week and earn 2000 euro in average...

Now you are writting the thing which is straight opposite to it... :confused: that you earned only 800 dollars in moscow and all day you have been on the run from one spot to another one in order to earn these 800 bucks ?

So when are you speaking the truth ? If you get only 800 dollars of month salary, why did you work in such bad place as Moscow is... and not to live in your rich Italy ?

jetdriver
18-12-2007, 04:03
I'll commiserate with you!! I have always suffered with cankers, but here they do seem so much worse!! I haven't found an explanation yet either (other than maybe a different diet -- although I eat very healthily... and different stresses than I am used to). Unfortunately I don't have a good solution for them... but I find if I put salt on them they clear up a bit quicker. ...hurts like a bitch though!!!

SalTheReturn
18-12-2007, 09:55
The "big mac" schools aren't nearly as bad a you say they are. I don't know what kind of experience you've had, but I'm perfectly happy. Sure I work late at night sometimes, but I'm only working 22 hours a week. That's nothing compared to what some of my friends are doing back in the States, who are working 4 times that number of hours. My income isn't extraordinary but it's more than sufficient to feed myself adequately, pay for a phone/Internet etc and still have left over to save away.

you do not have to defend your employer even because we all know how that works and we have all been there at some stages

if you are happy believe me i am happy too (and i excuse myself if i am giving you a wrong idea)

PS. 22hrs a week do not include travelling time
PSS. according to Moscow's standards, and considering the expats thing, that salary is ways out of being ok

SalTheReturn
18-12-2007, 10:00
Sal sorry... Either you, man, are a fables-taler by nature or everything is in the mess in your head.

Two monthes ago i asked you for purpose how much the teachers work and how much people earned in Italy... - i asked you about it becoz i am a teacher myself and this point is interesting me much...

You answered that the italian teachers work 12 hours a week and earn 2000 euro in average...

Now you are writting the thing which is straight opposite to it... :confused: that you earned only 800 dollars in moscow and all day you have been on the run from one spot to another one in order to earn these 800 bucks ?

So when are you speaking the truth ? If you get only 800 dollars of month salary, why did you work in such bad place as Moscow is... and not to live in your rich Italy ?

liars do not deserve an answer especially if you think i have always been honest
i have never spoken about my salary in Moscow so I am wonderingg what you are up for

2000 euros a months in italy is what you get if you take the students into your flat with boarding

as concern the topic of the thread: I have seen the unhealthyness of people on the face of many big mac teachers and your case it is not ok because you are russians and lived there since birth.
i am talking about people moving to moscow from other countries

18-12-2007, 10:16
Big Mac? Try the BIG TASTY with bacon, even better! But between a Bigmac and a sausage bought in a typical kiosk, you have more risk to become "violet" with the sausage than with the bigmac!

Anyway Sal, you couldn't try (I wrote TRY...) to think a bit before writing such BS? Getting violet... pfffttt !!!!

And About fat girls, well, Italian mamas can teach our SUPERB Russian girls a lot of how to become fat :farout: Eating macaroni, pfftttt !!!

SalTheReturn
18-12-2007, 12:01
Big Mac? Try the BIG TASTY with bacon, even better! But between a Bigmac and a sausage bought in a typical kiosk, you have more risk to become "violet" with the sausage than with the bigmac!

Anyway Sal, you couldn't try (I wrote TRY...) to think a bit before writing such BS? Getting violet... pfffttt !!!!

And About fat girls, well, Italian mamas can teach our SUPERB Russian girls a lot of how to become fat :farout: Eating macaroni, pfftttt !!!

maybe other foreign girls can admit this...seems like absuing of fat russian food did not have very nice effects on some of them.

whatver Guest....

dick
18-12-2007, 13:51
Did any of you think about sun light? Maybe only plants need it?

Did you know we get vitamin from the sun?

Dry in Moscow? With all the snow and rain we get, I wish it was dryer.
It may not be like living next to the sea but when it gets to -30, I can see the water freezing it the air.

How about the cold? Chap lips anyone?

When it's cold your pours on your skin close to keep you warm, blood and water pull inside away from the outer layer.

Try the banya, and go to a tanning salon, to help with stress just work out.

You can also buy a little sun lamp, And it wouldn't hurt get out of the city and get some fresh air.

And Sal they have little green men running around here too! They tried to give me moon cheese! So watch out, if the bears don't get you the little green men will!

Sinestro
18-12-2007, 20:01
But, we should remember - the most of our illnesses are from our nerves

Great Post!!

Stress is a serious illness.

Albertina
18-12-2007, 22:28
I'd like to add to all the other factors one more : people... Grumpy, angry and aggressive, which in itself makes you feel sick :brush:
Besides, they smell :brush::brush::brush: They are so covered with bacteria, viruses and fungus that there is no wonder you catch all that shit :brush::brush:

Miracle77777
18-12-2007, 22:33
?

You are teacher?@!
Great...what is your specialty???
Russian literarture?
:bookworm:

Clean32
19-12-2007, 08:20
Dry in Moscow? With all the snow and rain we get, I wish it was dryer.
It may not be like living next to the sea but when it gets to -30, I can see the water freezing it the air.

!

The original poster, is a pilot, he has done is MET, so he will probably be rolling around the floor laughing at your statement LOL as an i.

iamerica
19-12-2007, 10:02
The original poster, is a pilot, he has done is MET, so he will probably be rolling around the floor laughing at your statement LOL as an i.
WTF?

johnrambo2007
19-12-2007, 11:38
The best OTC medicine for mouth ulcers that I have come across is "Adcortyl in Orbase". It is widely available in the UK pharamcy chain Boots. So, if you can't find it in Moscow, maybe you could ask a friend visiting the UK to pick it for you from there.

Good luck! I suffer from them myself and I know how painful they can be.

Clean32
19-12-2007, 11:40
WTF?

ops jetdriver is LOL

dick
21-12-2007, 04:26

Sorry doc Clean32 I was referring to your post, the one you say there's a lack of humidity. I guess there is a lack of humidity in those sweaty smelly boots of yours too. You don't see clouds everyday here? Sorry to tell you this but when it rains there is 100% humidity.

Korotky Gennady
21-12-2007, 10:01

Take care

Sal

Sal, who wrote these lines ? Is it you... isn't ? Whom did you mean when you told about 800 dollars a month and in order to earn them... one must be on the run all day long... living in that time in the "thirld world apartment ?

If it was you why did you do it if you could live in your rich Italy and earnt 2000 euro a month for much more easy work ? :eek:

SalTheReturn
21-12-2007, 11:33
Sal, who wrote these lines ? Is it you... isn't ? Whom did you mean when you told about 800 dollars a month and in order to earn them... one must be on the run all day long... living in that time in the "thirld world apartment ?

If it was you why did you do it if you could live in your rich Italy and earnt 2000 euro a month for much more easy work ? :eek:

Hi Mr.Liar,
and who is the subject of that statement, to me it seems like an impersonal phrase...
Yes 2080 euros net, no taxes, for 15hrs one-to-one individual lessons a week, plus boarding. No reason to leave your apartment and possibility to teach in pijama. This might happen in ****ed up Italy (who said my country is rich?) when your employers are foreigners (an italian company would never pay you that reasonable salary).
I worked in Moscow for 6 months on a shitty contract which I very soon felt ashamed of having signed, though teaching italian my life has been quite comfortable even over that times.
I had thirld world apartment because this is where, compared to western standards and especially italians, most of SELF-CENSORED live.
In 18months only 2 houses were worthy to be exhanged with my middle class house in Florence, one in Novoloboskaya and one in Krilatskoe, all the rest was revolting crap offending towards SELF-CENSORED mankind and more suitable for SELF-CENSORED.

Miracle77777
21-12-2007, 22:31
Hi Mr.Liar,
In 18months only 2 houses were worthy to be exhanged with my middle class house in Florence, one in Novoloboskaya and one in Krilatskoe, all the rest was revolting crap offending towards SELF-CENSORED mankind and more suitable for SELF-CENSORED.

Dear Sal....give me an renseignements...:eh:
My very good Italian friend, said that he is living in three-etages house about 300m2 in square....
Is it usual for Italian residences?
Or he is in great condition?
Thanks...^-*

innu
21-01-2008, 21:37
People!!! have you been living with your parents in an alpen village before you moved to moscow???
Food, water, job - these are all choises we make - we choose what to eat, what to drink and, for that matters, where to live.

I live in London - they say:" if you are drinking tap water in London - it is likely that 8(!!!!) other people have drunk it already!!!!
I am a hair stylist - majority o my clients complain about the change of their hair and skin after the move here.
We live in sandwich coulture here - and it's always damp. And we are never farther then 3 metres away from rats.
So instead of wining - i make my own lunches - buy mineral water, wrap up and go to the gym regularly, and i do work really hard in between of all that too.
Let's face it - we live in big cities - and wether we like it or not - good thing s about big cities come together with bad, but we have a choice: we cope with it for whatever reasons, change our circumstances for the better, or we move back to the alpen village.

Dr. Boris K
25-01-2008, 20:05
Hello!
I'm licenced Acupuncturist from New York, originally from Moscow. Feel sorry for your health problems. If you need any advise of how to handle to live in Russia, Moscow - can ask me. There are a lot of important issues - like what and where to eat, how to keep up with ballancing your immune sistem etc. Can PM me anytime.
Dr.Boris K

By the way...you mean "canker sore" or "cold sore" - two BIG differences!!!
For cold sore - VALTREX 1pill 2 times a day for 10 days or "АЦИКЛОВИР" - same dose , but cheeper.
If you have canker sore - look for Medical Encyclopedia:

Canker sore (aphthous ulcer)

Canker sores (Aphthous ulcers) are very common. Typically, they are a shallow ulcer with a white or whitish/yellow base surrounded by a reddish border. This ulcer is commonly seen in an individual with AIDS and is located in front and just below the bottom teeth.
Update Date: 1/18/2007

Good luck to you!