PDA

View Full Version : People lugging their entire life's belongings around on the metro

stefania2003
06-02-2004, 21:13
I read that this bomb (apparently) was contained in a rucksack or some kind of unattended baggage. For the past 10 years at least it seems as if a large number of people are carrying their life's belongings around on the metro. I have never seen this kind of thing on the London Underground, they can't ALL be moving from dachas (especially in Winter) and surely they can't all be trading goods?? Apart from getting in everyone's way (especially those lethal trolleys) they are capable of containing this kind of thing and I remember that a few years ago, they wouldn't people through the turnstiles with them or they were charging them extra which might be a good idea now - what do you think?

Moscow Wolf
08-02-2004, 05:40
I think you became a 'nagli' Russian thats what I think. Life goes on, they annoy me too with their trollies and those stupid big Russian bags they have, but they're trying to survive and make a living. You begin to sound like my Partner that used to drive a Volga and now he has a Mercedes G Wagon, nobody else should be allowed on the road as they block his way, yawn. Perhaps I'm being over critical of you Stef, but that's how i read it at 05.35 in the morning.

When you gonna come share a bowl of chappie with me?:p

DaveUKagain
08-02-2004, 05:56
....... and the Metro`s cheap transportation, so people will ALWAYS carry everything on it.

Put 5000kg of fertilizer in a van and (like in Manchester) you have a much more efficient bomb. Do you then ban all vans ?? Take glycol and I-don`t-think-I`ll -tell-you, but it`s a household chemical, combine and you have gallons of home brewed explosive. Ban antifreeze ?? Unlikely. Dig in from the side of an embankment with a few kilos of plastic explosive and you can derail a train - do you get all trains to travel at 15kph to avoid accidents ??? Put 500 grammes of plastic explosive and a pressure sensitive switch or timer in a statuette, you`ll bring down an airliner. Do we ground `em all ???

The point about terrorism is that it is NOT capable of being stopped. No matter what you do, no matter what security measures you take, one man with a bomb will always, always get through and that`s both the tragedy of it, and the horror of it, and the total futility of waging a war against terrorism or thinking that you can threaten maniacs to a negotiating table or appeal to "their better nature".

Banning heavy bags on the metro or people transporting everything would have no effect - the bomb was 11kg in weight, probably home made - you can carry that in a suitcase and with a mass transport system you can just not stop and search everyone. Sad but true - terrorists go for soft targets, there are any number of soft targets........

Moscow Wolf
08-02-2004, 06:09
5000kgs Dave! Christ you'd take most of Manchester out with that if it was mixed and laced right with the right amount of diesel and you had the right amount of commercial to give it the whoomph it needs to set it off. Its low intensity as opposed to high intensity, but like a gas explosion its devastating, I've blown roads up with that stuff.

11kgs of plastic you say, I hadn't heard that one yet. thats heavy, actually I don't know if it was a suicide bomb or a planted bomb what's the latest reports as your still up and I'm still up!

11kgs in a an underground carriage with the tunnel effect that's very serious shit! I was reckoning on half a kilo max! sad.

stefania2003
08-02-2004, 10:55
Dave and Wolf - good postings from you both:) Quite right!
Yes, Wolf, I don't think you are being over-critical of me at all! The Moscow winter, slippery roads, awful neighbours, and now my f******g peasant b***h landlady giving me notice just because they've changed the registration procedure and also wanting ANOTHER rent rise just after we'd agreed the last one has rather put me off the natives just now!:)
I dont know what this bowl of chappie is but certainly I'd take you up on it sometime and btw...I do have the number of someone who might be able to help with your query about permits and so on and if and as soon as I find it I'll PM it to you:)

DaveUKagain
08-02-2004, 12:37
Originally posted by Moscow Wolf
5000kgs Dave! Christ you'd take most of Manchester out with that if it was mixed and laced right with the right amount of diesel and you had the right amount of commercial to give it the whoomph it needs to set it off. Its low intensity as opposed to high intensity, but like a gas explosion its devastating, I've blown roads up with that stuff.

11kgs of plastic you say, I hadn't heard that one yet. thats heavy, actually I don't know if it was a suicide bomb or a planted bomb what's the latest reports as your still up and I'm still up!

11kgs in a an underground carriage with the tunnel effect that's very serious shit! I was reckoning on half a kilo max! sad.

Yep, 5000kg, Wolfie. ;-) Lifted the dome on the Corn Exchange 200m away. However, you`re talking about a professional explosives engineer and a proper explosion, this was the IRA here. ;-)) Burn rather than detonate, plus the street had a funnelling effect, I hear. Also, an explosion is only as good as the container - thin walled truck. But we DID hear the bang of the 1996 Manchester bomb - one of the last of the big ones - 8km away - and it was a damn big one.

Heard the 11kg somewhere - "presumed " to be that size - what is it ? Figure one handgrenade per kilo ?? Looks like it was about that...... God knows why they don`t use primercord, to be honest - you could weave that into a jacket.

- and that`s the legacy of 30 years of my life growing up with the threat of terrorism. It achieved nothing here, and it`ll do the same in Moscow.