PDA

View Full Version : Russia as seen by the BBC

quincy
15-12-2007, 16:29
BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | Russia's deep suspicion of the West (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7144560.stm)
One obvious error stands out
In the 1990s it lost an empire, and with it, the respect and prestige it feels it deserves.
I thought it was not Russia but the Soviet Union that broke up in the early 1990s! :rolleyes:The Russian empire as everybody knows ended in 1917

J.D.
15-12-2007, 18:10
I think most people would agree that the Soviet Union was a front for the Russian Empire. Probably close to a hundred percent in the Baltics.
I think the BBC might have done better to say 'fear of' instead of 'respect for' though.

quincy
15-12-2007, 21:44
Russians argue that most Soviet leaders (Stalin, Beria, Khruschev,Brezhnev) were not even Russians. Large chunks of Russian territory were given away they say by Soviet leaders to Ukraine,Kazakhstan etc (or borders drawn favouring Estonia, Latvia etc), without consulting the Russian people themselves

Baracuda
16-12-2007, 00:44
The BBC over the years has become a quite racist and really strange network of channels..almost an analog of FOX and CNN, they even provide direct links to terrorist groups and claim it to be normal.. with the excuse "someones terrorist is another's freedom fighter".. so don't even bother paying attention to the bull they write or imply.. They have even been banned from some countries.. which says it all.. watch the good stuff on their TV and don't pay attention to the rest....

quincy : Russians argue.....

question; what is a "Russian" I mean their roots, seem to me that their view on their origin is more a fairytale than actual reality, and even the "pure Russian" idea seems out of a joke book...and lastly in the 1990's they began loosing their culture...