PDA

View Full Version : Bicycles on public transportation?

lennonqpublic
02-09-2013, 05:18
Hello! I just moved to Moscow & (maybe naively) hope to bicycle to work using some combination of public transportation. Does anyone know if bicycles can be taken on the bus, train, metro, subway? How about a folding bicycle? Thank you!!

Benedikt
02-09-2013, 06:58
Hello! I just moved to Moscow & (maybe naively) hope to bicycle to work using some combination of public transportation. Does anyone know if bicycles can be taken on the bus, train, metro, subway? How about a folding bicycle? Thank you!!

definitely in the subway or METRO as it is called here. but you have to remove the front wheel and carry it. this is no joke i have seen it over and over again...
Busses,trolleys and trams is another story. if the busses are of the newer type, where you, through the middle entrance, space for wheelchairs and cots, you also can take a bike there. with the wheels on. but with the other busses/trams/trolleys it ill be a dilemma with space. so, might as well forget about it.
and don't forget, it is -extra luggage- so you have to get a ticket for it.

lennonqpublic
02-09-2013, 08:52
Thanks Benedikt!

(1) So you're saying you can take a full-sized bicycle on the METRO as long as you remove the front wheel?

(2) Have you ever tried a folding bicycle? You don't have to remove the front wheel from these if they're folded - right?

(3) Is the ticket requirement for -extra luggage- on the METRO too or just the bus, etc.?

inorcist
02-09-2013, 09:07
They're working on cancelling this outdated rule that you cannot take a bike with you on the metro. But it'll take a while because it's supposedly unclear which government body is responsible (transport ministry, city, emergency ministry etc).

There's also an online petition to change it: link (http://www.change.org/ru/%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%B8/%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%88%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%8C-%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B7-%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B2-%D0%B2-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC-%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B5)

mrzuzzo
02-09-2013, 11:32
I don't think you'll have issues with a folding bicycle though.

Judge
02-09-2013, 14:36
Get yourself a folding bike , too much hassle trying to get normal bike on the metro, especially at rush hour, you'll be lucky to take on a bike...
Here's what it says on the metro site about bikes..

Passengers must pay the fare every time they enter metro. Make sure you buy a special luggage ticket to carry big items. Children under 7 can travel free of charge. Luggage under 150 cm in total sum of dimensions, sports equipment (skis, skates, roller-skates, snowboard, children’s bicycles etc) in protective cover, musical instruments, baby carriages and hand-carts can be transported free of charge.

http://engl.mosmetro.ru/pages/page_0.php?id_page=79

Moscow is becoming more and more bike friendly, bike lanes are popping up all over the city....

xSnoofovich
02-09-2013, 14:38
oh whatever.

i used to take my bike all the time on the metro. and buses, and trams, and trolleys.

none of these people have a bike, so take it for what it is worth.

and u dont have to remove your front wheel. at least i never did.

when u get on the bus, u go to the middle door, its for strollers. the same with trams and trolleys. then after u get situated, then u go pay.

with metro, u just go straight to the swinging gate and the women will open it for u. its where the stollers and kids go thru.

cheers.

xSnoofovich
02-09-2013, 14:40
Get yourself a folding bike , too much hassle trying to get normal bike on the metro, especially at rush hour, you'll be lucky to take on a bike...

Passengers must pay the fare every time they enter metro. Make sure you buy a special luggage ticket to carry big items. Children under 7 can travel free of charge. Luggage under 150 cm in total sum of dimensions, sports equipment (skis, skates, roller-skates, snowboard, children’s bicycles etc) in protective cover, musical instruments, baby carriages and hand-carts can be transported free of charge.

http://engl.mosmetro.ru/pages/page_0.php?id_page=79

Moscow is becoming more and more bike friendly, bike lanes are popping up all over the city....

This !!!!!!!

Benedikt
02-09-2013, 21:34
none of these people have a bike, so take it for what it is worth.

and u dont have to remove your front wheel. at least i never did.

when u get on the bus, u go to the middle door, its for strollers. the same with trams and trolleys. then after u get situated, then u go pay.

and we always had to take off the front wheel. seems to be, like everything i nRussia, depends on the mood of the people there who are sitting in the little -budki- with their eagle eyes.
and the old YATRA trams, the yellow ones, do NOT have a free middle space.

and we don't have always busses/trolleys/trams that have-had a middle space for prams. not on the older busses.

celia
02-09-2013, 21:44
I'd advise you to try out the public transportation system before you decide to bicycle to work - if you're travelling during peak periods it gets very very crowded.

Alan65
02-09-2013, 22:56
I'd advise you to try out the public transportation system before you decide to bicycle to work - if you're travelling during peak periods it gets very very crowded.

and other passengers may not be very sympathetic towards you :Loco:

xSnoofovich
02-09-2013, 23:30

well, that';s the ticket.

its not easy at all to get on to a packed tram or bus or metro, so that means no bike riding doing those times, at all !!!!!!!!!!!

Alan65
02-09-2013, 23:34
well, that';s the ticket.

its not easy at all to get on to a packed tram or bus or metro, so that means no bike riding doing those times, at all !!!!!!!!!!!

As the Metro cars are quite open I think it would be a good idea to try cycling up and down them during rush hour....also down the escalators :D

xSnoofovich
02-09-2013, 23:34
and a bunch of stuff not relevent anymore........

benny, when was the last time you rode a bike????????

Benedikt
03-09-2013, 07:07
benny, when was the last time you rode a bike????????

because it is not a bike user friendly city. but in Strogino, we have a 1000 h big park and many km of road...

xSnoofovich
03-09-2013, 09:15
As the Metro cars are quite open I think it would be a good idea to try cycling up and down them ....

WTF? Harry Potter in Moscow underground - YouTube

Benedikt
03-09-2013, 12:10
WTF? Harry Potter in Moscow underground -

crazy idiots, they are also endangering the passengers. catch them and let them do 1000 h community work, AT THE METRO WAGONS, cleaning off all that graffiti.:applause:
and the cameras showing their face, name and address. the only way to discourage these kinds of things. but the law does not have the guts to do it.
rather go check tadshiks and others for (not having) documents and taking bribes.

BUT this also shows that the public (MEN!!!) in the Metro has no guts. Every wagon has the possibility to talk to the driver. he than can call the Metro police and the scoundrels can be whisked off right at the next station. the train can even slow down to give the cops a chance to get down the escalators to the wagon. but for more than making youtube clips there is not enough guts around. CIVIL COURAGE and not looking away, something that is missing in Moscow and many other places.