PDA

View Full Version : Shchelkovskaya area - good or bad?

SugarTKE
01-09-2013, 20:02
I am moving to Moscow at the end of the week and will be living in a building that is near the Shchelkovskaya subway station - is this area good or bad? My rating system is safety, cleanliness and ease of access to the rest of the city - what are everyone's thoughts? Thank you.

mrzuzzo
01-09-2013, 20:28
Bad on all 3 by Moscow standards.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

rusmeister
01-09-2013, 21:02
Some years ago I was arrested by the police there on a false charge of "drunk in public", strip-searched and thrown into a cell for a few hours, after which I was openly shaken down for most of my money, the real purpose of the arrest. The cell was full of Byelorussian and Ukrainians being similarly shaken down.

Now I always watch my back, especially at Shelkovskaya.

sarahNZ
01-09-2013, 21:47
We lived there for about a year and had no problems whatsoever. There are lots of supermarkets and some nice restaurants there. We lived opposite a school and it was peaceful and pleasant there.

I like living at the end of the metro line because I can get lost in a book and don't have to worry about which stop is coming next, but that's just me.

I'd move back to our old flat there in a heartbeat.

SugarTKE
02-09-2013, 07:58
Hmmm... Rusmeister, that seems a bit worrisome. So, are schools pretty flexible if you tell them that you will not live somewhere that they plan on putting you?

rusmeister
02-09-2013, 10:51
Hmmm... Rusmeister, that seems a bit worrisome. So, are schools pretty flexible if you tell them that you will not live somewhere that they plan on putting you?

Dunno. If you're relying on housing provided by the school you might not have much choice. And as Sarah indicated, some people avoid those kinds of things. In my case, I was humming a tune with a spring in my step on the way to a bus to my home at the bus station when a cop looking for foreigners to fleece stopped me and threw me in their paddywagon before I had any idea what was going on. That was ten years ago.

I live in a midsize town where everybody knows me, I'm known as a family guy with a decent rep, and stay out of trouble. And avoid police. Keeps the risk factor low. With my blood pressure, I have to.

Hans.KK
02-09-2013, 13:29
... is this area good or bad?
My rating system is safetyIf you know that a place is unsafe and you do not like that, you will for sure put that attitude to display, and then you will be in danger, the bad boys can read that signal very well and they have an easy target.
On the other hand if you do not know you will not feel any fear, and the bad boys will find an other target.

So it is more a question about how you feel about it, that how things are for real. With some answers it is better not to know.

BabyFirefly
02-09-2013, 22:05
I found the area gritty and creepy for Moscow standards, but nothing like what happened to rus. I don't know, moving abroad is hard enough, if you're not sure talk to your school about it or look for a different school.

Kartoshka
02-09-2013, 22:57
That was ten years ago.

Try not to worry. What happened to rusmeister sounds very unpleasant, but it was a long time ago. Things have changed a lot in Moscow in the past ten years.

So, are schools pretty flexible if you tell them that you will not live somewhere that they plan on putting you?

I imagine they will tell you to come and try it, and to get back to them in a few weeks if you aren't happy. Whether they will then do anything about it depends on how big the school is and if they have any alternative accommodation available.

Noich
10-09-2013, 02:48
One of the worst places in Moscow.

rusmeister
10-09-2013, 07:51
I think it's mostly the area around the bus station.

Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Obi-Wan Kenobi

George.G.
14-10-2013, 01:52
Realtor's irn.ru/rating/moscow/ rating is 79/86

Hope that is help you.

oulisse
30-10-2013, 16:03
so, how is it ? i'm living there for 5 years, we call it a dormitory district in french. Of course, as it's possible to assume just reading the very poorly informed advices before, the area is socialy quieter than many many places in our countries. It' s not urbanly speaking beautiful, but it's borded by 2 real forests : Izmailovo and Losini ostrov. In what school are you working ? I'd be glad in meeting you. I have a view on 3 differents schools from my place.

rusmeister
30-10-2013, 18:51
so, how is it ? i'm living there for 5 years, we call it a dormitory district in french. Of course, as it's possible to assume just reading the very poorly informed advices before, the area is socialy quieter than many many places in our countries. It' s not urbanly speaking beautiful, but it's borded by 2 real forests : Izmailovo and Losini ostrov. In what school are you working ? I'd be glad in meeting you. I have a view on 3 differents schools from my place.

I'd say the comment of "poorly-informed" is itself poorly-informed as to what exactly we are informed about.
I've lived here for the better part of twenty years. I'm glad you have never been a target of injustice; before my own experience I probably would have said what you are saying.

oulisse
03-11-2013, 13:45
no disrespect meant ! and except for your adventure, you agree with me !
startingly enough, our district like many others in Moscow are less risky than in the west. no gangs here. and immigrants are usually victims ! i'm speaking about street delinquency of course. anyway, we have to stay cautious and everything can happen !
where do you live now ?

rusmeister
03-11-2013, 16:35
no disrespect meant ! and except for your adventure, you agree with me !
startingly enough, our district like many others in Moscow are less risky than in the west. no gangs here. and immigrants are usually victims ! i'm speaking about street delinquency of course. anyway, we have to stay cautious and everything can happen !
where do you live now ?

Outside of Moscow. :D

Merlin77
05-11-2013, 17:31
the west of Moscow is much better

Hans.KK
05-11-2013, 17:48
the west of Moscow is much betterWhy? What is better, can you put some words on that?
I had often been told that it is better to live in the north of St. Petersborg than in the south, but never any reason why it should be so, but when I compare the two areas I see no difference at all, it is more or less the same concrete s... side by side all over. Some even think the centre is the best, but there I think you are missing shopping facility and there is to much noise.