PDA

View Full Version : Info On Strogino

Ryan8249
25-08-2013, 17:15
Some Info On Strogino Area Please!!

penka
25-08-2013, 17:20
Ask Benedikt the Chef. I think, he lives in the area.

Benedikt
25-08-2013, 17:37
Some Info On Strogino Area Please!!

ask, an d all will be answered (being biased of course since i love it there) but i will try to be as honest and fair as possible.

Ryan8249
25-08-2013, 19:55
Thanks Benedikt

Im moving there in October, I seen a post you replied to a few years back, so ill not have you repeat yourself. Back then you praised the area very highly, is it still the same today?

Thanks Again

Benedikt
25-08-2013, 20:17
Thanks Benedikt

Im moving there in October, I seen a post you replied to a few years back, so ill not have you repeat yourself. Back then you praised the area very highly, is it still the same today?

Thanks Again

though since we do not have (anymore) kids that need schooling i am out of date in THAT field.
but for the rest, infrastructure has been added, more restaurants, places to enjoy and so forth. still no nightclubs/strip joints and the like, not that i miss them.
across the MKHAD Krokus Expo is expanding and expanding, basically all your needs from A to Z are out here.
Many nice small but excellent eating places, from traditional Shashlik to Asian Wok.
Also,many small and bigger shops,rarely i have to venture to Stockman or Asbuka Vkusa if i do not find something out of the VERY unusual here.

still plenty of green, we have successfully demonstrated and protested agains the encroachment on our park on the Moskva river.
unfortunately prices for apts and renting have been rising. but plenty is being built out here so no shortage of places to live.
Orbita the Techno Park is expanding, we also get a nice fairly big hotel attached to it. (Accor, it will be a Mercure or Ibis).
We will definitely not move away.
While i am at present not working in Moscow, i enjoy my days off there, no need to schlepp into Moscow Center, i have everything that i need out here. Krokus City has a big -Music Hall- some of the best concerts and shows come out here.
And Strogino has its own Metro station, right in the center, so no need to go to Shchukino or Sokol.

Ryan8249
25-08-2013, 20:37
thanks this is a great help, just a few more questions;

Are there many language schools in the area, as I am an english teacher and looking for some work?

Ive heard winter clothes can be very expensive in Moscow, because I am coming from Thailand I will have to buy alot of clothes. Thinking should I buy the clothes in thailand?

Thanks again!

Benedikt
25-08-2013, 21:32

Are there many language schools in the area, as I am an english teacher and looking for some work?

Ive heard winter clothes can be very expensive in Moscow, because I am coming from Thailand I will have to buy alot of clothes. Thinking should I buy the clothes in thailand?

Thanks again!

read up here on STROGINO:http://themoscownews.com/realestate/20110214/188416468.html

and since all the schools have a www... you can get started here.
clothes: of course if you want the brand labels like Boss or whatever, the prices are ridiculous. and i am well past that age, for me comfortable comes first, and if it is good looking on top of it, of course i have nothing against it.
i go shopping at the -local- market, no fancy stuff, but it keeps me more than warm. example, i have for winter a cotton -fufeika- pants, cost me 400 rubles, i have them now for 4 years, in winter,even when the temperature is down to -25C, i go walking the dog and have only shorts under the pants. no -layer- clothing needed. same with a Parka/Anorak. Shoes/boots, because i have big size (45) i buy Salamander, fair enough not cheap but they lasted me now already 6 years. despite all the salt and gunk they put on the roads.
who pays for your luggage? ONLY when you can get it over cheap it might be worth buying there, otherwise forget it. and of course i buy winterstuff when they have the sales in March or April, and summer stuff in fall when they have sales again. we have big cupboards...
what you might rather bring from Thailand though? how long have you been there and how do you like Thai food? if the answer is -very much- rather bring fish sauce, curry paste and the like, hard to impossible to find.i assume you know the -LOBO- brand, for me the best, not available here.But i have friends who go back there once in a while....
more questions, just ask....

lenwe
26-08-2013, 00:23
I can't give you any info about schools and toddler related topics but for adults it's a really good place to live. I've been living in the area for more than a year and so far I love it.

My reasons for being really happy in Strogino- follows,

1) Loads of green areas and it's near the river. It's possible to swim and enjoy the sun in the summer.
2) Plenty of supermarkets, one or several shops of each one of the popular chains including a huge Ashan.
3) Just.ru and Mvideo also nearby for electronics.
4) Lots of car repair shops around the area.
5) Plenty of parking space, not overcrowded, And it's a really safe area.
6) The newest and the cleanest metro line. Around 30 minutes to center stations.

The downside is, I personally don't like the restaurants and bars in the area- your choices are limited. But if it was full of good pubs and hip places, maybe Strogino wouldn't be too much quiet and relaxed, as it is right now. That's why I don't complain about dining&wining, I go to the center for that.

Good luck.

Benedikt
26-08-2013, 06:48
in the building with the Temple Bar a new place has opened only a short while ago, with a tent on top. looks super to me.
the ЧАИХОНА NR 1 at the SunnyWeather Shopping Center, opposite the tank more or less, has also a nice open tent and super flair. ( they have horse meat sausages, love them for that).
even the McD has been newly renovated.
the Sushi place next to the Cats'n Dogs (one NEEDS sushi for all what it is apparently worth...) serves good stuff and so does the Pizza place there. and because they have 5 or 6 cars,even a HUMMER for delivery, it gets to us in under 30 minutes any time. something one can only dream about in the center.

i for myself am glad the -chic- places have not found Strogino yet. They all can stay at the Shchuka Center. and here we have nice little places who serve good food with no fancy unnecessary trimmings and inflated prices.
Being a Chef i choose my eating places using different criteria and not believing in fancy PR and loud advertising.

Ryan8249
26-08-2013, 09:38
Thanks everyone for all of your input, it gives me peace of mind that I am going to such a nice area! If i have any other questions I will be in touch!

Thanks Again!

Ryan

lenwe
26-08-2013, 10:43
i for myself am glad the -chic- places have not found Strogino yet. They all can stay at the Shchuka Center. and here we have nice little places who serve good food with no fancy unnecessary trimmings and inflated prices.
Being a Chef i choose my eating places using different criteria and not believing in fancy PR and loud advertising.

I totally agree!

The sushi place you're talking about is Maki Maki, I like the atmosphere and their Sushi but lately their Chinese dishes started to lose it's taste. I never tried Pronto pizza- I'm usually ordering from Imperial but I gotta give Pronto a try.

Also, thanks about the other tips- didn't know about the new place on top of Temple. I'll definitely check it.

Benedikt
26-08-2013, 10:51
[QUOTE=lenwe;1208262]I totally agree!

The sushi place you're talking about is Maki Maki, I like the atmosphere and their Sushi but lately their Chinese dishes started to lose it's taste. I never tried Pronto pizza- I'm usually ordering from Imperial but I gotta give Pronto a try.

and i tell them not be go -russian taste- on the spices..... helps also when one is a regular, so the employees know who i am and what i want. and at the end, when we are happy, a good tip helps to boost their memory for next time.....

Nobbynumbnuts
26-08-2013, 12:15

Thanks again!

I've just seen this post.
If you're in Thailand you'll probably know it's difficult to buy winter clothes (for obvious reasons) and then to find them in European sizes.
Go to MBK Centre in Bangkok (if you're there) or Pratunam area. If you're interested i can give you directions.

Ryan8249
26-08-2013, 16:35
Thanks, Were down on Samui, but i do know where MBK is, i was there once before!

on the way to russia we will probably stay in bangkok a few nights so think i will just stock up on plenty of cheap clothes! My only fear is that they will be warm enough! lol

Thanks Again

Alan65
26-08-2013, 21:23
Thanks, Were down on Samui, but i do know where MBK is, i was there once before!

on the way to russia we will probably stay in bangkok a few nights so think i will just stock up on plenty of cheap clothes! My only fear is that they will be warm enough! lol

Thanks Again

I would not worry too much about the clothes, you will soon aclimatise and be walking about in T shirts and shorts in -20, also finding what you need in Moscow will be half the fun :D

Nobbynumbnuts
26-08-2013, 22:15

Thanks Again

If you walk down Ratchadamri Rd, past Central World the road goes over the canal, take the next left (Phetburi Rd)and you will see Grand Diamond Plaza and Platinum Shopping Mall. Big shopping malls crammed with the cheap prices for clothing.
Walk another 5 minutes down on the same side and you've got Phantip Plaza. A huge mall specializing in evrything computer/mobile. Again cheapest prices.
Cross the road and stroll around the small side streets and alley ways for some really interesting garment sales. Clothing of all types including costumes, uniforms and accessories of all kinds.

Judge
26-08-2013, 22:19
Clothing of all types including costumes, uniforms and accessories of all kinds.

Is he joining the Russian Circus:D

Alan65
26-08-2013, 22:31

Perhaps he should get a ded moroz costume :D

Nobbynumbnuts
26-08-2013, 22:50

If he was that would be the place to shop!
Fascinating area to walk round for ANYTHING clothing. ;)

Benedikt
27-08-2013, 05:39
If he was that would be the place to shop!
Fascinating area to walk round for ANYTHING clothing. ;)

and leave the wallet in the safe as well.
shopping in BK is fun ( for you) and a nightmare ( for your finances)

Nobbynumbnuts
27-08-2013, 12:54
and leave the wallet in the safe as well.
shopping in BK is fun ( for you) and a nightmare ( for your finances)

Yes, shopping is fun in Bangkok on many levels. The Thais are usually very polite and easy going and the language barrier is not usually a problem when both sides are willing to communicate........and of course the prices!
I never bother buying gloves, hats or scarves in BKK. Too much choice in Moscow on every street corner.
You'll get a better selection of winter coats and boots on sale in Moscow but if you go the places i mentioned above (there are others) you'll find a reasonable choice at much better prices.
If you have a heavy winter coat which wont go in your baggage, carry it through the gate. I've never been refused OR wear it and take it off when you get on board. :)