PDA

View Full Version : Best American Bank to use for atm withdrawals?

Wolfpack
14-08-2013, 20:42
Any opinion on which american bank is best to use with atm withdrawals in Russia? (In terms of 0 transaction fees/conversion fees)

I had heard capital one previously, but I think they did away with their old system unless you're like a premier member. Anyone have a good bank card they use and can recommend?

Thanks!

AstarD
14-08-2013, 20:44
You mean withdrawing money from a Russian bank account while in USA?

Wolfpack
14-08-2013, 21:48
You mean withdrawing money from a Russian bank account while in USA?

I should clarify- withdrawing money from a Russian bank while in Russia, with an American ATM card.

AstarD
14-08-2013, 22:02
Citi Bank has banks both in America and Russia, so if you have a Citi Bank card and used one of their ATMs, I suppose you wouldn't have to pay a fee.

I think all the banks will charge you a fee for using another bank.

fawad
14-08-2013, 23:14
the fee is dependent upon ur bank's policies and conditions. You can use any ATM. American one is Citi only, i think. try to avoid stand alone ATMs in remote locations. Also try to avoid ATMs where you cant identify the Bank name.

Remington
15-08-2013, 07:19
Citi Bank has banks both in America and Russia, so if you have a Citi Bank card and used one of their ATMs, I suppose you wouldn't have to pay a fee.

I think all the banks will charge you a fee for using another bank.

Citibank USA and Citibank Russia are two separate entities. However, you can withdraw only USD from Citibank Russia's ATM with Citibank USA's card with no fees. I have been doing this for 6 years with no issues.

I've heard there are no fees for using Bank of America's card at Bank of Moscow's ATMs. I also have account with Bank of America but haven't tried this yet.

frankjohn2
16-08-2013, 02:49
The following US banks have no transaction fee for ATM withdrawals and their foreign exchange transaction fee is listed below.

CapitalOne 360 is 0%.
HSBC Premier is 0%.
USAA is 1%.

Remington
16-08-2013, 04:59
The following US banks have no transaction fee for ATM withdrawals and their foreign exchange transaction fee is listed below.

CapitalOne 360 is 0%.
HSBC Premier is 0%.
USAA is 1%.

Sure if you have $100,000 in checking account to qualify.

tonytony
16-08-2013, 13:35

Well, one bank where you only need 1 cent in the checking account to qualify is Charles Schwab.

There are no fees with this bank for using overseas ATMs:-

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account

frankjohn2
17-08-2013, 22:16

HSBC yes ... unless you pay the $50 monthly fee (which was well worth it when HSBC had branches in Russia).

However the other two have no minimums.

jamesc
20-08-2013, 00:14
I think a friend of mine has been using PNC Bank and upgraded his account, technically you need $1,000 in the account in order to qualify for no-fee withdrawals across the globe, but they only charge you 10 dollars per month if you lack the necessary 1k minimum and you still retain your no-fee withdrawal privelege

Alexander Barmine
06-10-2013, 20:48
Citibank USA and Citibank Russia are two separate entities. However, you can withdraw only USD from Citibank Russia's ATM with Citibank USA's card with no fees. I have been doing this for 6 years with no issues.

I've heard there are no fees for using Bank of America's card at Bank of Moscow's ATMs. I also have account with Bank of America but haven't tried this yet.

I just used my Bank of America ATM at a Bank of Moscow ATM. First of all, the limit is 10,000 rubles. Second, BoA charged a $5 fee (expected) and Bank of Moscow charged a $3.14 dollar fee (unexpected) even though on the screen is prominently says no "extra" fees will be charged. I think we've all been fooled. So it comes out to a total $8.14 fee for the privilege of withdrawing about $314.