PDA

View Full Version : 17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America

xSnoofovich
13-08-2013, 23:47
http://www.fluentin3months.com/no-usa-for-me/

btw which ones Pink?
14-08-2013, 01:49
Basically true, except 17. America actually does have the most Liberty minded constitution its just that about half of the people are too stupid to understand what freedom is.

And in his "likes" he says that American girls are not as feminine as he likes....well he certainly won't like the butch borderline lesbian man dominating Australian females who have had so much sunshine blown up their asses over the years that think they are invincible no matter what task they are doing.

BabyFirefly
14-08-2013, 05:51
3, 4, 9, 13, 10, 16 are true (I think 16 will become more common elsewhere though). The rest I've seen in other countries and worse than in the US by far.

Jack17
14-08-2013, 06:10
If this Irisher doesn't like the greatest country in the world, there's an easy solution - stay at home; or become an expat in Russia where everything is truly "awesome."

robertmf
14-08-2013, 06:40
How old is this guy ? 16?

yakspeare
14-08-2013, 06:46
I might not like the loud Hawaiian shirt American tourist but I will never complain about American smiles at all.

rusmeister
14-08-2013, 06:50
Well, while it was just an opinion and personal experience, I thought there was some just criticism there.

VicY
14-08-2013, 13:06
LOL, point 8 I can really relate to: I've been getting it a lot not only from Americans, but other foreigners as well!

All in all, I truly believe that if one finds so many annoying aspects with a country, he/she should never settle there. I'd never do so myself...

On the subject of safety, hubby told me more than once how he felt a lot less safe in America than in Europe or even Canada. He's been there many times and travelled all over the country. In his opinion, the US is one of the least safe countries, despite all the wealth and stability.

FatAndy
14-08-2013, 13:34
10th point has surprised me a lot once in San Jose airport, yep... :D

robertmf
14-08-2013, 17:05
10th point has surprised me a lot once in San Jose airport, yep... :D

Because of $fines$ levied on bar and bartender for allowing underage drinkers, legitimate bars will be cautious. If you look < 30 you will be ID'd. This is also the rule for Pennsylvania liquor stores | bottle shops.

At the local library beerfest a couple of weeks ago, the gatekeeper wanted 40.

celia
14-08-2013, 17:25
He didn't mention the one thing that disturbs me most about the US (and I'm a US supporter) - racism, and the existence of a permanent underclass.

FatAndy
14-08-2013, 17:35
If you look < 30 you will be ID'd.
I was there in 2007, so 41 y.o. that time, a good compliment. :D One gray-hair gentleman just behind me looked for 60-70, they've requested ID from him too.:rasta:
One nice Russian proverb fits for the case - заставь дурака богу молиться, он и лоб расшибёт.

VicY
14-08-2013, 17:44
One nice Russian proverb fits for the case - заставь дурака богу молиться, он и лоб расшибёт.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Russian Lad
14-08-2013, 17:50
edit

Russian Lad
14-08-2013, 17:51
I might not like the loud Hawaiian shirt American tourist but I will never complain about American smiles at all.

My unshaking opinion regarding this is that the Russians and the Americans go to two extremes here, which are equally bad. The Americans are trying to do their best to look all the time as if they have just gone to the toilet and had a huge releaf, hence the beaming happiness, the Russians, on the contrary, make the appearance of someone who has a continuous constipation. The best option should be in the middle somewhere.

penka
14-08-2013, 19:42
After living in quite a few countries, I can surely say I can live nearly with everything.

However, "being a good church-goer" (nr 11) equalling a good human disgusts me. I spent quite a few holidays on Jamaica and Barbados, thank you.

Jumbo portions? hah! Don't eat it, hun, they are not holding a gun to ye head. I know a few slim Americans, too.

DunnoNo
15-08-2013, 12:42
hahaha good piece! spot on!

You can easily say some of this about England, to a lesser degree. People don't know what's normal and natural anymore. When you focus some much on the words positive, kind, tolerant, money, best and so on, you're not a man (Oh right! Here it is! I should say person, eh? :D I can't say it in the context like that without contorting my face. So, not gonna happen ) anymore you're a zombie.
This is one of those articles with numbers where you can say "one thing leads to another"

#1 the same in England and Western Europe.

That's why I love Russia so much! None of that crap! ..... yet haha

Probe
15-08-2013, 12:54
I fell one point has been left out and it is my observation that in general the Americans are way too loud when they speak no matter where they are.

penka
15-08-2013, 13:02
I fell one point has been left out and it is my observation that in general the Americans are way too loud when they speak no matter where they are.

Hmm, have you been to Italy?:-)

Probe
15-08-2013, 13:10
True but this still does not change the fact. Besides there is a huge difference in frequency between the squeaky Italian voices and the other :)

DunnoNo
15-08-2013, 14:17
Italians are, a bit, but it's nothing to compare with Americans and sounds pleasing cos of the language..... unless you ask them to put something that's not supposed to be there in your meal. You do it yourself? It changes nothing. You're still in for a lecture hahaha

Jack17
15-08-2013, 19:49
. . . especially the women.

VicY
16-08-2013, 18:26
A Russian friend of mine posted the following picture on Facebook, along with this comment: "LOL, I'm not at all offended".

:D

FatAndy
17-08-2013, 21:00
. . . especially the women.
Are you a sexist, comrade??!!! :evilgrin:

:rofl:

tonytony
18-08-2013, 00:48
A Russian friend of mine posted the following picture on Facebook, along with this comment: "LOL, I'm not at all offended".

The reason why some young people do get offended is that the legal age to buy alcohol is 18.

uganda
18-08-2013, 01:16

I don't get it. Why should you be offended? It is a decent poster aimed at stopping drinking alcohol at young age. Do you want your children drinking beer when they are 15? No. Russia is doing everything to prevent your kids drinking that beer. Why do you disagree?

JanC
18-08-2013, 07:50
Do you want your children drinking beer when they are 15?

Well beer is hardly vodka. I may come from a country that takes pride in it's beers but I remember well that when I was 14 we were allowed to order a beer on a school trip with a teacher sitting at the table enjoying one with us. It was kind of cool, but to this day I do not like beer and drink very little alcohol in general. None of my old classmates have become alcoholics either.
Actually we got a glass of white wine when we "graduated" our first school at 12 come to think of it. I only remember it gave me a headache, cheap cralpy wine no doubt.

An adult approach to soft alcohol use makes more sense to me than cracking down on it. If anything that would be a motivation for teenagers to drink.

VicY
18-08-2013, 07:57
I don't get it. Why should you be offended? It is a decent poster aimed at stopping drinking alcohol at young age. Do you want your children drinking beer when they are 15? No. Russia is doing everything to prevent your kids drinking that beer. Why do you disagree?

You really are a troll, aren't you?
Where did you read that anyone disagreed with anything?
Who said they were offended?

tonytony
18-08-2013, 12:40

As I said above, the reason that some/many young people find this annoying is that the legal age for drinking alcohol in the UK is 18, not 21 - and this poster is from the UK.

I guess it would be similar to having a sign in the USA saying we will ask for proof of age if you appear to be under 25.

From the context of VicY's post on this subject I'm guessing that her friend was female and rather older than 21 so, if anything, it would be a compliment for her to be questioned on her age.

A similar thing happened to a Russian colleague of mine. When she was younger - about 26 - she worked in the USA for a year and she says that she got asked her age all the time in bars as they wouldn't believe that she was old enough to drink.

rusmeister
18-08-2013, 13:07
You really are a troll, aren't you?
Where did you read that anyone disagreed with anything?
Who said they were offended?

Well, I see this: http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=533371

following on the heels of this:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=528699

A curious coincidence, I'd say.

yakspeare
18-08-2013, 14:15
I don't think so at all. One is a potential expat with genuine questions about what is in the news about Russia, everywhere. At a marriage equality rally yesterday here in Brisbane, several politicians took time out to mention Russia.

While the other is a regular on these forums changing gender, nationality and now orientation.

JanC
18-08-2013, 15:12

Maybe google has been indexing some of the wildly growing homosexuality opinion topics on here. If you type "homosexual expat" we are already at #4 lol

VicY
18-08-2013, 15:13
As I said above, the reason that some/many young people find this annoying is that the legal age for drinking alcohol in the UK is 18, not 21 - and this poster is from the UK.

I guess it would be similar to having a sign in the USA saying we will ask for proof of age if you appear to be under 25.

From the context of VicY's post on this subject I'm guessing that her friend was female and rather older than 21 so, if anything, it would be a compliment for her to be questioned on her age.

A similar thing happened to a Russian colleague of mine. When she was younger - about 26 - she worked in the USA for a year and she says that she got asked her age all the time in bars as they wouldn't believe that she was old enough to drink.

You're right, she is actually 31. :D
Also, she just found the wording to be funny, as if anybody would indeed care to get "offended" by such a small thing. :)

robertmf
18-08-2013, 16:54

Pennsylvania liquor stores want proof if you appear under 30.

uganda
19-08-2013, 06:15

The first one is me (I've added some comments there that you should read). The second one is so NOT me, it's not even funny. Should I try and prove that? I don't think so. I don't care.