PDA

View Full Version : Apostille for criminal Background Usa

nyinrussia
12-12-2007, 20:47
Hi everyone. I just found out the hard way that the only way to get an apositle on the criminal background check is to send it to the secretary of states office. You can not get it locally. So here is the number and address for the secretary of state. You need to include a certfied check for $10.00, a cover letter including a phone number and which country it is going to
1-304-558-6000
Secretay of State, 1900 Kanawha Blvd Suite 157K, Charleston WV 25305

Surfsup37
12-12-2007, 21:14
NY, it depends on your state, each state is different.

kapione
14-12-2007, 21:30
thats helpful info ! :-)

Bels
14-12-2007, 21:34
Yes, appears to be great info speaking as a Brit. But, oH boy! Americans appear more complicicated than for example Brits. Perhaps it's because you are more of a continent rather than a country.

BrianS
15-12-2007, 00:42
Perhaps it's because you are more of a continent rather than a country.

Oh boy....here we go with the Yank bashing.....lol :ninja:

nyinrussia
26-12-2007, 21:24
NY, it depends on your state, each state is different.

Sorry but you are mistaken... in this case because Russia only accepts criminal background check from the FBI...which is the address in Virginia hence you then have to get the apostille from the secretary of state.. Like I said in my previous message I found out the hard way numerous phone calls and in person too.

Surfsup37
27-12-2007, 12:26
Are you sure the Russian government will only accept the FBI form? I know of others that have successfully used the State form. However, it really seems to depend on your local OVIR. :(

I was told that FBI (see another thread) was the only one acceptable, but then told by a number of Americans that they successfully used their state form which is very easier to get and certify.

As I mentioned, it appears to be totally random at this point as to what they will accept.

Bels
27-12-2007, 12:42
I would think the same applies to all nationalities. They realise that all countries are different. All they want is a genuine report of you having no criminal record, and they are not concerned about fingerprints or anything else. Like for example Britain, you contact Scotland Yard Metropiliton Police, and they ask you to contact your regional police dept of where you resided and then apply. Of course the central database is at Scotland Yard.

You will get your fingerprints done at ovir when you application has been accepted. Dont forget to get it legalised or apostiled and translated.

BrianS
15-01-2008, 00:20
I used my STATE criminal background check with no problems....and yes...I too had to send it back to my state's Dept. of State to have it Apostilled...not a big deal...$5.00 plus the UPS shipping. And my OVIR told me that I will get fingerprinted when my application as been approved. I am still waiting for that to come through...4 months now and counting...

vantru
15-01-2008, 17:47
Guys take a look at this...those are the infos gotten by an American living in Moscow in an interview with a very big cheese at Ovir HQ in Moscow....
It may answer your question.

"I met with Василий Иванович Машаков, Department Manager at the UVIR/PVO HQ Moscow HQ. The purpose of our meeting was to verify the current requirements for temporary and permanent Russian residency requirements. I am sure that others have had different experiences in the past, or have been told something different by their local OVIR. At the end of this message, I have listed the procedure for gathering the forms, and also arranging to meet with Mr. Mашаков in person.

Required documents for Temporary Residence (разрешения на временное проживание)
Criminal history record Apostille in the US, translated and notarized
o Note to Americans He stated that they required the FBI criminal check not your local Police check. This information disagrees with the US Embassy website, which states either is acceptable. Procedures for completing this procedure are documented on the Embassy website. You do not need to go to the US to complete this step.
o Others have successfully used the state government. I personally am applying for both."
o http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular...records_checks

Missouri Tiger
24-02-2008, 20:59
NY, thanks for this. I am in NYC getting a work visa for Russia, and would like to order the apostille / criminal background check while I am here so I can start the green card process when I return to Moscow.
To confirm, are you sure I must call the Sec of State in WV? Seems that the FBI would issue that (in Virginia), no? Also I am from the state of Missouri originally. Or maybe this is a federal document, so it wouldn't matter what state the applicant is from.
Any additional comments would help. Thanks again.

Bels
24-02-2008, 21:58
Lets look at logic, in the Uk you contact the metropiliton police website in London, they have links to your last peviious residence in your area, in the Americans case their state. You then fill in your police check and receive it in Russia.

In the case of the case of Brits you then have to send it back again to another government department such as the Ministry of foreign affairs to be appostilled or legalised. and when it has been returned then you can enclose with your residency visa.

I have these contacts in my directory, and I ask Americans and all other nationalities that if their is a missing address then please help me to have it included in the directory.

I'll give you the link in a minute.

Bels
24-02-2008, 22:06
This is the directory for red-tape, if Americans have some links to add for police checks for Americans then please let me know on this link to enable me to update the directory: http://www.expat.ru/forum/346036-post1.html

Lets look at logic, in the Uk you contact the metropiliton police website in London, they have links to your last peviious residence in your area, in the Americans case their state. You then fill in your police check and receive it in Russia.

In the case of the case of Brits you then have to send it back again to another government department such as the Ministry of foreign affairs to be appostilled or legalised. and when it has been returned then you can enclose with your residency visa.

I have these contacts in my directory, and I ask Americans and all other nationalities that if their is a missing address then please help me to have it included in the directory.

I'll give you the link in a minute.

Bels
24-02-2008, 22:10
Hi everyone. I just found out the hard way that the only way to get an apositle on the criminal background check is to send it to the secretary of states office. You can not get it locally. So here is the number and address for the secretary of state. You need to include a certfied check for $10.00, a cover letter including a phone number and which country it is going to
1-304-558-6000
Secretay of State, 1900 Kanawha Blvd Suite 157K, Charleston WV 25305

Is there a weblink for members to go to?
If so, can you let me know here

http://www.expat.ru/forum/346036-post1.html