PDA

View Full Version : Misplaced Texan - Perm

robwilson
05-08-2013, 11:45
Hello all,

Name is Robert from Texas, currently living in Dubai for the past 6 years but soon moving to Perm, Russia for a 2-3 year assignment. Aside from the dramatic difference in weather conditions and the language barrier (I speak chut-chut Russian) I am excited about the opportunity and new experiences of living in Russia and managing a completely different business. Anyone living in Perm want to give me some pointers? I was there last month and enjoyed my week stay. Hope that surviving the winter won't be as difficult as I imagine it will be :)

FatAndy
05-08-2013, 16:45
Hello all,

Name is Robert from Texas, currently living in Dubai for the past 6 years but soon moving to Perm, Russia for a 2-3 year assignment. Aside from the dramatic difference in weather conditions and the language barrier (I speak chut-chut Russian) I am excited about the opportunity and new experiences of living in Russia and managing a completely different business. Anyone living in Perm want to give me some pointers? I was there last month and enjoyed my week stay. Hope that surviving the winter won't be as difficult as I imagine it will be :)
Well, Perm' is nice city indeed. Everything active is concentrated in the center, i.e. along Kompros (Komsomolsky Prospekt). Military and heavy industry, chemistry and oil chemistry is a basis, plus Perm is the capital of Permsky Krai (joined in 2003-2006 Permskaya region and Komi-Permyatsky autonomous region).
Regarding weather they had minimum of -53C, and maximum of +42C. But in winter generally it's not so cold - -15...-20C.

People are quiet and friendly, and I always glad to visit the city.

If you lived in Asia, be prepared that Russian service level is not so high like Asian one ;)

There was one guy of British origin, Matroshkin, who lives in Perm' and works as a Chef - try to send PM to him http://www.expat.ru/forum/member.php?u=1752352591

And, anyway, welcome!

robertmf
05-08-2013, 17:04
Hello all,

Robert says hullo to *Robert* and welcome to expat.ru :wavey:

There are threads on expat.ru for advice on Winter clothing (http://expat.ru/forum/search.php?searchid=1895474).

Yo'all come back now, hear.

CAPTION
Operations at the Gulag camps were conducted in secret, and much of the history of the camps located in Perm, Russia, deep within the Ural Mountains, will never be known. Perm-36 was perhaps the most brutal Gulag for political prisoners in the Soviet Union, and the last to close (in 1989). In this 1989 photo, prisoners at the Perm-36 camp. [P. PERRIN/CORBIS SYGMA]

FatAndy
05-08-2013, 17:35
Camp, Robert! Camp! :rofl:

robertmf
05-08-2013, 17:39
Camp, Robert! Camp! :rofl:

Да. спорт лагерь - Russian version of sport camp :10241:

Plenty of healthy fresh air and exercise :trampoline: But *robwilson* may get tired of 2 meals of macaroni every day.

FatAndy
05-08-2013, 19:46
Да. спорт лагерь - Russian version of sport camp :10241:

Plenty of healthy fresh air and exercise :trampoline: But *robwilson* may get tired of 2 meals of macaroni every day.

I'm happy for you ;). So I delete you and him out - no macaroni, only a pasture.

Matt24
05-08-2013, 22:38
I'm in Perm right now, it's a nice city, permsky kray vodka is not at all bad, the Ural hotel has a halfway decent restaurant In the basement, we've just got stuffed and vodka'd for $80 bucks for 3 of us - it's not party central, but the locals are friendly, plenty English spoken here. Prospekt Lenin has a big MacDonalds on it, and a huge Gymn called kolosei, there's a big theatre/ arts centre but only in Russian. I will report back with more info if I find anything interesting

robwilson
06-08-2013, 09:31
Thanks for the replies! This will be an interesting assignment for me but I won't be stuck in Perm too much as I will still be manager over Dubai and other locations, I believe I will get to know Perm Airport very well!

FatAndy
06-08-2013, 11:15
Thanks for the replies! This will be an interesting assignment for me but I won't be stuck in Perm too much as I will still be manager over Dubai and other locations, I believe I will get to know Perm Airport very well!
Nothing to know in Perm airport, it is rather small.
But they are accurate and attentive in aviasecurity there - when it was still possible to have your own alcohol onboard, they forced me to screw out my flask cap, have sniffed my cognac and forced me to drink a bit ;)