PDA

View Full Version : Next Expat event??? Will you pay?

PeteD
04-08-2013, 00:48
For the last 2 Saturdays, we (some other expat biker friends and I) have attended a function held at Beach No. 1 at http://one-beach.ru/ .

It occurred to us that this would be a fantastic venue for an expat get-together, where, the event can start on a Saturday afternoon 13:00, everyone can bring their spouses,; partners; children and friends, and the event can continue into the evening, finishing around 11pm.

We can reserve, and pay for a floating platform, that would accommodate 50 – 75 people. The hire charge for this is normally 50,000 Rubles for the day. We believe that we can get this reduced, but it would still incur a cost.

So.... The question is.... would you be prepared to pay for something like this?
We propose an “entry fee” of 500 RUR, per person (children under 15 have free entry).

When we made inquiries, today, we were told that we would have full use of all the facilities, including bar, restaurant, beach volleyball area. There are also some water-sports activities, including “air-boarding”, although we cannot guarantee the availability of these on the day although swimming is always an option.

We have penciled in the date of Saturday, 17th August, and we are looking for a FIRM COMMITMENT to attend, or we will scrap the idea, if it doesn't have enough support by this coming Wednesday, 7th August.

There are covered areas, to shelter in, if it rains. The nearest metro is Polezhayevskaya, and there is a Route taxi from there.

Official entrance to the beach is free – we are paying for a reserved area, and use of all the facilities.

Comments and questions are welcomed by people interested in attending, only.

Ibanez
04-08-2013, 00:55
Pete, sounds a great idea!!!:10806:

mrzuzzo
05-08-2013, 13:00
Probably not a good idea, if the weather is bad then you're stuck with a 50K liability.

I'd go, but I wouldn't want to be the one organizing this.

Alan65
05-08-2013, 13:08
For the last 2 Saturdays, we (some other expat biker friends and I) have attended a function held at Beach No. 1 at http://one-beach.ru/ .

It occurred to us that this would be a fantastic venue for an expat get-together, where, the event can start on a Saturday afternoon 13:00, everyone can bring their spouses,; partners; children and friends, and the event can continue into the evening, finishing around 11pm.

We can reserve, and pay for a floating platform, that would accommodate 50 – 75 people. The hire charge for this is normally 50,000 Rubles for the day. We believe that we can get this reduced, but it would still incur a cost.

So.... The question is.... would you be prepared to pay for something like this?
We propose an “entry fee” of 500 RUR, per person (children under 15 have free entry).

When we made inquiries, today, we were told that we would have full use of all the facilities, including bar, restaurant, beach volleyball area. There are also some water-sports activities, including “air-boarding”, although we cannot guarantee the availability of these on the day although swimming is always an option.

We have penciled in the date of Saturday, 17th August, and we are looking for a FIRM COMMITMENT to attend, or we will scrap the idea, if it doesn't have enough support by this coming Wednesday, 7th August.

There are covered areas, to shelter in, if it rains. The nearest metro is Polezhayevskaya, and there is a Route taxi from there.

Official entrance to the beach is free – we are paying for a reserved area, and use of all the facilities.

Comments and questions are welcomed by people interested in attending, only.

A Leo in the sun :D

PeteD
05-08-2013, 15:54
A Leo in the sun :D

:)

Not sure what you mean, Alan....

???

Sesame
12-08-2013, 23:04
Presuming this isn't happening? A shame as looked like fun. Thanks for trying to arrange!

PeteD
12-08-2013, 23:21
Nope, not enough interest to make the financial commitment viable!

As you say, a pity, as it's a great place, and time is marching on!

tonytony
13-08-2013, 03:52
Please don't take this the wrong way. Can I just ask, how many people turned up to the last Expat.ru function? And that one was free of charge. I believe it was rather less than 50-75.

Why not think about somewhere similar that's free of charge, like Serebryany Bor?

How do you get to Serebryany Bor?
http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=507246

ePxq3m24tYg

BabyFirefly
13-08-2013, 05:35
If I were in Moscow I'd go in a heartbeat. Also 500 RUB per person? Don't be so cheap people. You pay that for one small cocktail in a lot of places in Moscow.

PeteD
13-08-2013, 08:47
Please don't take this the wrong way. Can I just ask, how many people turned up to the last Expat.ru function? And that one was free of charge. I believe it was rather less than 50-75.

Why not think about somewhere similar that's free of charge, like Serebryany Bor?

How do you get to Serebryany Bor?
http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=507246

ePxq3m24tYg

No offence taken!

We did a spot count, at the last event,and there were 46 people at that moment. Some people had already been and gone, and others hadn't yet arrived, so your estimate is accurate.

Having been to Beach No. 1 for the 2 previous weekends, and seen the facilities, we thought it would be good to share and the poll was set up to guage interest. The poll was also posted on Facebook.

We weren't trying to make a profit from this event, only to give people an opportunity to see somewhere new, and slightly different, where they could spend longer and involve their families. When we discussed it, we agreed that we would need a specific minimum number of commitments to minimise our financial risk. This wasn't reached and we abandoned the idea.

If I were in Moscow I'd go in a heartbeat. Also 500 RUB per person? Don't be so cheap people. You pay that for one small cocktail in a lot of places in Moscow.

Thank you BF, for proving my point, that it wasn't extortionate, and that you can't please all of the people all of the time!

:)

tonytony
13-08-2013, 12:30
Just had a quick look at the website and realised that Beach no1 IS in Serebryany Bor :doh:

I actually think that meeting up somewhere away from bars is a very good idea indeed and Serebryany Bor is a great place to spend a sunny afternoon.

The only concern is, as mrzuzzo said above:-

...if the weather is bad then you're stuck with a 50K liability.

I'd go, but I wouldn't want to be the one organizing this.

If the meet up were held on the free part of the beach then there would be no risk to yourselves and, I would suggest, it would be a lot more likely to happen as you don't need to worry about numbers beforehand.

soprty
13-08-2013, 21:47
Not only were we not going to make a profit but were actually going to "invest" RUR 20,000 just to make it more affordable. If you want to know why we would do that, the answer is we believe it would have been an amazing get together in an unusual place that families could have enjoyed. I will never bring my daughter to a bar no matter how nice is.