PDA

View Full Version : Sheremetivo Adventure

CanGuy
03-02-2004, 20:08
This happend last december when I was leaving Moscow to go home to good old (boring) Canada. My Visa was to expire on the 30th of december however aerofolt canceled the flight that was departing on the 30th with a re-sqedueled flight leaving on the 1st of january. When I got to the airport and handed in my lugage with the friendly and helpful aeroflot staff, then made my way to the witches in passport control. When I got to the window the cold as ice 30 something old lady told me to wait behind her booth for some supervisor. In about 45 minutes a chuby, smelly man with a really bad hair cut shows up. This is our conversation

supervisor: ochin' jal' (it's a pitty)

me: shto? (what)

supervisor: shto ti sevodnia ne kuda ne politish (your not flying anywhere today)

me: aeroflot atminil pal'ot i u menia kon'chelas' viza (aeroflot canceled my flight and that is why I'm here with an expired visa)

supervisor: pakinuti aeroport (leave the airport)

me ??????????????:mad:

Right after saying that the supervisor stood in the way of the exit looking at me and probably waiting for my next reaction. Most likely he was waiting to hear something like, "maybe there is a fine I can pay?" After about a 45 second stare off I motioned him to move and went down to the aerflot office where they took care of everything!!!

That is my little adventure in Sheremetivo I

Limitchik
03-02-2004, 21:42
Thanks for sharing, Can-Do.

I'm sure there was a point in there somewhere. The following ones occurred to me as possible. Would you please let us know which one(s) you intended ?

1. You collect aluminum cans.
2. Your transliteration skills are unmatched by all but the most experienced of translators.
3. Aeroflot is the undisputed king in resolving visa issues
4. Passport control supervisors are outrageously witty
5. Canadian schools have stellar spelling and punctuation programs.
6. Anyone over 30 is old
7. You discovered a Passport Control plot to keep you here on the dole for an indefinite amount of time because of your rugged good looks and irresistible charm.

Thanks !

CanGuy
03-02-2004, 22:40
Hello there Limitchick

Not sure what you mean by collecting aluminum cans though?
As far as the translation thing goes, it just seemed Russian and English was approipriate for the story.
Aeroflot is King of resolving visa problems.
I'm 20, so everyone seems old to me!
About my "rugged good looks" can argue with that!

Limitchik
04-02-2004, 09:14
Originally posted by CanGuy
Hello there Limitchick

Not sure what you mean by collecting aluminum cans though?
As far as the translation thing goes, it just seemed Russian and English was approipriate for the story.
Aeroflot is King of resolving visa problems.
I'm 20, so everyone seems old to me!
About my "rugged good looks" can argue with that!

Oh, alright. I was being sarcastic on all points. You are still a young'un and all, so perhaps I was a bit too harsh. I get that way once a month around this time. Something to do with the moon and tides. And, not everything has to have a point, afterall. How else can you explain George Bush ?

Your transliteration or your phonetic transcription (NOT your translation, which was fine) sucked though, as did your English spelling. Sorry, but I gotta point that out. Leave me something to be grumpy about. Thanks.

Cheers,
Limitchik

Ned Kelly
04-02-2004, 09:36
Limitchik, you brought a smile to my face on this frosty hungover morning. Cruel bastard you are!

Lanahka
04-02-2004, 11:13
Hello.Im Svetlana and i had the same situation ,only in London. Ive been living there for 6 month and my visa has to expired in the day of my flight back.
Suprvisor said me that some problems in the airoport( bomb...!!I didnt know what...)and asked me to delay a flight. So, in 4 days ive been at home and when i went to the British embassy to renew my visa-i got refusal for violation, so...i didnt finish my studing,didnt get visa,got refusal and in future will be very difficult to go there(perhaps imposible)!!!
So this cases might be everywhere

Best regards,
Sveta

Limitchik
04-02-2004, 11:32
Apparently I under-estimated the appeal of pointless stories !

Ned Kelly
04-02-2004, 11:34
No, Sveta's is genuinely awful.
CanGuy deserved a kicking for starting the absurd thread.

kniga
04-02-2004, 11:37
Limitchik,

How's your love life? You've been grumpy as hell lately! :-)

Ghost
04-02-2004, 11:52
If you saw how she played pool a week and a half ago, you'd understand.

Moscow Wolf
04-02-2004, 11:56
Sveta dearest, have you got two heads or something! A Russian female 6 months in old England and you didn't get an offer of marriage!

You should get someone, preferably a British national to write a letter to the British Embassy Consul, explaining the situation. Who was your sponsor? A UK national, business or language school or someone here.

It is a long laborious process that doesn't always give results, but if you don't try......

All this from the Wolf that bought a two week holiday to Greece for himself and his girlfriend through a Russian Tourist Agency with them fixing the flight tickets and visa. On our return from a Greek Island to Athens for the connecting flight back to Moscow we conveniently found out that the flight tickets and holiday had in deed been booked for the two weeks period, but my Girlfriend's visa was only valid for 10 days! Neither of us had thought to check it!

Greek Immigration wanted to charge a $100 fine for the visa violation. I got away with that, but my Girlfriend received the dreaded black stamp in her passport.

The Russian Agency here as usual, refused to accept any responsibilty. Since then we haven't returned to any European countries and we can always change her passport. As far as I'm aware, the Greeks did not enter anything into their immigraton computer.

Your problem is that, you're now 'black listed' in the dreaded British Embassy computer, even if you change passports, they'lll have your details on file from the applications you previously submitted.

I do not advise you to falsify anything, they ways of checking! Best go the letter explanation route or find yourself a British fiancee future husband to fix it.

Good luck

Limitchik
04-02-2004, 11:59
Originally posted by kniga
Limitchik,

How's your love life? You've been grumpy as hell lately! :-)

Pretty much on the rocks after being called "she" by Ghost.

Ghost
04-02-2004, 12:00
I'm trying to maintain your anonymity with your pseudonym. But if you don't give a damn about it, so shall it be done, so shall it be written.

You are a MAN, baby! A mmaaaaaannnnn...

Moscow Wolf
04-02-2004, 12:08
And to follow on from the original post here, that guy described is probably The Consul. Probably didn't know that they had one in Sheremetyevo did you!

A few years ago my visa (when they were still lose bits of paper)was expiring just prior to my Birthday and the 08th March celebrations and I decided that I wanted to spend that time here!

I went to some of my MVD friends and asked how I/They could fix it for me to extend my visa. Ah no problem they say, we'll get you a 'Spravka' to say you've lost your visa and you just show it at the Airport a few days later when you want to go and your off!

Naive Wolf enjoys the birthday and 08th celebrations goes to the airport on about the 10th, gets through Customs but at Check In gets the old, 'Please wait here' routine.

That guy you described or someone like him turned (The Airport Consul) up and in trying to keep the story short, I got refused exit. I lost the cost of my flight ticket; it took me all week to find the original sponsor of my visa so that I could fix all the necessary documentation to get out of Russia!

The whole process must've cost me over $1k. Moral of the story, leave on time or a least a day or two before your visa expires.

kniga
04-02-2004, 12:16
Limitchik,

The Ghost Who Walks is correct. I can attest to the fact that you are a man. As to the cure for your grumpiness, that is a subject best discussed over lunch. :-)

Limitchik
04-02-2004, 12:16
Originally posted by Ghost
I'm trying to maintain your anonymity with your pseudonym. But if you don't give a damn about it, so shall it be done, so shall it be written.

You are a MAN, baby! A mmaaaaaannnnn...

Ah, , I did indeed make a "once a month" comment up above, didn't I ? I completely forgot about that. Nice catch, Casper. That was more of a self-degrading humor bit designed to justify my petulant response than an attempt at disguising my identity. But I appreciate your efforts anyway.

I adamantly refuse to relate any Sheremetevo stories.

Ghost
04-02-2004, 12:19
Am I my brother's keeper? YES I AM.

Lanahka
04-02-2004, 12:44
I got red diploma when i graduated the university last year.And i went to london to study(my parents paid for my studding).Ive a lot of relatives and friends there,so ive not any problems WHERE to live.
regarding marridge....i dont think its good idea.Here is a lot of people fr all over the world,its not problem.To get married only for staying THERE....stupid thing
Ive not met my soul mate yet.
But regarding letter with explonations-u are right!!!By i missed my time(ive been in shok and nobody advanced me)
Sveta

CanGuy
04-02-2004, 16:49
No, Sveta's is genuinely awful.
CanGuy deserved a kicking for starting the absurd thread.

Hey Ned Kelly, I just wanted to share my story, was not looking for any feedback. Maybe it would have been better to post this one in Bardak.

kja
04-02-2004, 20:37
Originally posted by Lanahka
(my parents paid for my studding)

Care to elaborate or is this best saved for bardak?

Moscow Wolf
05-02-2004, 00:55
Kja, leave the poor girl alone can't you read, she's in SHOK!

yuriobass
05-02-2004, 12:32
Sveta, if they put some mark into your passport and that was how the Embassy figured out your "illegality", this is easy: just get a new passport.

Lanahka
05-02-2004, 13:58
I already have changed my passport. But im in the black file
...But im happy here in Moscow now

Ned Kelly
05-02-2004, 14:08
CanGuy, they're trying to get a stupid folder. you should've held out. hopefully there you can post without getting feedback.

DJ Biscuit
05-02-2004, 14:18
Originally posted by CanGuy

Hey Ned Kelly, I just wanted to share my story, was not looking for any feedback. Maybe it would have been better to post this one in Bardak.

What is the point in starting a thread if you don't want feedback?

;) :confused:

CanGuy
05-02-2004, 14:42
Just was very bored in my cost accounting lab and look what a monstrosity I created!!

Less then 3 months to go until the big M!!

DJ Biscuit
05-02-2004, 14:47
Oh.

The big M? Moscow? Marriage? Middle age? My wife doesn't understand me so I am going to have an affair?...

CanGuy
05-02-2004, 14:50
"The big M? Moscow? Marriage? Middle age? My wife doesn't understand me so I am going to have an affair?..."

I mean Moscow, not married, only 20!

Moscow Wolf
08-02-2004, 05:59
Lanahka did we agree to dinner or not, I've forgotten, you bring the French mineral water and I'll supply the chappie and we can sort this crap out, believe me I have the power! I'm just trying to remember who suggested you had two heads tho!