PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite place in Moscow?

kak
03-02-2004, 19:00
maybe such a thread alredy exist, i do not know...anyway, since i'm quite new in town, i'd like to know what is your favorite place in Moscow? what place? where? and...why? :)

Lanahka
04-02-2004, 13:24
Hi. regarding clubs: Ministerstvo, Real McCoy, somethimes we go to the Karma bar
regarding pubs; Molly Gvins(new Arbat)
restauran;Biskvit(Kuznetsky most),Y Pushkina
it depends what do u like

La_penka
04-02-2004, 13:30
Karma bar, m. Kuznetskiy most, to chill out
TGI Friday, I like the atmospere
Depends what you plan it for

Ghost
04-02-2004, 13:31
Limitchic's basement.

allice
04-02-2004, 13:34
Park Pobedy, any bench near the fountains. Not this time of year though.

kak
04-02-2004, 13:48
I do not know a lot of places...but i like :Kult, Real Mc coy, cafe le gateau, a lilltle bar called in english "the last drop" near puschinski square...that for clubs and cafes...I have tried several parks here, i do not really like them, they were too 'grey" for me does anyone know a quiet , nice, green grass and flowers friendly place ?where do you go when you need to relax in moscow? no other solution that go away from the city???

Ned Kelly
04-02-2004, 13:54
i think you'd need to visit your local atrium to find grass and flowers at this time of year.

kak
04-02-2004, 14:03
;) and not at this time of the year? when the snow is gone? where do you go?

Ned Kelly
04-02-2004, 14:07
go and skate at gorky park. it's good fun.
coming from a sunny climate i am a shocking skater but always try to line up a group of girls when i'm going to fall . copped a few handbags for that actually.

Alethea
Originally posted by kakrout
I have tried several parks here, i do not really like them, they were too 'grey" for me does anyone know a quiet , nice, green grass and flowers friendly place ?where do you go when you need to relax in moscow? no other solution that go away from the city???

Try Hermitage garden . Do you know Petrovka street (nearest metro is Checkovskaya/Pushkinskaya)? It has an extention called Karetny Ryad which goes upto Sadovaya-Karetnaya street.
Hermitage is a lovely park with chestnat trees and maples .
As an extra , it has three (!)theatres and even Opera House:)

The bigger one is *Botanical garden* .

Ned Kelly
yes, agree, that's a nice spot.

Alethea
04-02-2004, 14:08
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
yes, agree, that's a nice spot.

Which of those?:)

Ned Kelly
04-02-2004, 14:11
hermitage.

Limitchik
04-02-2004, 14:23
Originally posted by Ghost
Limitchic's basement.

You don't even wanna know what I got stored down there.

You know what I really like, even if it's a bit morbid ? Novodevichye cemetery. Honestly. No joshin.

It's a great place to take visiting guests since there are so many famous Russians buried there, people guests can relate to like Chekhov, Gogol, Lenin's brother, Stalin's family, Gorbacheva, Lebed, Nikulin, Borovik, Tupolev, etc. It's also amazingly quiet and pretty.

Granted, I don't go there to sit down and relax, but I really think it's a neat place. Georgian restaurant across the street from the neighboring monastary is not bad either.

DJ Biscuit
04-02-2004, 14:28
It's also amazingly quiet

Funny that, for a cemetary doncha think?!

Amazing.

:D

Alethea
04-02-2004, 14:34
Originally posted by Limitchik

You know what I really like, even if it's a bit morbid ? Novodevichye cemetery. Honestly. No joshin.

It's also amazingly quiet and pretty.

Not morbid at all. If I wasn't cowardly, I would have admitted that I like cemeteries before you. Catholic ones are particularly pretty.

Shaun
04-02-2004, 14:37
novodevichy like a lot of parks in moscow isnt 'amazingly quiet' you can still hear the traffic, the thing is surrounded by a main road. it is reeeally nice though.

Also kolomenskoye and tsaritsino are nice and v evocative

Alethea
04-02-2004, 14:38
Hey, you know what he meant, don't you?
Silence and stillness - they are two features we lack in the cities and long for(sometime)
I would add to the list art galleries and churches .

Shaun
04-02-2004, 14:45
er, well, yeah, i did know what he meant. and one of the frustrating things about moscow is its so hard to find silence. this especially irritates me as i live next to some flats being built and they are drilling etc etc all through the night. and when you go somewhere like novodevichy, even then, there is always the rumble of cars. i went out to a dacha a couple of weeks ago and it was REAL silence and i just stood and listened for about an hour. was magic.

sfjohns67
04-02-2004, 14:58
For the silence-lovers out there...if you really and truly crave it enough to take a slight jaunt out of the center, go out to Kuskovo Park (not the Estate). There are a ton of paths in/through/around the park, one of which takes you pretty much to the center of the park's forest area. When you're in that center area, it feels as if you've been dropped into the middle of Yosemite. It's really that quiet.

There area few clearings there where you can have a picnic (summertime, of course) or just sit and have a few shots of ice-cold vodka with mandarini slices to chase 'em while you enjoy your peace-n-quiet. :cool:

kak
04-02-2004, 15:19
true sfjohns67 i went there, i forgot to mention it...kuskovo park is with kolomenskoye one of the green place of Moscow :agree:

Chika
04-02-2004, 16:40
I love going to that small Japanese garden in Botanicheskiy sad near Voykovskaya metro. It is really nice there and all those little waterfalls and beautiful trees. Some small open houses in Japanese style....

Ignia
04-02-2004, 18:30
I like Bitsevsky Park - summertime, of course :) It is large enough to be quiet, clean enough to lie right on the gr**** and not that far from my place.
I just love it!

ReturnOfBroadmoor
04-02-2004, 18:42
Originally posted by Alethea
Not morbid at all. If I wasn't cowardly, I would have admitted that I like cemeteries before you. Catholic ones are particularly pretty.

Lots of people I knew back in olde Broadmoor loved cemeteries. They especially loved to put their enemies (or their well insured formerly loved ones) in said facilities.

Masha
04-02-2004, 19:14
Hello! I know a lot of wonderful places in Moscow! The first is Serebryaniy bor (its on Polezhaevskaya station), the second is Krylatskiye holmy (hills) (Molodezhnaya station). if you need details, write me PM.

DJ Biscuit
04-02-2004, 19:34
nice to see no one has put the departure lounge at at the airport! :D

kja
04-02-2004, 20:21
Oddly enough, home is my favorite place during the week.

During the weekends, I reccomend any of the fine museums on offer, ballet (the Kremlin ballet ain't the Bolshoi, but they're good and for 50-100 rubles a ticket, who cares about the interior?) or a concert. All ranges of music from classical to rock to jazz to experimental Mongolian music can be found it you take the time to look around.

It's been quite some time since I've stepped foot in a club here. Going out isn't completely cost prohibitive, but the payoff sucks in most places (e.g.: not even getting in the club due to face contol by some limitchik working the door, overpriced drinks, no room on the "dance floor" to move without some provincial snatch stepping on your feet, etc. etc.) and...well, I was never really into clubs to begin with. Being practically married helps too. :-)

I find the best times can be had at home with friends, though during the summer (provided we have one as we didn't last year) we tend to walk aimlessly around town in a semi-drunken-yet-amusing stupor.

Vega
05-02-2004, 23:53
Serebryany Bor in a summer time, but not in a weekends;you can take a water bicycle; or how it called in English. I sink Ponds in Serenryany Bor a dirty for swimming.
Japanese garden in the Botanical Garden; Old Kuskovo Park with a musiem of Porselain; and what about Luberezky Quarry , which is so cool in a summer time, so wild!!! Yes, I was there!

Ha-ha, expats now only five pubs in the Center.

Krylatskoye and Strogino: nice for winter sports.

At least Kolomenskoye - It is an old garden with apple-trees, and old cemetery on a hill, and liners on a riverside.

Good pub is wich one is suitable for you just now; the music, the crowd. I now about twenty good places, each one is with a character.

I love Moscow.

Vega
05-02-2004, 23:53
Serebryany Bor in a summer time, but not in a weekends;you can take a water bicycle; or how it called in English. I sink Ponds in Serenryany Bor a dirty for swimming.
Japanese garden in the Botanical Garden; Old Kuskovo Park with a musiem of Porselain; and what about Luberezky Quarry , which is so cool in a summer time, so wild!!! Yes, I was there!

Ha-ha, expats now only five pubs in the Center.

Krylatskoye and Strogino: nice for winter sports.

At least Kolomenskoye - It is an old garden with apple-trees, and old cemetery on a hill, and liners on a riverside.

Good pub is wich one is suitable for you just now; the music, the crowd. I now about twenty good places, each one is with a character.

I love Moscow.

Spartak
06-02-2004, 00:59
Strange no-one mentions cold chamapagne in the Summer up by the river near the Lenin Hills/Academy of Science building? Dynamo & Lyzhniki are also nice places for footy although I used to quite like Torpedo's old ground for some reason. Did we forget Tsaritsina?

Moscow Wolf
08-02-2004, 06:16
Moscow Zoo, my cage. I'm looking for sponsors by the way, my chappie rations have gone down considerably since the $ fell! Don't even get me shot of Armenian cognac in my morning water on these cold mornings anymore! Next time they leave my cage open, I'm off to guard some new Russian's dacha I can tell you and sod the publicity.

Cowgirl
09-02-2004, 19:01
My favorite place in Moscow is Sheremetyevo-2 airport, DEPARTURE HALL!! :D

DJ Biscuit
09-02-2004, 19:05
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
nice to see no one has put the departure lounge at at the airport! :D

So you didn't see this from the previous page then?

:D

Cowgirl
09-02-2004, 19:29
As a matter of fact I must have skipped that one. :) But really, it's pretty cool to get out every now and then. For instance, right now I'm in Beijing, China, and can't say I'm unbelievably homesick.

k.oflynn
09-02-2004, 21:34
Sokol village.

Dom Vasnetsova, museum. Wooden fairytale like house.

Abramtsevo. Not quite Moscow but what the hell.

Wooden bench opposite Belgian embassy on Khlebny pereulok.

KOF

kak
07-06-2004, 11:10
let's bring back to life an old post to see if people got new ideas...since the good weather is maybe coming back i still like to know where people like to have a nice walk..any nice places/spots are welcome .

Heyzeus
07-06-2004, 13:20
I agree with the cemetary. Very beautiful and most everyone can find a grave of interest. Artists, politicians, scientists and more. All of my American students love my Tribute to Vahktanghov photo. The Russians find it blasphemous

Filimon
07-06-2004, 13:27
Originally posted by k.oflynn
Sokol village.

Dom Vasnetsova, museum. Wooden fairytale like house.

Abramtsevo. Not quite Moscow but what the hell.

Wooden bench opposite Belgian embassy on Khlebny pereulok.

KOF

It's called the Artists' Village. I like it too, it's fascinating: a proper village in Central Moscow.

ife
07-06-2004, 13:42
You should visit the old botanical garden at Prospekt Mira - about a hundred metres left out of the circle line station and through the new glass-fronted building. I think it's called Aptekarski Ogorod (the old MGU garden).

lazelle
07-06-2004, 17:15
Everybody is talking about green places...I love cancerigene ones: Petrovitch/First with the terrace/Shambala with the terrace/Trish (new club, not bad). For the new best view of Moscow, and knowing the fact a penny saved is worthless(:)), go to Snobs ( nearby Krapotkinskaya). It is fantastic to have diner there at sunset.
Concerning green areas, I do think that you have to go outside of Moscow to find stg interesting...

Kshisya
07-06-2004, 17:39
Originally posted by Ignia
I like Bitsevsky Park - summertime, of course :) It is large enough to be quiet, clean enough to lie right on the gr**** and not that far from my place.
I just love it!

I secondon Bitsa! it's cool, lovely, queit - real forest in the city :cool: beside you can always rent a horse from Bitsa KSK and enjoy the ride ;)

I like Uni apple gardens in spring (i.e. at Vorobjovy Gory):)

Kuskovo is okay

There are some parts of Serebryany Bor, which are not crowded and can be enjoyable in summer

As for cafes and stuff I like Oblomov at Pyatniskaya with its pillows and stuff :D

actually my fav place is ma home :p

natalia_apple
07-06-2004, 18:00
Kamergersky side street, just off Tverskaya not far from Manezh.
Also, the Old Arbat...