PDA

View Full Version : Inheritance in Moscow

Old Pif
25-07-2013, 07:19
Dear All,

I would be very grateful for advice/opinion in the following matter.

We received a message from Moscow that our aunt passed away. She left her estate - some money and an apartment - to a group of relatives including me. None of the heirs lives in Russia.

My question is how to proceed? A copy of the will has been found by a person who assisted her in the last year or so.

Where to go with all that? And what are the options with the apartment? Can the group of heirs keep it in a trust or it must be liquidated?

O'Pif

Hayley
25-07-2013, 10:18
Dear All,

I would be very grateful for advice/opinion in the following matter.

We received a message from Moscow that our aunt passed away. She left her estate - some money and an apartment - to a group of relatives including me. None of the heirs lives in Russia.

My question is how to proceed? A copy of the will has been found by a person who assisted her in the last year or so.

Where to go with all that? And what are the options with the apartment? Can the group of heirs keep it in a trust or it must be liquidated?

O'Pif

Your first step would be to go to the Notary to open inheritance process. They will advise what paperwork needs to be submitted, but normally this is a standard list, such as Will, Certificate of Death, Property Ownership Certificate, passports of all heirs and so on.

You can register joined ownership of the property, and decide what to do with it next.

Old Pif
25-07-2013, 16:23
[QUOTE=Hayley;1194328]Your first step would be to go to the Notary to open inheritance process. They will advise what paperwork needs to be submitted, but normally this is a standard list, such as Will, Certificate of Death, Property Ownership Certificate, passports of all heirs and so on.

Thanks a lot!

How easy is to collect those papers? Certificate of Death and Property Ownership Certificate.

All heirs are not close relatives and have different names. Is the will copy enough for that?

Hayley
25-07-2013, 17:33
[QUOTE=Hayley;1194328]Your first step would be to go to the Notary to open inheritance process. They will advise what paperwork needs to be submitted, but normally this is a standard list, such as Will, Certificate of Death, Property Ownership Certificate, passports of all heirs and so on.

Thanks a lot!

How easy is to collect those papers? Certificate of Death and Property Ownership Certificate.

All heirs are not close relatives and have different names. Is the will copy enough for that?

Well it all depends on personal relationship, really - like if someone who has been there with her and was able to notify you of the existence of the will that's a good sign right there - try to get the paperwork with the help of that person.