PDA

View Full Version : Transfering large amount from Russia to US bank

willy123
25-07-2013, 01:41
If anyone had an experience transferring $50K-$200K out as NON-resident Russian citizen.
What exactly happens step by step at the bank after you walk in with a bag of rubles? any documents besides US passport? what to expect?

FatAndy
25-07-2013, 01:46
http://sberbank.ru/moscow/ru/person/remittance/out/cash/

Hayley
25-07-2013, 10:27
http://sberbank.ru/moscow/ru/person/remittance/out/cash/

This is good for up to maybe 10K at the most.

Best do this - have an account open in Sberbank, deposit all the cash in there, then make a transfer of 5K a day - which is fully within the allowed limit, no questions asked. It will take you almost 3 months, but hey - that's the easiest way.

If you are willing to explain where the money came from you might be able to transfer all in one go - but in that case, you might be under scrutiny from your foreign bank.

I had a friend transfer 75K euro from Germany to US after selling property there, the bloody bank froze her account, reported her to IRS and gave her hell for extended time. It was terrible, I felt so sorry for the whole thing. Eventually they made her give up some of it and she got the rest. But the whole experience was so frustrating.

Hayley
25-07-2013, 13:51
Ok just to clarify - to everyone who is reading - when I say 5k dollars a day or equivalent, this is only true for residents of Russia - people who have accounts starting with 401 - anyone whose account starts with 402 is a non-resident, and as long as there is some proof of where the funds came from is NOT limited to any particular amount.

So if you have an account starting with 402 and want to transfer 200K - go and do it in one go.

FatAndy
25-07-2013, 14:36
Ok just to clarify - to everyone who is reading - when I say 5k dollars a day or equivalent, this is only true for residents of Russia - people who have accounts starting with 401 - anyone whose account starts with 402 is a non-resident, and as long as there is some proof of where the funds came from is NOT limited to any particular amount.

So if you have an account starting with 402 and want to transfer 200K - go and do it in one go.
You may transfer w/o account as well (at least with SB).

MashaSashina
25-07-2013, 15:32
If anyone had an experience transferring $50K-$200K out as NON-resident Russian citizen.
What exactly happens step by step at the bank after you walk in with a bag of rubles? any documents besides US passport? what to expect?

Why don't you ask the bank? Even if someone here had similar experience things could change since that time. Service of financial monitoring constantly change rules for banks, and the banks themselves improve their internal control policies and procedures.

Benedikt
25-07-2013, 20:16

up to 10k $ you can take out every one time without proof of where the money comes form.
easy jet flies for 99 euro to the UK..
five to 10 long weekends and your money is there. or 20 if needed.
ever thought of buying traveller cheques? just a thought....

inorcist
25-07-2013, 20:57
Talk to both banks, the one where you transfer the money from and the one where you transfer the money to before making the transfer.

As a rule of thumb, any inflow of more than USD 20k triggers anti money laundry procedures in most countries. So, if you notify your bank in advance and provide necessary documentation beforehand things will work out more easily.

robertmf
26-07-2013, 16:39
Talk to both banks, the one where you transfer the money from and the one where you transfer the money to before making the transfer.

As a rule of thumb, any inflow of more than USD 20k triggers anti money laundry procedures in most countries. So, if you notify your bank in advance and provide necessary documentation beforehand things will work out more easily.

US$10k in the US will get you looked at.

guiguigui
09-09-2013, 22:23

Does anyone know what means a Bank Account starting with 408? is it resident or non resident?

Thanks

Hayley
09-09-2013, 22:42
Does anyone know what means a Bank Account starting with 408? is it resident or non resident?

Thanks

Company, legal entity

Alan65
10-09-2013, 10:22
up to 10k $ you can take out every one time without proof of where the money comes form.
easy jet flies for 99 euro to the UK..
five to 10 long weekends and your money is there. or 20 if needed.
ever thought of buying traveller cheques? just a thought....

The problem with that Ben is if you deposit more than 2k into a UK bank you will be asked where it came from.

penka
10-09-2013, 11:45
The problem with that Ben is if you deposit more than 2k into a UK bank you will be asked where it came from.

It's 5000 SEK which is approx 580 EUR in Swe.

penka
10-09-2013, 11:56
On the subject - I don't get smth here. Whilst traveling I've accumulated a smaller sum of equivalent of 4500 USD. Small bills, different currencies, all taxed already. Fine, I went to Sberbank in Moscow, changed everything to USD, opened an account and wanted to make a transfer to my own account. Alas, that was not possible as I was told I had to explain where the money came from. Cash, accumulated during a period of time, as it was, didn;t work - the gal told me they must report to the tax authority and she must pick the source of money from the menu. She even tried to write it as a gift, but that was also rejected by the system. Can somebody explain, please?

Hayley
10-09-2013, 19:12
Use something like Возврат неизрасходованных средств

I am puzzled by the amount though = was it 170K in roubles or thereabouts? Normally no questions should be asked because its such a small amount.

On the subject - I don't get smth here. Whilst traveling I've accumulated a smaller sum of equivalent of 4500 USD. Small bills, different currencies, all taxed already. Fine, I went to Sberbank in Moscow, changed everything to USD, opened an account and wanted to make a transfer to my own account. Alas, that was not possible as I was told I had to explain where the money came from. Cash, accumulated during a period of time, as it was, didn;t work - the gal told me they must report to the tax authority and she must pick the source of money from the menu. She even tried to write it as a gift, but that was also rejected by the system. Can somebody explain, please?

penka
10-09-2013, 19:21
Use something like Возврат неизрасходованных средств

I am puzzled by the amount though = was it 170K in roubles or thereabouts? Normally no questions should be asked because its such a small amount.

No, I was talking to the gal working at Sberbank. To use what you do mention, one should have money tranfferred to one's account from abroad, no?

I don't know how much it was in RUB, but it was about 4500 USD, i e below 5000 USD.

I don't know what normal is, hence the question here.

inorcist
10-09-2013, 20:06
I've accumulated a smaller sum of equivalent of 4500 USD.

Hmm ... I've never managed to 'accumulate' that much in various currencies. Am kind if jealous now ;)

Anyway, I'd have thought one would declare that kind of money as 'taxed income' when transferring it abroad if that's what it was as you said.