PDA

View Full Version : Shaving cream and mangos...

DavidStone
12-07-2013, 15:43
This is pretty basic.
I really couldn't find a suitable forum to ask this question so why not here? :)

I'm not living here yet. But I am staying long enough to run out of my shaving cream (Gillette foam).

It's the small travel size can (49 gm. /1.7 oz)

Where the heck does one go in Moscow to buy travel size (as in SMALL size)
toiletry items such as a small can of shaving foam?

It doesn't have to be Gillette, but 49 gm size sure would be nice.
Any locations for this hard to find size would be appreciated.

And what about the mangos?
$10 for a mango?
What is going on here? :)

Sent by a Canuck.

Alan65
12-07-2013, 15:46
This is pretty basic.
I really couldn't find a suitable forum to ask this question so why not here? :)

I'm not living here yet. But I am staying long enough to run out of my shaving cream (Gillette foam).

It's the small travel size can (49 gm. /1.7 oz)

toiletry items such as a small can of shaving foam?

It doesn't have to be Gillette, but 49 gm size sure would be nice.
Any locations for this hard to find size would be appreciated.

$10 for a mango?

Sent by a Canuck.

Just buy a normal size can and leave it in the hotel when you leave....or grow a beard.

Cant help with the Mangos

DavidStone
12-07-2013, 15:52
Just buy a normal size can and leave it in the hotel when you leave....or grow a beard.

Cant help with the Mangos

Boy that was fast! :)

So they don't sell the ultra small size cans (49gm) in Moscow?

krasotochka
12-07-2013, 15:53
As for shaving foam, probably in one of pharmacies they could have a travel size, it normal shops I almost never see this.

Mangos... Grrrr.... Even if you pay 10$ for a mango, it taste plastic. So, I wouldn't borther them here at all...

DavidStone
12-07-2013, 17:21
As for shaving foam, probably in one of pharmacies they could have a travel size, it normal shops I almost never see this.

Mangos... Grrrr.... Even if you pay 10$ for a mango, it taste plastic. So, I wouldn't borther them here at all...

Thanks Krastochka.
I have already been to a few pharmacies in addition to the supermarkets,
but haven't seen any travel size foam yet, but I'll just have to keep looking I guess.

I wouldn't buy the mangos just on principle. :)
There obviously is a market though, or they wouldn't be stocking them.
I buy them for $1 in Canada. :)

Alan65
12-07-2013, 17:31
Thanks Krastochka.
I have already been to a few pharmacies in addition to the supermarkets,
but haven't seen any travel size foam yet, but I'll just have to keep looking I guess.

I wouldn't buy the mangos just on principle. :)
There obviously is a market though, or they wouldn't be stocking them.
I buy them for $1 in Canada. :)

Have you tried Siberian mangos?

mrzuzzo
12-07-2013, 17:37
10$ for a mango? Never seen such prices in Moscow... Maybe it's 10$ for a kilogram?

Benedikt
12-07-2013, 17:37
[QUOTE=DavidStone;1189464]This is pretty basic.

and in the underpass that leads on to the other side to the METRO, there are several kiosks who sell them.
for sure there must be other places as well.

and a Mango for that money?
well, when I was in Thailand, Apples and Pears were individually wrapped and were sold by the piece. with prices to match. Because these fruits are exotic there. We had 9 variations of Bananas in Indonesia But it was hard to try and find good potatoes. Only in supermarkets.(Potatoes, not sweet potatoes, they are plenty full).
so every country has its exotics that are normal in an other.such is life.
For 150 rubles i buy now 3 kgr LOCAL SUN RIPE Apricots, they are in season, why would i need the green, tasteless important junk. ( what i need for the hotel's kitchens is another story. but what i buy for at home is always seasonal)

Benedikt
12-07-2013, 17:41
10$ for a mango? Never seen such prices in Moscow... Maybe it's 10$ for a kilogram?

Mangos are not so exotic like Dragon fruit, Maracuja and the like that they are being sold per piece. but that is always written on rather small.

on the other hand, meat and fish look very cheap indeed, until you see that the price is for 100 grams.
good pr and marketing....
or that the cheap price comes only in effect when you buy 2 or 4 or 4 of that item. if it is ONE only, the price for sure is different.

Viola
12-07-2013, 17:54
49 Rub for one fruit from Israel in 7 Continent http://www.7cont.ru/good/39471/
In Utkonos
200 Rub per kilo - unknown origin http://www.utkonos.ru/item/12379s1/
500 Rub per kilo from Thailand http://www.utkonos.ru/item/12381s1/

49 Rub/100 gramm (one fruit ~270 Rub) in Azbuka vkusa http://shop.av.ru/food/30350/30363/30371/156314/

You can find anything in Moscow :)

Benedikt
12-07-2013, 18:00
49 Rub for one fruit from Israel in 7 Continent http://www.7cont.ru/good/39471/
In Utkonos
200 Rub per kilo - unknown origin http://www.utkonos.ru/item/12379s1/
500 Rub per kilo from Thailand http://www.utkonos.ru/item/12381s1/

49 Rub/100 gramm (one fruit ~270 Rub) in Azbuka vkusa http://shop.av.ru/food/30350/30363/30371/156314/

You can find anything in Moscow :)

because they come here ripe and ready to eat. :)not like the red/green variety.

Viola
12-07-2013, 18:03
[COLOR="Red"]

Exactly. They mention that they have ripened on the tree ;)

robertmf
12-07-2013, 18:04

2 mangos for $3 here at grocery, but they are the red/green shipped in from who-knows-where.

VicY
12-07-2013, 19:37
[QUOTE=DavidStone;1189464]This is pretty basic.

and a Mango for that money?
well, when I was in Thailand, Apples and Pears were individually wrapped and were sold by the piece. with prices to match. Because these fruits are exotic there. We had 9 variations of Bananas in Indonesia But it was hard to try and find good potatoes. Only in supermarkets.(Potatoes, not sweet potatoes, they are plenty full).
so every country has its exotics that are normal in an other.such is life.
For 150 rubles i buy now 3 kgr LOCAL SUN RIPE Apricots, they are in season, why would i need the green, tasteless important junk. ( what i need for the hotel's kitchens is another story. but what i buy for at home is always seasonal)

Very well said, Benedikt!
I'd hardly think of mangoes as a basic kind of food in Moscow.

BabyFirefly
12-07-2013, 20:17
I've never had worse mango anywhere else than Moscow. I wouldn't pay a cent for them. Even the "good" ones there sucked compared to the juicy perfection I could get back in Puerto Rico but I guess I expected too much...

My husband got the smaller shaving cream at your run of the mill apteka. We lived in the very far north end of the city, maybe search around there.

Alan65
12-07-2013, 23:05
The Mango Song

The Mango Song (10min) - YouTube

Arthuro
16-07-2013, 04:06
$10 for a mango?

Sent by a Canuck.

tropical.ru
aprox 400 roub per kilo.
avia delivery from Thailand.
expensive but great.

penka
16-07-2013, 10:34
I haven't seen any good mango or avocado so far... On the other hand, there are tons of other goodies available...

robertmf
16-07-2013, 16:50
I haven't seen any good mango or avocado so far... On the other hand, there are tons of other goodies available...

"If I had an avocado, I could make guacamole - if I had mayonnaise"

inorcist
18-07-2013, 16:56
Shaving Cream -> I have definitively seen them around and bought them as a part of those travelers' sets that come with lotion, shampoo, shower gel etc.

Mangos -> as others were saying before, don't be fooled by the price tag, the 300something rubles might well be the price per KG. But anyways I'd switch to other fruits. Exotics are not worth their money here.

RIKO
19-07-2013, 14:59
I've never had worse mango anywhere else than Moscow. I wouldn't pay a cent for them. Mangoes imported into Russia have often been kept in a cold store for months and then imported at the end of that season. That's why they're often brown and/ or rotten in the core.

Nobbynumbnuts
19-07-2013, 16:26
....That's why they're often brown and/ or rotten in the core.

My experience as well with many of the fresh pineapples that I used to buy.

RIKO
19-07-2013, 17:53
My experience as well with many of the fresh pineapples that I used to buy. Same for avocadoes.

Nobbynumbnuts
19-07-2013, 23:02
Same for avocadoes.

True, I found if I ripened my own I had more success but often they wouldn't ripen or would go from hard like a rock to black over night and I tried all the tricks! ;)

RIKO
21-07-2013, 00:56
toiletry items such as a small can of shaving foam? Auchan have the small size shaving cream. Just seen it today.