PDA

View Full Version : Moscow’s New Pedestrian Areas

Judge
11-07-2013, 13:48
Useful info for people who like to wander around without the threat of being run over or walking around cars that park on pavements..

The other week I was drinking at Kamchatka, ''the retro-Soviet café'', at Kuznetsky Most, , was very suprised with the prices for this part of town, well worth a visit if you're passing, lots of room to sit outside ... can't say I saw any yobs or tramps, many western tourists were there enjoying themsevles.
The 80ru beer is OK, no reports of the usual headache that follows the next day after drinking Russian beer..

Kuznetsky Most
With most of Kuznetsky Most completely pedestrianized this summer, along with part of Rozhdestvenka ulitsa, there is a decent non-car walk from Tverskaya ulitsa to Detsky Mir. This has led to the phenomenon of Kamchatka, the retro-Soviet café which opened last fall, and hastaken over the area behind TsUM department store with a recipe of cheap beer (80 rubles) and street food cooked on a huge grill. Prime location and dirt-cheap prices means that Kamchatka is, as one regular was overheard to say, where "hipstery tusyuetsty s bomzhami s gopnikami" or "hipsters hang out with tramps and yobs." High-heeled TsUM shoppers should also be added to that contingent.

http://themoscownews.com/local/20130709/191751510/A-Guide-to-Moscows-New-Pedestrian-Areas-.html

Alan65
11-07-2013, 15:15
Useful info for people who like to wander around without the threat of being run over or walking around cars that park on pavements..

The other week I was drinking at Kamchatka, ''the retro-Soviet café'', at Kuznetsky Most, , was very suprised with the prices for this part of town, well worth a visit if you're passing, lots of room to sit outside ... can't say I saw any yobs or tramps, many western tourists were there enjoying themsevles.
The 80ru beer is OK, no reports of the usual headache that follows the next day after drinking Russian beer..

http://themoscownews.com/local/20130709/191751510/A-Guide-to-Moscows-New-Pedestrian-Areas-.html

Its a lovely area, can see it really developing over the next few years into cafe culture, in part aided by the smoking ban that is forcing restaurant owners to have outside terraces.

It would be nice to see the Naberzehea around Red October pedestrianised also, its a nothing road and would be nice to sit out by the river.

Lost in moscow
11-07-2013, 17:18
Many more pedestrian only area to appear around Moscow over the next 11 years.

Instead of them building larger and larger roads to fight traffic, they will be removing roads and turning them into sidewalks. Can't have traffic where there are no roads)

Alan65
11-07-2013, 17:28
Many more pedestrian only area to appear around Moscow over the next 11 years.

Instead of them building larger and larger roads to fight traffic, they will be removing roads and turning them into sidewalks. Can't have traffic where there are no roads)

Something like the Boston Big dig would help.

Big Dig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Talk of a similar scheme in London but can not see it happening.

Nobbynumbnuts
11-07-2013, 22:07
....Talk of a similar scheme in London but can not see it happening.

Yes, front page news in the Evening Standard yesterday. Talk of putting large parts of the North and South Circular (inc. Brent Cross junction and Hammersmith flyover) underground. The area above ground to be turned into park land with cycle paths etc.
Modeled on the successful schemes in Oslo and Stockholm where major roads and junctions were moved underground.

Lost in moscow
15-07-2013, 17:40
Talk of a similar scheme in London but can not see it happening.

Duma's moving out of the center, soon there will be a "DC" area where it will be mainly government. While spreading expansion into Russia rather than focused in Moscow. Focusing growth into other cities. There has been an increase of executive positions opening outside of Moscow with very tempting compensation & social packages.

It'll happen.

Alan65
15-07-2013, 20:04
Duma's moving out of the center, soon there will be a "DC" area where it will be mainly government. While spreading expansion into Russia rather than focused in Moscow. Focusing growth into other cities. There has been an increase of executive positions opening outside of Moscow with very tempting compensation & social packages.

It'll happen.

I actually meant in London. ...but you are right, I believe the high courts are moving to st petes which take a large chunk of Moscow with it.

Benedikt
15-07-2013, 21:33
Yes, front page news in the Evening Standard yesterday. Talk of putting large parts of the North and South Circular (inc. Brent Cross junction and Hammersmith flyover) underground. The area above ground to be turned into park land with cycle paths etc.
Modeled on the successful schemes in Oslo and Stockholm where major roads and junctions were moved underground.

but nothing so far came out from the abandoned diggings in front of the Paveletskaya railway Stain, the Belarusskaya is also a constant building site.
Unfortunately the weather in Moscow does not favor to much anyway, pedestrian malls with little out door cafes and open shops. the 4 month nice weather can not make up for 8 month grime, cold and snow.
winter has not to many tourists traipsing through the piles of snow and negotiation the badly cleaned Old Arbat for instance.
the (newly renovated, and very well done indeed) small side streets behind the building of the Presidents Administration would be an example for a pedestrian mall. special during the weekend, the black tanks are all gone, no traffic there, they should develop it. so far, nothing. it is just dead. there are a few small but excellent restaurants/bistros there,definitely worth a try and sitting outside during a balmy afternoon or evening.
and while in every other country the main square is considered a prime place for doing business, here on the Red Square one is only allowed to stare in awe at the the mausoleum and whisper about the glorious past. does not mean they should turn it over into a bazaar, but the Manege between the Moscow Hotel, Metropol and the old Lenin Museum does a roaring trade, even if it is a tourist trap.
Well, Rome wan't built in one day either and so it will be still many years to come before Moscow will be a City one wants to come to, and not only to see some old bones on Red Square.

inorcist
15-07-2013, 23:03
but nothing so far came out from the abandoned diggings in front of the Paveletskaya railway Stain, the Belarusskaya is also a constant building site.

The permission to develop the area in front of Paveletskaya has been revoked recently after nothing has been achieved in all these years and they're planning to build a transportation hub - whatever that's supposed to be ...

Similar thing at Belorusskaya. The construction has been very abruptly finished - or almost finished - and discussions are ongoing what makes most sense in the area.

Benedikt
15-07-2013, 23:05
The permission to develop the area in front of Paveletskaya has been revoked recently after nothing has been achieved in all these years and they're planning to build a transportation hub - whatever that's supposed to be ...

Similar thing at Belorusskaya. The construction has been very abruptly finished - or almost finished - and discussions are ongoing what makes most sense in the area.

and than they just declared the company bankrupt and disappeared, no doubt doing more -work- under a different name.

Alan65
15-07-2013, 23:51
Unfortunately the weather in Moscow does not favor to much anyway, pedestrian malls with little out door cafes and open shops. the 4 month nice weather can not make up for 8 month grime, cold and snow.
winter has not to many tourists traipsing through the piles of snow and negotiation the badly cleaned Old Arbat for instance.
the (newly renovated, and very well done indeed) small side streets behind the building of the Presidents Administration would be an example for a pedestrian mall. special during the weekend, the black tanks are all gone, no traffic there, they should develop it. so far, nothing. it is just dead. there are a few small but excellent restaurants/bistros there,definitely worth a try and sitting outside during a balmy afternoon or evening.
and while in every other country the main square is considered a prime place for doing business, here on the Red Square one is only allowed to stare in awe at the the mausoleum and whisper about the glorious past. does not mean they should turn it over into a bazaar, but the Manege between the Moscow Hotel, Metropol and the old Lenin Museum does a roaring trade, even if it is a tourist trap.
Well, Rome wan't built in one day either and so it will be still many years to come before Moscow will be a City one wants to come to, and not only to see some old bones on Red Square.

Benedict, stop being such a critical chef, get your arse out of the kitchen, take a day on K. Moct and just enjoy the restaurants and atmosphere without thinking what spices etc the chefs have put on the food, what the kitchen is like etc

IT HAS CHANGED....it is good, enjoy it.

Moscow is having it All Bar One moments, what do I mean by that, well simply, London in the early 90s was full of pubs for fellas, no places for professional girls to go to. All BAr One opened up a chain, the girls loved it and it changed the lanscape of British bars and restaurants.

That is what Moscow is going through.

However, I once went to meet a mate and he said he was in Al Barone...i walked up and down the street looking for Al Barone, an italian restaurant, he called me on his phone and I realised i was standing next to him outside All Bar One....i could have strangled him :D

andyindubai
24-07-2013, 16:45
Kuznetskiy Most sounds pretty good - is this the best place in Moscow for an alfresco drink/meal?

I will be hitting Moscow on Sunday, so it'll be good to get some ideas

Alan65
24-07-2013, 17:24
Kuznetskiy Most sounds pretty good - is this the best place in Moscow for an alfresco drink/meal?

I will be hitting Moscow on Sunday, so it'll be good to get some ideas

Its easy, very central, plenty of places to choose from, no cars, walking distance from the centre etc

Alan65
30-07-2013, 10:05

Hope this is implemented, especially around the Bersenevskaya Naberezhnaya, it is a real nothing road and would only add to the area creating something like the Southbank in London

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/sobyanin-plans-largest-park-in-europe-amid-mayoral-race/483806.html

Judge
26-05-2014, 14:58
update,
positives
Kamchatka bar is still open, doing great business, was there last week, over a 1000 people outside drinking in the sun.
Price for their local ' Kamchatka' beer is still the same, 80ru, can't really be beaten for location...

negatives
long queues for beer (outside) and for toilets at Kamchatka bar(unisex toilets,over 30 people waitng ), but a little tip,Vogue Café is right next door,their toilets have no queues and are splendidly clean and easy to reach, right near entrance..:11157:

FatAndy
30-05-2014, 12:13
Other side of Kamchatka has common wall with Mr. Lee Chinese restaurant, they should have a toilet too.

Judge
30-05-2014, 22:45
Other side of Kamchatka has common wall with Mr. Lee Chinese restaurant, they should have a toilet too.

Yup, Mr Lee is next door( drank there once), to use their toilet you gotta go up a flight of steps from the street,and face secuirty and hostess,won't be that easy to navigate after a few pints.
Probably would be easier to pop into ЦУМ :D