PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance

Spook
08-07-2013, 18:39
Hello Everyone! I am having a total nightmare trying to understand the documentation needed to register a car and also regarding car insurance. I am buying a friend's car next week. We are both going together to the MOTOTRER offices so that he can de-register car and I can register straight afterwards. The problem I have or the part I'm not understanding is that to register the car I need to hand over my insurance documents but to get the insurance documents I need the PTS car documents which I won't have until I buy the car?!? Can someone please talk me through how I apply here for insurance and what documentation I need to do so - is there a temporary insurance that I get until I am fully registered on the new car? I am registering the new car next Tuesday and so I need to get insurance by then.

So - any help on the whole process of registering a car and getting insurance would help me so much as at this moment I am slightly bewildered and panicking that I will not have the documentation in place by next Tuesday when I need to register the car.

Also - what level insurance should I be looking to get as an expat?

Re getting insurance, my Russian is pretty bad...not through lack of trying I might add (!!)so I'm guessing I'll need one of my Russian speaking friends to sort all this out for me by phone to the insurance company or is it done online?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!!

Fran1
08-07-2013, 21:58
To drive any vehicle in Russia every driver must have the minimum third-party liability insurance. Which is called OSAGO policy. It must be carried at all times while driving. russia.angloinfo is providing Car insurance. Visit there to know more information.

Shrinker
12-07-2013, 13:38
Hello Everyone! I am having a total nightmare trying to understand the documentation needed to register a car and also regarding car insurance. I am buying a friend's car next week. We are both going together to the MOTOTRER offices so that he can de-register car and I can register straight afterwards. The problem I have or the part I'm not understanding is that to register the car I need to hand over my insurance documents but to get the insurance documents I need the PTS car documents which I won't have until I buy the car?!? Can someone please talk me through how I apply here for insurance and what documentation I need to do so - is there a temporary insurance that I get until I am fully registered on the new car? I am registering the new car next Tuesday and so I need to get insurance by then.

So - any help on the whole process of registering a car and getting insurance would help me so much as at this moment I am slightly bewildered and panicking that I will not have the documentation in place by next Tuesday when I need to register the car.

Also - what level insurance should I be looking to get as an expat?

Re getting insurance, my Russian is pretty bad...not through lack of trying I might add (!!)so I'm guessing I'll need one of my Russian speaking friends to sort all this out for me by phone to the insurance company or is it done online?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!!
if you need an TPL insurance to register a car just buy same in kiosks which are spotted near GAI. Avoid small insurers- they easily go to bankruptcy. Apply to RESO, ROSGOSSTRAKH, VSK, SOGLASIE instead
You don't need any specific insurance being an expat. If you want you can buy addional voluntary liqability insurance for RUR 1 mil- it's not that expensive