PDA

View Full Version : Admin Requirements waived for Pope John XXIII

Jack17
06-07-2013, 00:49
I'm hoping the devout on expat.ru can walk me through the criteria for having the requirements (2 miracles) waived for sainthood. How is it that one human requires two (2) validated miracles to be a saint and another doesn't? I'm confused. :confused:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/05/-john-xxiii-sainthood_n_3549910.html

JanC
06-07-2013, 01:15
Let's give him a break, I have no doubt his single miracle was just as real as those of all the others saints.

robertmf
06-07-2013, 03:34
How is it that one human requires two (2) validated miracles to be a saint and another doesn't? I'm confused. :confused:

What don't you understand about "It's rigged" :question:

:soapbox: The convenience of faith-based organized religions is that the bosses can pretty much write their own rules, without fearing a nosy reporter will be able to check extant facts.

:trampoline:

Benedikt
06-07-2013, 07:22
[QUOTE=Jack17;1186847]I'm hoping the devout on expat.ru can walk me through the criteria for having the requirements (2 miracles) waived for sainthood. How is it that one human requires two (2) validated miracles to be a saint and another doesn't? I'm confused. :confused:

but some are more equal than others, as simple as that.:)

and not only on the religious sector.

rusmeister
06-07-2013, 09:04
Well, you guys may be right in criticizing the Catholic system, which I think to be in error in its excess of legalism and its juridical approach to theology. It's one solid reason why I am not a Catholic, much as I admire the general intelligence of intelligent Catholics.

But it seems irrational to me to criticize their choices and criteria without finding out WHY they would set aside their own general rules. I can conceive, in any system, of valid exceptions.

In any event, why should you care about things that you constantly insist are irrelevant and untrue. If a buch of whackoes preaching nonsense want to go and do something harmless like say, "This was a really great guy", what do you care? Unless, in your hearts, you feel that there IS some truth in their claims...

Benedikt
06-07-2013, 09:29
if -you- dont care, why get hot under the collar...

rusmeister
06-07-2013, 19:55
if -you- dont care, why get hot under the collar...

Who's hot under the collar?

Shiny Happy People
07-07-2013, 01:44
I'm hoping the devout on expat.ru can walk me through the criteria for having the requirements (2 miracles) waived for sainthood. How is it that one human requires two (2) validated miracles to be a saint and another doesn't? I'm confused. :confused:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/05/-john-xxiii-sainthood_n_3549910.html
Dearest Jack,

Your question is reasonable, I'm sure, but perhaps you should focus on them ratifying your first miracle, before you begin to investigate the process of having them waive the requirement for your second?

Jack17
07-07-2013, 05:00
Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

rusmeister
07-07-2013, 07:21
Dearest Jack,

Your question is reasonable, I'm sure, but perhaps you should focus on them ratifying your first miracle, before you begin to investigate the process of having them waive the requirement for your second?

Actually, I know for a fact that the Orthodox Church is very slow about officially recognizing miracles, and would bet the same is true for the Catholic Church.

You see, we really DO believe there can be such things as spiritual powers that cannot be seen, yet with power of action (however limited) in the material world. Thus, mysterious things could be done by such powers, and because we think there are evil ones as well as good ones, with intent of spiritual deception. We would say, "Let us see what fruit it brings" before we say that it is of God.

I think it far more rational to admit the possibility of things we cannot disprove that human experience consistently witnesses to (note: that excludes "Flying Spaghetti Monsters") than to arrogantly assert that they cannot exist on the basis of nothing but sheer skepticism.