PDA

View Full Version : Spravka! Temp Residency docs & app accepted

VladSkywolf
07-12-2007, 13:55
Today my wife and I are recovering from last night's celebration. :drink:

After three visits to our local FMS office, the inspector approved all my documents and issued me a 'spravka' for my temporary residency application. :hooray::applause::hooray:

I'm glad to say I did not resort to any 'expedituous' methods I briefly considered, but will simply wait out the process according to the normal course of events.

However since the inspector could have possibly rejected one of my documents as outlined here (http://http://www.expat.ru/forum/temporary-permanent-residency/51626-do-russian-consulates-stamp-criminal-records.html#post317794), but instead made the effort to verify, I decided to present her with a nice bottle of liquor and quality chocolates, saying (in my bad Russian :D) "You gave me a great New Year's present and now I'd like to give you a little gift in return". Note this was after the spravka was issued so it appeared as nothing more than it was, an appreciation of efforts.

Anyway, now comes the wait but at least the hard part is over!

:fireworks:

Bels
07-12-2007, 14:06
Congratulations, yet another joins us. How long did it take you to get the residency. And was it difficult and slow.

Bels
07-12-2007, 14:09
fingerprints etc next, then handing in your passport and collect it back again in a week. But all straightforward now, by comparison to the past.

Surfsup37
07-12-2007, 14:25
Congratulations!!

Quick Questions if you don't mind

*) Do you own property or do did you have your landlord provide a guarantee for your residence or something else?

*) I assume you currently have a multi-entry business visa now or do you have a work permit. If you have a multi-entry business visa did you tell them you were working

*) For your criminal record, did you use state or FBI?

Thanks and congratulations again.

Bels
07-12-2007, 14:33
Have or had a multi entry visa? He no longer needs a visa, in fact without special permission we have to stay in Russia for a year. Which is ok by me.

Bels
07-12-2007, 14:40
I'll leave the othere questions to be answered by an American.

I can only answer for a Brit, which appears to be a lot easier by comparison from what I've seen in previous posts.

Proper Bostonian
07-12-2007, 14:42
CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for all your previous help! Do keep us posted. I, too am interested whether you submitted a State or FBI crminal history. Also, when does your existing visa expire? Did the FMS lady give you a time frame? Do you think you'll get your temp. residency before your existing visa expires?

Congrats again!

Surfsup37
07-12-2007, 14:52
Have or had a multi entry visa? He no longer needs a visa, in fact without special permission we have to stay in Russia for a year. Which is ok by me.

I think you are jumping the gun, so to speak. He has handed in his documents, but he has not yet received his Temporary Residency visa. He will still need to be on some type of visa until his TR visa is confirmed, which by your time period is 7 months.

I am curious on which type of visa he is in the RF now: multi-entry, work, personal invite etc.

Bels
07-12-2007, 14:52
I don't think he has any problem about visa expiry, now that he knows his application has been accepted. Even if he has only a week left in his visa. The same happened to me, but I look forward to his confirmation.

Bels
07-12-2007, 14:55
Unless I've got it wrong , he's already put his application in a long time ago, and his application has been accepted. But looks like I've blundered. I'll have another read when I get back from my lessons.

Surfsup37
07-12-2007, 15:01
I don't think he has any problem about visa expiry, now that he knows his application has been accepted. Even if he has only a week left in his visa. The same happened to me, but I look forward to his confirmation.

Really?? That is not what I was told. I was told that I had to be on a valid visa while the process was ongoing. So they extended your current visa during the link of the process?

Another question if you don't mind. The paper your landlord signed for your residence, what was the time period? My landlord is very reluctant to provide any legal paperwork. We have signed a contract, but my landlord will not register us. We are thinking of moving, but I'm not sure how difficult it is going to be to find a landlord that will provide this type of paper support. I really don't want to buy a flat in Moscow in this market.

Thanks and feel free to PM if you prefer.

Judge
07-12-2007, 16:28
Congratulations, ..:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Bels
07-12-2007, 18:57
Ok, my confusion lies with the misunderstanding of the word Spravka. I thought it meant that everything is ok from headquarters and he will receive his residency soon. Like I was also informed. However if it that all documents etc has been checked and he can pass in his application so to speak, then I got wrong. I can't refer to my wife about this spravka, as she on the way back home with my passport and my official temp residency enclosed. I shall have it in my hand tonight :)

I asked my 10 year old son to translate, he explained that if go to the doctor and everything ok, you will receive a spravka and you can return to school.

Bels
07-12-2007, 19:28
Confirmed. Spravka means that official temporary sheet of paper, with your
photograph which is issued to you, when you hand in your passport to get the permanent one sorted.

So if thats the case he's got his residency, and will receive the official one inside his passport within a week. Therefore he doesn't have to worry about business visas expiring anymore.

Dashanew
07-12-2007, 23:40
fingerprints etc next, then handing in your passport and collect it back again in a week. But all straightforward now, by comparison to the past.

hi

what is this "collect it back again in a week"? my husband is Swiss and received his "temporary residence permit" directly by a stamp in his passport after about 7 months, OVIR office wrote a letter that the permit is ready, he went with his passport, received the stamp inside and that is all, he just had to register then at the pasportni stol.

Bels
08-12-2007, 00:03
hi

what is this "collect it back again in a week"? my husband is Swiss and received his "temporary residence permit" directly by a stamp in his passport after about 7 months, OVIR office wrote a letter that the permit is ready, he went with his passport, received the stamp inside and that is all, he just had to register then at the pasportni stol.

Looks like we have different situations. You handed your passport in. YES?

So that they could insert their stamp. YES? They took your passport and stated you can pick it up in a week YES? When then they took your passport they gave yoour passport they gave you a temporary sheet of paper with your photo on it, SPRAVDA or whatever. YES? And a week later you picked up your passport with the permanent original temporary residency inserted in your passport.YES?

Otherwise the Western oblast of Moscow is diffrent from Central Moscow.

Clean32
08-12-2007, 01:36
hi

must be something new, sheesh the newbies get it easy nowdays, just waite untill thay do there registration after there first year, Tax account etc etc all fun LOL

VladSkywolf
08-12-2007, 13:34
Confirmed. Spravka means that official temporary sheet of paper, with your
photograph which is issued to you, when you hand in your passport to get the permanent one sorted.

So if thats the case he's got his residency, and will receive the official one inside his passport within a week. Therefore he doesn't have to worry about business visas expiring anymore.

Sorry Bels (and everyone else), I didn't mean to confuse the issue. Re-reading my post and if one is not familiar with my prior posts, I can see how it may be misinterpreted if taken literally. No, this is a spravka which is issued when you submit your application with all associated documents and is accepted for processing. So I still have the approx 6 month wait before I get the actual residency permit (which is why I mentioned "now comes the wait" :)).

The spravka literally says this:

------------

Справка

дана <name of applicant> в том, что <date> года от него (неё) принято к рассмотрению

заявление о выдаче разрешения на временное проживание.

Rough translation:

This is to certify that <name> application for temporary residency, submitted on <date>, was accepted for consideration.

------------

This spravka is stamped and signed by the inspector. They also stamped and signed my migration card.

To be honest, after all the time and effort it took me to get to this point, we felt the celebration was definitely justified. Of course, once I get the actual permit stamped into my passport, we'll be having an even bigger celebration. :) This will involve a proper party with all my Russian friends, family, beer and vodka. ;)

VladSkywolf
08-12-2007, 13:47
Thanks everyone for your congrats! We definitely feel as if a burden has been lifted from our shoulders!

In answer to everyone's questions:

Property: My wife is the legal owner of our flat, so resident registration issues were non-existent for me. As I understand it, you may have a problem if the landlord refuses to cooperate since they'll have to provide a notarized copy of the deed as well as written consent allowing you to reside there.

Visa: I am currently here on a multi-entry business visa which expires May, 2008

Criminal record: I submitted my state (NJ) record, though I highly recommend obtaining an FBI record since this almost proved to be an issue for me. Also, your state's apostille may be unfamiliar to your FMS inspector, in which case it may be advisable to obtain a stamp from the Russian consulate which represents your state. I didn't need this BUT it (also) almost became an issue.

Other comments:

I was told approximately six months for the permit, but it was implied it may be sooner. A lot depends of the current work load of your FMS office and how quickly other offices respond to their requests. Queries are made to the tax authorities and police (FSB?) - obviously they have no control over how long those offices take to respond. Afterwards it is processed by the main (regional) FMS office, which could take 4 months.

Visa: You MUST have a valid visa to remain in Russia while your application is being processed. Since my visa expires in May, 2008, I'll have to get another visa (probably will do homestay visa) for the remaining time. However, we were told that I could request an extension to my visa based on my pending residency application. If the decision maker is 'in a good mood', the request MAY be granted - obviously there are no guarantees.

Registration: I was told that having the spravka would allow me to extend my registration until the expiration date of my visa - no leaving and returning to re-register is necessary, regardless of the (previously) 180 day or (new) 90/180 day limits. Please note: THIS IS UNCONFIRMED! We are planning on visiting the registration officials next week to confirm this information, just to be sure.

Last words:

To everyone going through this process - no matter how much of a pain in the butt it may seem, or how sometimes it may seem hopeless, don't give up! It is possible and eventually it will happen, just ask those who have it, they'll tell ya. Yes, some blood, sweat, and tears may be expended, but in the end it will be worth it. :)

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck to you all!

P.S.
Thanks to everyone (you know who you are :)) who tirelessly provides needed info to those in need of it!

Bels
08-12-2007, 15:43
QUOTE VLADSKY: Registration: I was told that having the spravka would allow me to extend my registration until the expiration date of my visa - no leaving and returning to re-register is necessary, regardless of the (previously) 180 day or (new) 90/180 day limits. Please note: THIS IS UNCONFIRMED! We are planning on visiting the registration officials next week to confirm this information, just to be sure.

Good post and I back up most of the info. Having this particular spravka, I'm afraid my wife tried to extend my visa whilst staying in Russia. It was a NO GO! I'm afraid, hence I had to return to the UK in July 2007. That's the way it is I'm afraid. And I assume that applies to Americans also.

And yes, the staff at OVIR sound too optimistic with me, saying it might take 4 month, and the longer period would be 6 months . It took me 7 months.
Actually 8 months to have it inside my passport.

08-12-2007, 20:46
> Visa: You MUST have a valid visa to remain in Russia while your application is being processed.

Sorry, NO. You have NO obligation to stay in Russia during the +6 months of processing time. You must just be there to pickup your residence permit (a stamp in your passport), that is all. NO need to stay here before it is ready.

And about the delay, better you count 7 months, if you are in Moscow. FMS has A LOT OF requests from CIS (as usual) and Europe (because of the new ME visa rules), so be ready to wait 7 months... or more. Sorry for this but it is a fact.

Thanks everyone for your congrats! We definitely feel as if a burden has been lifted from our shoulders!

In answer to everyone's questions:

Property: My wife is the legal owner of our flat, so resident registration issues were non-existent for me. As I understand it, you may have a problem if the landlord refuses to cooperate since they'll have to provide a notarized copy of the deed as well as written consent allowing you to reside there.

Visa: I am currently here on a multi-entry business visa which expires May, 2008

Criminal record: I submitted my state (NJ) record, though I highly recommend obtaining an FBI record since this almost proved to be an issue for me. Also, your state's apostille may be unfamiliar to your FMS inspector, in which case it may be advisable to obtain a stamp from the Russian consulate which represents your state. I didn't need this BUT it (also) almost became an issue.

Other comments:

I was told approximately six months for the permit, but it was implied it may be sooner. A lot depends of the current work load of your FMS office and how quickly other offices respond to their requests. Queries are made to the tax authorities and police (FSB?) - obviously they have no control over how long those offices take to respond. Afterwards it is processed by the main (regional) FMS office, which could take 4 months.

Visa: You MUST have a valid visa to remain in Russia while your application is being processed. Since my visa expires in May, 2008, I'll have to get another visa (probably will do homestay visa) for the remaining time. However, we were told that I could request an extension to my visa based on my pending residency application. If the decision maker is 'in a good mood', the request MAY be granted - obviously there are no guarantees.

Registration: I was told that having the spravka would allow me to extend my registration until the expiration date of my visa - no leaving and returning to re-register is necessary, regardless of the (previously) 180 day or (new) 90/180 day limits. Please note: THIS IS UNCONFIRMED! We are planning on visiting the registration officials next week to confirm this information, just to be sure.

Last words:

To everyone going through this process - no matter how much of a pain in the butt it may seem, or how sometimes it may seem hopeless, don't give up! It is possible and eventually it will happen, just ask those who have it, they'll tell ya. Yes, some blood, sweat, and tears may be expended, but in the end it will be worth it. :)

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck to you all!

P.S.
Thanks to everyone (you know who you are :)) who tirelessly provides needed info to those in need of it!

08-12-2007, 20:47
Bels you are right,

4 months? LOL ! Even 6 currently is a miracle.

About spravka, I can ask if you want but it is a new thing as earlier no spravka was never delivered.

Bels
08-12-2007, 21:59
Spot on Guest :) Thanks for being direct, I was just a little softer :)

Sorry, but I had to go even though my wife tried very hard to get this extension. She pleaded we've got a family to take care of and we cant afford all these expenses, plus the the time and money to leave and return to the country again. All they could say was "I'm very sorry for you".

But that's the way it is I'm afraid.

VladSkywolf
09-12-2007, 02:54
> Visa: You MUST have a valid visa to remain in Russia while your application is being processed.

Sorry, NO. You have NO obligation to stay in Russia during the +6 months of processing time. You must just be there to pickup your residence permit (a stamp in your passport), that is all. NO need to stay here before it is ready.

Actually I meant if someone wanted to remain in Russia while waiting for their permit - in other words, having your application processed does not automatically grant you the right to stay in Russia (i.e., visa extension). Perhaps I should have written it as: "You MUST have a valid visa if you wish to remain in Russia while your application is being processed". :)

Bels
09-12-2007, 11:41
But I thought the same as you, vladsky, that you could have your visa extended whilst being in Russia. Because it's written somewhere.

However when this was requested to ovir, they somehow twisted this law, and stated it did not apply to all nationalities. And it did not apply to Brits, so I had to make my last visa trip :( And then started worrying about this 90 day thing when I returned. But :hooray: I got my residency just in time.

VladSkywolf
11-12-2007, 16:11
But I thought the same as you, vladsky, that you could have your visa extended whilst being in Russia. Because it's written somewhere.

However when this was requested to ovir, they somehow twisted this law, and stated it did not apply to all nationalities. And it did not apply to Brits, so I had to make my last visa trip :( And then started worrying about this 90 day thing when I returned. But :hooray: I got my residency just in time.

I seem to remember something about such extensions only being available to those originally from CIS countries.

In any case, I'm happy to hear it turned out well for you! Hope you had a memorable party. ;) :drink:

Bels
11-12-2007, 17:19
I seem to remember something about such extensions only being available to those originally from CIS countries.

In any case, I'm happy to hear it turned out well for you! Hope you had a memorable party. ;) :drink:

Thanks I had some champagne with the family, and our baby had some kvass to celibrate with us.

Yes I heard the same, but do CIS countries need a visa? They certainly now need to have residency to work legally. Yet we westerners will still need a work invitation. Isn't it so confusing, one law for one and not the other.

VladSkywolf
12-12-2007, 04:45
Thanks I had some champagne with the family, and our baby had some kvass to celibrate with us.

Yes I heard the same, but do CIS countries need a visa? They certainly now need to have residency to work legally. Yet we westerners will still need a work invitation. Isn't it so confusing, one law for one and not the other.

Yes, definitely confusing but I think the idea behind the different policy is this: since CIS countries are somewhat like 'relatives' (having previously been in the Soviet 'family') they make it easier for them because Russia is more anxious for Russian-speaking immigrants who can more easily integrate into Russian society - common language, somewhat common culture, etc. Quite honestly, looking at it from a Russian perspective, it does make sense to me despite the fact it doesn't apply to me. :)

Regarding CIS visa rules, I'm not sure. I know that some CIS countries don't require them, but some others might. :eh:

Bels
12-12-2007, 12:41
So how should Russians treat their original Russian spouses and young Russian children, when their other spouse has to keep going out at great expense and misery of separating each time. And wow! some of these true Russian families may suffer even more soon, with this 90 day out business.

I could have had a lot of washing machines :) but had to do without :(

tobias
25-01-2008, 12:23
After reading this thread and having a look around I'm still confused. After you successfully hand in all your documents and anketa and receive your spravka can you extend your registration until the end of your Visa? I have six months left on the Visa and the registration runs out soon.

Bels
25-01-2008, 12:34
I think there are two spravkas. Yes I saw that confusion.

You will hand in all your papers and application form. You will have to wait at least six months for a confirmation that your application has been successful. It is at this point you may stay in the country. Not when you have recently handed in your papers.

Yes I had to go back to Britain, because my visa ran out before confirmation. It's something we all have to put up with.

tobias
25-01-2008, 13:24
Bels, I think you're talking about having to leave if your Visa runs out in the initial six month waiting period. My Visa is fine for another six+ months but my registration runs out soon. I saw someone else posting about having their registration extended without leaving the country after receiving the initial spravka, and this is what I'm wondering about.

Bels
25-01-2008, 19:12
I might be out of date here, I only just missed out on this 90 day situation.

But whatever happens you visa and registration enforces you to leave during this 90 or 180 days situation you must leave. Try your OVIR, if they no it's no, if they say yes it's yes. I had to leave after six months on a years visa, although I and my family didn't want me to leave.

rusdaniil
25-01-2008, 19:25
I wonder how for how long is hte temp residency permit good? And it is easy to renew? Is it typically a 7 month process?

Bels
25-01-2008, 19:29
Three years and then go for permanent if you wish. They say six months, but appears to be taking longer now due to the increase in applications. My wait was just over seven months.

bluemidnight
30-01-2008, 19:17
Hope I haven't missed seeing this elsewhere - Do you need to be invited to Russia on a certain type of visa in order to apply for temporary residency?

I read somewhere that you must have a private invitation in order to apply for residency. I'm currently on a Business Visa - can I still apply? I've tried contacting the Russian Embassies in the US and the US embassy in Moscow, but can't seem to get a response from a real person.

Thank you!

Bels
30-01-2008, 19:37
The only authority that can officially answer your question is OVIR. Where you make your application for Residency, there is something mentioned that it's a personal invitation but business visa is what I had when I applied as it was much more convenient than going back to UK every three months to get it renewed.

So I say go ahead and make your application, and I'm sure many others also got their residency with a business visa.

bluemidnight
30-01-2008, 21:25
Thanks Bels.

I was hoping that would be the answer. I am just starting the process, so will end up having to go back to the US at least once, but business visas are so much easier to get. *sighs*

Thanks!