PDA

View Full Version : The safest district of Moscow ?

yuzkw
24-06-2013, 20:50
What is the safest district of Moscow, in terms of living ?
Also, how reliable are taxis in Moscow ? Because I am not used to taking the underground and since I have never been to Moscow before, I'd probably start off by using cabs.

tasel
25-06-2013, 10:41
I recommend south west part of Moscow. Gypsy cabs or fine, but if you loose your belongings, never expect to get it back with them. Official taxis or getting cheaper than before. In emergency use the metro and not the road transport (other than motorcycle).

Judge
25-06-2013, 10:43
All areas are safe, there's no such thing as no go areas in Moscow.If you look at the metro map, north/south red line is nice, green north up to Sokol and blue west are some decent places for living.
There are reliable taxi firms, search the site and some names will pop up..
The metro is a very safe place, easy to navigate and it's really your best option for getting around the city.... Try out the metro during the day, map in hand and have a good time exploring..

Check out some threads in this section...

http://expat.ru/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=144

and here
http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=498017

pompeygazza
25-06-2013, 10:49
I only lived in Moscow for six months and am not an expert but for what it's worth:

My understanding was that there were no 'safe' or 'dangerous' areas, ie no slum areas or ghettos, and that the immigrant population were evenly spread throughout the city. To me, the ticket offices in metro stations told the story in that they have glass screens (ok they could be bullet-proof) whereas in Buenos Aires they are covered with reinforced steel mesh. That, to me, is one of the hallmarks of a 'dangerous' city.

I never felt at risk in Moscow, although my students told me not to use off-street ways late at night, but that goes for any city. A lot depends on the type of person you are too: if you're the type who draws attention to yourself you're more likely to hit trouble than someone who blends in.

As for taxis, I hardly used them, but remember that there are many unregulated taxis in Moscow, which are in fact very popular with locals but perhaps foreigners should take a little more care. But why not try the metro system? OK it takes a little getting used to, but it's the quickest way of getting around for sure. Taxis can get mired in traffic just like any other car (ie as far as I know there are no dedicated taxi/bus lanes) and traffic congestion is a major problem in Moscow.

Hope that helps!

yuzkw
26-06-2013, 17:42
I only lived in Moscow for six months and am not an expert but for what it's worth:

My understanding was that there were no 'safe' or 'dangerous' areas, ie no slum areas or ghettos, and that the immigrant population were evenly spread throughout the city. To me, the ticket offices in metro stations told the story in that they have glass screens (ok they could be bullet-proof) whereas in Buenos Aires they are covered with reinforced steel mesh. That, to me, is one of the hallmarks of a 'dangerous' city.

I never felt at risk in Moscow, although my students told me not to use off-street ways late at night, but that goes for any city. A lot depends on the type of person you are too: if you're the type who draws attention to yourself you're more likely to hit trouble than someone who blends in.

As for taxis, I hardly used them, but remember that there are many unregulated taxis in Moscow, which are in fact very popular with locals but perhaps foreigners should take a little more care. But why not try the metro system? OK it takes a little getting used to, but it's the quickest way of getting around for sure. Taxis can get mired in traffic just like any other car (ie as far as I know there are no dedicated taxi/bus lanes) and traffic congestion is a major problem in Moscow.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for your help!!

SvetlanaB
30-06-2013, 18:45
Unlike a city such as NYC, there isn't a section in Moscow that has a certain reputation as a spot you want to avoid. But that doesn't mean it's safe anywhere you go, either. Still, Moscow is relatively safe provided you use common-sense.

Adding to what others have said, try not to walk around late at night alone when few people are around, avoid the Metro at night or after football matches, don't act suspicious, etc.

SvetlanaB

Benedikt
30-06-2013, 22:24
What is the safest district of Moscow, in terms of living ?
Also, how reliable are taxis in Moscow ? Because I am not used to taking the underground and since I have never been to Moscow before, I'd probably start off by using cabs.

never ahve been attacker, robbed, threatened or felt unsafe. i work mostly late night (hospitality industry) and is more often than not the last bus/tram/metro. and a shortish walk home.
we live in Strogino, in the NW of Moscow, to me the best place in town. But i also have worked a lot out of Moscow, even there i never felt unsafe.
Taxis? as we are used to them in the -West- do not exist in Moscow. there is again an effort to make legal taxis but we will see. therefore i do not use -Taxis-. i stick my hand out and tell the driver where to go.. ( i do speak russian though, know the price what to pay and also the route where to go).
and when in Moscow i use only public transport and more often than not this is the Metro.
In my opinion Moscow is as safe (or unsafe) as any big City in the world. And if -you- blend in with the -locals- nothing will happen. Never mind that -we- foreigners stick out a mile against the wind. But don't flash a wad of money, show off you gold Rolex (fake from Thailand anyway),complain about all and sundry and find that back home everything is better and Russia is only Tundra,Taiga, Vodka and corruption. And all that in a loud voice. For sure will not endear a person here.

By the way, when i was in NY, i was told by the hotel doorman, i wanted to walk through Central Park, not to leave the wide and central roads after 5 in the afternoon.
Never happened to me here in Gorky Park.
Forget about any real or imaginative worries, just come here and enjoy. And when in Rome do as the Romans do. Still fits in here as well.

natasobo
04-07-2013, 15:00
gypsy cabs could be pretty unsafe for an expat, especially if you are a bit drunk :: some of my former colleagues (from the UK mainly) were robbed and, sometimes, beaten by the drivers. so if you prefer taxi better use 'official' cab services, which in fact are only a bit more expensive.

re the districts, i would agree with most of the answers here: no particular areas are safe / unsafe, but generally inside the Golden Ring or maybe even the so called Third Ring is usually the safest.

PunainenAurinko
04-07-2013, 20:28
In terms of your second question about taxies: they are very reliable in Moscow if you use Yandex Taxi app (available for iOs or Android). That is all I have been using in the past year to get to work/airport and it has never failed. They can send the taxi to your door within ten minutes. There are various price options to choose from also when you are ordering.

They all have GPS installed and take the route with less traffic. The option is very safe for expats.

TatyanaGlebova
11-07-2013, 17:06
Novie Cheremushki
taxis are very expensive

inorcist
11-07-2013, 17:38
taxis are very expensive
I'd say this has changed in the last 12 months after the city started to focus on the issue a bit more.

Regular taxi rides are now almost down to gipsy cab prices.

celia
11-07-2013, 18:30
Pompeygazza, have you left Moscow (your posts here are in the past tense) - where have you ended up?

rflong58
11-07-2013, 22:04
I'm not sure where the people who have responded to you are living, but if you ask the younger generation, they will tell you that the East of Moscow is the place that they will not venture to go - especially around the train station there.

As for taxis - just be smart. Never get in a taxi alone, if you can help it. Never get in a taxi with more than one person in the car. Be sure that your driver understands where you are going and, more importantly, that you understand where you are going. Beyond this, Moscow is as safe as any other city. Good luck!