PDA

View Full Version : Ye olde Cyprus potty poop

robertmf
23-06-2013, 22:46
The medieval crusaders may be long gone, but some of them left behind something a bit personal. In a ruined castle in Cyprus, researchers discovered a latrine that still contained the fecal parasites of the European invaders.

After King Richard I of England invaded Cyprus in 1191, he ordered the castle Saranda Kolones built on the island's Western corner. The castle was destroyed 30 years later in an Earthquake, and by then King Richard had sold control of the island to Guy de Lusignan, king of the crusader state of Jerusalem. Saranda Kolones was never rebuilt, meaning that the only people who pooped there were Richard's crusaders.

Cyprus latrines from the Crusades (http://io9.com/12th-century-latrine-still-holds-parasites-from-the-cru-548165693)

:alien:

Potty
23-06-2013, 23:14
If you want to know about Cyprus go to the MET. I don't know how you did it but you greedily grabbed all significant Cypriot historical items.

robertmf
23-06-2013, 23:18
If you want to know about Cyprus go to the MET. I don't know how you did it but you greedily grabbed all significant Cypriot historical items.

LOL The Brits must have given that older than dirt stuff (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hi/hi_greekrom7.htm) to us :question:

Potty
23-06-2013, 23:25
LOL The Brits must have given that older than dirt stuff (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hi/hi_greekrom7.htm) to us :question:

do you think an average american knows what/where Cyprus is?

robertmf
24-06-2013, 00:41

No. At best it is confused with Crete, Malta and Australia.

:farout:

Potty
24-06-2013, 00:51
No. At best it is confused with Crete, Malta and Australia.

:farout:

Half of my non Russian friends think I live in Malta :D some friends (including russians) think cyprus is a part of Greece.

xSnoofovich
24-06-2013, 01:11

do you think the average russian does?

Potty
24-06-2013, 01:15
do you think the average russian does?

I suppose.

robertmf
24-06-2013, 01:17
I suppose.

Did *you* know where Cyprus was before you moved there, eh :question:

Potty
24-06-2013, 01:23
Did *you* know where Cyprus was before you moved there, eh :question:

Are you kidding me.

robertmf
24-06-2013, 01:49
Are you kidding me.

:trooper: Just answer the question :bong:

Potty
24-06-2013, 02:05
:trooper: Just answer the question :bong:

Unlike Americans (I've heard 70% of them don't even have a passport and don't go abroad ) Russians do travel.

robertmf
24-06-2013, 02:12
Russians do travel.

:verycool: Only in the past few years :nono:

Potty
24-06-2013, 02:21
:verycool: Only in the past few years :nono:

I don't know what "few years" is for you. :alien:

robertmf
24-06-2013, 02:27
I don't know what "few years" is for you. :alien:

;) :whisper: Не так давно compared to Westerners' travel.

BabyFirefly
24-06-2013, 03:53
Unlike Americans (I've heard 70% of them don't even have a passport and don't go abroad ) Russians do travel.

To Europe. I can count with one hand the number of Russians I met who could name tiny countries in Latin America. In fact one of the first uncommon things I ever learned to say in Russia was an explanation, geographically, of a couple of Caribbean islands.

Jack17
24-06-2013, 04:42
Yes, it's east of the US Naval base in Sigonella Sicily and the US Naval base in Souda Bay Crete. Remember Potty, no matter where you are in the world, you're never far from a US military facility.

Potty
24-06-2013, 06:38
To Europe. I can count with one hand the number of Russians I met who could name tiny countries in Latin America.
And Americans?
Well, I think hardly you can find an American who can say anything about CIS countries. Maybe only "strange erotic journey from Milan to Minsk" :D

Remember Potty, no matter where you are in the world, you're never far from a US military facility.

I know. And very happy about that ;)

robertmf
24-06-2013, 07:21
And Americans?
Well, I think hardly you can find an American who can say anything about CIS countries. Maybe only "strange erotic journey from Milan to Minsk" :D

Milan, Minsk, Schminsk. They are all Pussies & Commies.

natlee
24-06-2013, 09:04
To Europe. I can count with one hand the number of Russians I met who could name tiny countries in Latin America. In fact one of the first uncommon things I ever learned to say in Russia was an explanation, geographically, of a couple of Caribbean islands. At the age of 15, sunbathing on a Jamaican beach, I got to chatting to a local working at the hotel (well, he wouldn't leave me alone so I had little choice :D) Anyway, the usual stuff, you're so beautiful blah blah blah where are you from? He didn't know what/where Russia was! :D

Alan65
24-06-2013, 10:11
To Europe. I can count with one hand the number of Russians I met who could name tiny countries in Latin America. In fact one of the first uncommon things I ever learned to say in Russia was an explanation, geographically, of a couple of Caribbean islands.

Thank your lucky stars they do not know places in Latin America or Carribean Islands, as soon as they start going there they will be like cane toads and the place will be ruined.

For some reason they have a habit of putting the kiss of death on any place that they visit.

xSnoofovich
24-06-2013, 10:17

Wow. Just wow.

Can anyone spell P-R-E-T-E-N-T-I-O-U-S ??????????

natlee
24-06-2013, 10:30
One of my closest American friends spells Cyprus as Cypress, despite knowing full well (I hope!!) I wasn't living in Southern California for 1.5 years! :) Originally thought he was being funny, but nah. I kept writing to him about life in CYPRUS and being asked what life in CYPRESS was like :rolleyes:

natlee
24-06-2013, 10:33
Thank your lucky stars they do not know places in Latin America or Carribean Islands, as soon as they start going there they will be like cane toads and the place will be ruined.

For some reason they have a habit of putting the kiss of death on any place that they visit. I was going to agree till I got to... :D Ouch, plain ouch! ;)

natlee
24-06-2013, 10:35
To Europe. Some of us can't stand long flights. Or geography :shame: (I had a crappy teacher, may she rest in peace :o)

Alan65
24-06-2013, 10:47
I was going to agree till I got to... :D Ouch, plain ouch! ;)

Ha ha.....often at work I get people come up to me and saying "I was looking on tripadvisor over the weekend at a resort in ABC etc....there were lots of negative comments about Russians, what is all this about"?

to which I respond "Well, its ;like this ............." :D

TolkoRaz
24-06-2013, 11:28
Remember Potty, no matter where you are in the world, you're never far from a US military facility.

If I recall correctly, the British Military are actually stationed on the south of the Island at Dhekalia and in Episkopi?

natlee
24-06-2013, 11:44
Ha ha.....often at work I get people come up to me and saying "I was looking on tripadvisor over the weekend at a resort in ABC etc....there were lots of negative comments about Russians, what is all this about"?

to which I respond "Well, its ;like this ............." :D My 'favorite' Russian tourists are those who speak Russian to the waitstaff etc. knowing full well people don't understand a word. In a little shop in Saint-Paul, a middle-aged Russian lady was asking for a calendar, Ну календарь, не понимаешь? Январь, февраль, март! :eek: :D

penka
24-06-2013, 13:00
My 'favorite' Russian tourists are those who speak Russian to the waitstaff etc. knowing full well people don't understand a word. In a little shop in Saint-Paul, a middle-aged Russian lady was asking for a calendar, Ну календарь, не понимаешь? Январь, февраль, март! :eek: :D

Hmm, maybe some people don't speak English or are embarrassed to speak as they don't master it any good...

natlee
24-06-2013, 13:05
Hmm, maybe some people don't speak English or are embarrassed to speak as they don't master it any good... Yeah, and :confused:

mrzuzzo
24-06-2013, 13:11
One of my closest American friends spells Cyprus as Cypress, despite knowing full well (I hope!!) I wasn't living in Southern California for 1.5 years! :) Originally thought he was being funny, but nah. I kept writing to him about life in CYPRUS and being asked what life in CYPRESS was like :rolleyes:

Cypress is actually a neighborhood in LA, so I'm not surprised that Americans would write it like that.

natlee
24-06-2013, 13:17
Cypress is actually a neighborhood in LA, so I'm not surprised that Americans would write it like that. I'm talking about writing to him, so, Cyprus is great and sunny and fun, and him responding, right under, oh so Cypress is great and sunny and fun? ;) And yeah, I know - hence the mention of Southern California :)

mrzuzzo
24-06-2013, 13:18
I'm talking about writing to him, so, Cyprus is great and sunny and fun, and him responding, right under, oh so Cypress is great and sunny and fun? ;)

Americans... typical...

PeteD
24-06-2013, 13:21
I'm talking about writing to him, so, Cyprus is great and sunny and fun, and him responding, right under, oh so Cypress is great and sunny and fun? ;) And yeah, I know - hence the mention of Southern California :)

Natlee, did you get bored with bashing the Brits?

Now you're bashing the Yanks because they can't spell???? even when the correct spelling was presented, in the preceding statement / question? Are you trying to say that they have the attention span of a goldfish?

Which nationality next, I wonder!

;)

natlee
24-06-2013, 13:22
Americans... typical... :ignore: ;)

natlee
24-06-2013, 13:24
Natlee, did you get bored with bashing the Brits?

Now you're bashing the Yanks because they can't spell???? even when the correct spelling was presented, in the preceding statement / question? Are you trying to say that they have the attention span of a goldfish?

Which nationality next, I wonder!

;) I was just taking part in the discussion :shame: (And I was 'bashing' just the one, and only for thinking he knew better than I when let's face it, no one knows better than I! ;))

Alan65
24-06-2013, 13:42
My 'favorite' Russian tourists are those who speak Russian to the waitstaff etc. knowing full well people don't understand a word. In a little shop in Saint-Paul, a middle-aged Russian lady was asking for a calendar, Ну календарь, не понимаешь? Январь, февраль, март! :eek: :D

Whenever we go somewhere, if there are people that appear to be Russians kicking it off, being leary etc, my girlfriend always says they are Ukrainians :D

natlee
24-06-2013, 13:43
Whenever we go somewhere, if there are people that appear to be Russians kicking it off, being leary etc, my girlfriend always says they are Ukrainians :D :D Good one!!

PeteD
24-06-2013, 13:52
Whenever we go somewhere, if there are people that appear to be Russians kicking it off, being leary etc, my girlfriend always says they are Ukrainians :D

I'm going there this weekend - they've always seemed very friendly to me! ;)

natlee
24-06-2013, 13:58
I'm going there this weekend - they've always seemed very friendly to me! ;) Expat men rarely travel to Ukraine for the friendly.. peeps :shame:

PeteD
24-06-2013, 14:04
Expat men rarely travel to Ukraine for the friendly.. peeps :shame:

I wouldn't know!

I'm going on a run, with a couple of other expats, because the bike needs to cross a border!

:D

penka
24-06-2013, 14:41
Yeah, and :confused:

Well, are they supposed to learn the sign language or quit travelling? If their are coming en masse and leave nice piles of bucks, I'd say the locals better learn some Russian;):11629:

natlee
24-06-2013, 14:54
Well, are they supposed to learn the sign language or quit travelling? If their are coming en masse and leave nice piles of bucks, I'd say the locals better learn some Russian;):11629: Aha, so you're one of those, then ;) I can just picture you screaming at the waitstaff demanding a королевская креветка or two! :p

If you ask me, they aren't supposed to demand things in Russian when in a foreign country, and I don't believe I know any decent people who (these days) don't speak 5 words of English, at least, or at the very least don't travel with a разговорник :) Personaly, when in a shop without any knowledge of either English or French (if we're in Saint-Paul still :)) I'd either find a календарь on my own or "bugger off" :)

Alan65
24-06-2013, 15:41
Well, are they supposed to learn the sign language or quit travelling? If their are coming en masse and leave nice piles of bucks, I'd say the locals better learn some Russian;):11629:

Lets face it Potty, when most Russians travel, all they really need to know are vodka, gin, whisky and vino, pretty much international words :D

or are these Ukrainians :D

PeteD
24-06-2013, 15:48
Lets face it Potty, when most Russians travel, all they really need to know are vodka, gin, whisky and vino, pretty much international words :D

or are these Ukrainians :D

"Potty"??????

Alan, a gentleman NEVER gets a lady's name wrong!

Alan65
24-06-2013, 15:52
"Potty"??????

Alan, a gentleman NEVER gets a lady's name wrong!

:D ....suppose that says a lot about me :D

xSnoofovich
24-06-2013, 16:32
Yanks ........ have the attention span of a goldfish?

I would say something smartass.......but oh look ! a sandwhich !

TolkoRaz
24-06-2013, 16:40
I have been told that American TV shows annoyingly break every 5 or 10 minutes, not because of advertisements & commercials, but because of the challenged memory & attention span of the domesticated citizen of the US of A.

Not sure if its true though? :confused:

TolkoRaz
24-06-2013, 16:41
I would say something smartass.......but oh look ! a sandwhich !

Snoofy, Who are you calling a sandwich or, rather a sandwhich? :p

Alan65
24-06-2013, 17:08
I have been told that American TV shows annoyingly break every 5 or 10 minutes, not because of advertisements & commercials, but because of the challenged memory & attention span of the domesticated citizen of the US of A.

I thought it was because they needed to eat another burger or pizza :D

xSnoofovich
24-06-2013, 17:42
Snoofy, Who are you calling a sandwich or, rather a sandwhich? :p

hey !!!!!!!!!

i can spel it however i wants.....

xSnoofovich
24-06-2013, 17:57
http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2013/05/28/98qd867n0c.jpg

penka
24-06-2013, 19:00
Aha, so you're one of those, then ;) I can just picture you screaming at the waitstaff demanding a королевская креветка or two! :p

If you ask me, they aren't supposed to demand things in Russian when in a foreign country, and I don't believe I know any decent people who (these days) don't speak 5 words of English, at least, or at the very least don't travel with a разговорник :) Personaly, when in a shop without any knowledge of either English or French (if we're in Saint-Paul still :)) I'd either find a календарь on my own or "bugger off" :)

Yep, I must be one of those. Luckily, I carry an AK 47 with me - makes people understand my basic Russian:D

I HATE shopping. Shop assistants exist to ease and speed this painful process. Hence I always ask somebody to help me.

But, if one goes to an all-inclusive place, one gets what one bargains for. I steer clear from those, stay at the decent hotel or rent a place instead.

PeteD
24-06-2013, 19:03
Yep, I must be one of those. Luckily, I carry an AK 47 with me - makes people understand my basic Russian:D

I HATE shopping. Shop assistants exist to ease and speed this painful process. Hence I always ask somebody to help me.

But, if one goes to an all-inclusive place, one gets what one bargains for. I steer clear from those, stay at the decent hotel or rent a place instead.

Penka, your English is good enough to have an advanced conversation!!!

Besides, I didn't see your AK47! ;)

robertmf
24-06-2013, 19:14

:cussing: When *Penka* sees that *Potty* added 6 years to her age, she'll find the AK47 :ninja:

:9456:

penka
24-06-2013, 19:44

I use google translate, Pete.

Of course, you haven't seen it - I got no licence - don't want to flash it, as you understand.

PeteD
24-06-2013, 19:45
Is it me?????

Robert?

natlee
24-06-2013, 19:46
:cussing: When *Penka* sees that *Potty* added 6 years to her age, she'll find the AK47 :ninja:

:9456: Wasn't it RL :confused:

penka
24-06-2013, 19:46

:9456:

I don't make a secret of my age. 6 more years - and I'll be having a jumbo midlife party, yay!!:-)

natlee
24-06-2013, 19:48
I don't make a secret of my age. 6 more years - and I'll be having a jumbo midlife party, yay!!:-) How the heck did Robert know how old you are though? :eek:

And I envy you - I'm quite (age) sensitive ;)

penka
24-06-2013, 19:49
Is it me?????

Robert?

SORRY - you're getting an illusion here:-) Proven by your opinion on my English:-)):kiss_mini:

penka
24-06-2013, 19:52
How the heck did Robert know how old you are though? :eek:

Why are you sensitive???? One's true age is in one's brain and agility:-))

PeteD
24-06-2013, 19:55
SORRY - you're getting an illusion here:-) Proven by your opinion on my English:-)):kiss_mini:

so....

We've got Alan calling Penka Potty....

Penka calling me Robert....

Robert accusing Potty of RL's quotes.....

Is it something in the air?

and, Penka, you didn't use Google translate when we met! :neiner:

PeteD
24-06-2013, 19:56

no, you're just old! ;)

natlee
24-06-2013, 20:03
no, you're just old! ;) That's why, penka!!! (Even middle aged bikers are finding me OLD! :eek:)

PeteD
24-06-2013, 20:04
That's why, penka!!! (Even middle aged bikers are finding me OLD! :eek:)

:D :D

penka
24-06-2013, 20:05
so....

I WAS DESCREET!!!!

Jack17
24-06-2013, 20:21

Are you speaking of the country with 3 x the Nobel Laureates of any other?

Alan65
24-06-2013, 21:02
so....

Its a full moon today and that is my excuse :D

Matt24
24-06-2013, 21:27
Are you speaking of the country with 3 x the Nobel Laureates of any other?

Well not really, I think what the Nobel stats show is the massive superiority of American institutes of higher and further education throughout the last century but especially after the second world war, American laureates in American institutions (253) are very much the biggest single grouping of prize winners - but only 2x's the nearest competitor, 85 'American' Nobel prizes were won by foreigners teaching in the US ( an Australian, 5 Austrians, 11 Canadians, 5 Chinese, an Egyptian, 3 Frenchmen, 12 Germans, 4 Hungarians, an Israeli, 7 Italians, 3 Japanese, 1 South Korean, 3 Lithuanians, a Mexican and a Kiwi, 2 Dutchmen, 2 Norwegians, a Pakistani, 4 Poles, 2 Romanians, 4 Russians, 2 South Africans, a Spaniard a Swiss and a Taiwanese, 4 Brits, 2 Ukrainians and a Venezuelan), which gives a big knock to the per caps figures dividing prizes by population the US comes in about 23rd 24th in the world - which puts you guys in the top 10 percent of brainiest countries but not at the top.

robertmf
24-06-2013, 21:31
Its a full moon today and that is my excuse :D

You missed the biggest moon of the year by 1 day ;)

TolkoRaz
24-06-2013, 21:36
Yes, the Supermoon was 14% bigger and 30% brighter! :)

It was awesome! :celebrate:

Alan65
24-06-2013, 21:47
Yes, the Supermoon was 14% bigger and 30% brighter! :)

It was awesome! :celebrate:

I thought that was ****** arse :D

robertmf
24-06-2013, 22:00
I thought that was ****** arse :D

Not at all (http://earthsky.org/tonight/is-biggest-and-closest-full-moon-on-june-23-2013-a-supermoon) :sunny:

There are plenty of re-run videos & photos. The one I like is [attachment] taken over the French Alps.

penka
24-06-2013, 22:04
Not at all (http://earthsky.org/tonight/is-biggest-and-closest-full-moon-on-june-23-2013-a-supermoon) :sunny:

There are plenty of re-run videos & photos. The one I like is [attachment] taken over the French Alps.

Damn, it's a beautiful pic! Thanks, Robert!

robertmf
24-06-2013, 22:06

Here's a recap of the supermoon (http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/24/19117473-look-back-at-the-supermoon-and-look-forward-to-future-sky-wonders) "event"

Alan65
24-06-2013, 22:16

The super moon in the Dacha :D

natlee
24-06-2013, 22:23
The super moon in the Dacha :D Your harem? ;)

robertmf
24-06-2013, 23:46
Your harem? ;)

Looks like Whale Beach to me :evilgrin:

Alan65
25-06-2013, 00:28
Your harem? ;)

Nothing to do with me....just a photo that was sent :D

xSnoofovich
25-06-2013, 01:08
The super moon in the Dacha :D

i am a little confused.........