PDA

View Full Version : GrassFed Beef, Pastured Pork, Free Range Chicken

nissenpa
11-06-2013, 11:14
Is there a place where I can get chicken that isn't fed corn? The prices at LavkaLavka are outrageous and I don't even know what the stuff is fed. Also, any place to get grass fed beef or pastured pork products?

Anyone know a farmer?

Benedikt
11-06-2013, 12:13
Is there a place where I can get chicken that isn't fed corn? The prices at LavkaLavka are outrageous and I don't even know what the stuff is fed. Also, any place to get grass fed beef or pastured pork products?

Anyone know a farmer?

at Tulskaya ( Metro with the same name, gray line),Tushino Kolchosnaya Rynok ( Metro with the same name, purple line) and ask and look around. if your russian is good, you will score, if not, take a local with you. no one speaks english there....
-free range chickens- if you see the scrawny little things that are being sold by a granny, it for sure was scratching around in the dirt behind the house. feeding chickens corn per se is nothing wrong, they are after all grain eaters, it is just all the gen manipulated stuff that is bad.
what you also can do. take a cooler bag/box with you. take the-any Metro to the last stop. any bus that takes you out into the country. and there on Thursday/fridays you can get -local- meat. but forget about prime or choice beef and the like. and the pigs will have at least 5-7 cam fat on their chops...
good luck...
do you have time ( 2 days) and my question is no joke. Again, take a big cooler box and come to LIPETSK. there is a huge central market there. Only local beef, free range chickens/ducks/geese/turkeys on several stalls. and local pork.the market works without refrigeration, meaning meat is spread out on tiled counters and has to be sold quickly. ( cold) storage overnight in the basement of the market is expensive, so if you buy a lot, haggle a little bit, you get a good price. plus the bus ticket, 10 x a day up to midnight... 850 rubles one way, comfortable Setra/Mercedes busses.

Why Lipetsk? i work there.. ( though not buy at the market. hotel policy forbids, not because it is bad or not good, but the cuts that we need are just not there. no tenderloin, no strip,no sirloin)

Bogatyr
13-06-2013, 18:52

Anyone know a farmer?

In Russia it pretty much is all that (good) way by default, the western insanity of the factory farm hasn't taken over here yet, and hopefully never will.

nissenpa
18-06-2013, 10:30
Thank you Benedikt. I will grab my husband and we will head to these markets.

Bogatyr--I disagree somewhat. Factory produced meat is all over here. Even some of the local farm deliveries I use, while they don't keep the animals cooped up and the meat is fresher, the animals are still fed lots of grain. And unfortunately the big buzz words for meat now are "American grain fed" or "Austrailian Grain fed"---as if that were a good thing. It is disappointing to see these western practices catching on all over the world.