PDA

View Full Version : Police checks for UK nationals query

kebab
03-12-2007, 20:50
I have recently bought a flat in Moscow and am now looking at organizing my temporary residency permit and have a number of questions:

1 - What is the check required for immigration purposes? I presume it is the following link but confirmation from someone who has already done it would help
This is the link I have seen PNLD FAQ Alphabetical List - (http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q542.htm) -

2- Do you apply to the force where you lived when you were a UK resident or Scotland Yard? I can't seen to find a phone number to contact the police myself.

3-If you never get anything sent to your address in Russia how can you provide an address?

4- I take it you send the document to be apostiled to the FCO?

Any other information would be really helpful.

PNLD FAQ Alphabetical List - (http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q542.htm)
The police can make checks of what is held on their computer systems about individuals and it is known as a subject access request. This is not a criminal records check. The police check will either provide a certificate stating that there is currently no information held about you on the police computer systems or it will provide a list of convictions.

There are three possible ways of obtaining the form. You can write/telephone the force involved and they will post one out to you, if you are outside the UK you can ask a friend or relative to collect one from the local police station in the force area concerned or some forces may have the form on their website that you can download.

By law these checks have to be done in a maximum of 40 days. The cost of one of these types of checks varies from Police Force Area to Area, but is usually around 10.

The fee needs to be paid in sterling so if you do not have an English bank account you would need to ask a friend or relative to pay the fee for you. They would need to send in a cheque with your details to the relevant police force so that the form and the fee can be matched. If you do not have a relative or friend in the UK then you can ask your local bank about an International Money Order (there will probably be a fee) but do not send cash.

You must complete the form yourself as it is your data (unless a child). In order to complete the form you need to provide two forms of identification, one with your name and date of birth and preferably a photograph (passport or driving licence) and the other with your current address or the address you lived at whilst in the UK (a recent utility bill or bank statement). Photocopies are accepted by some forces but not all (check prior to sending) and they must be of a good quality . If there is any suspicion of forgery then the check will not be carried out and the form will be posted back to you.

The form can be sent to your address abroad and it does not cost extra. It is advisable but not obligatory to send the form to the police force whose area you resided in in the UK.

Bels
03-12-2007, 22:07
Yes! we all call it police check for simplicity. But all nationalities have different names.

Yes in regards to Britain it's called a subject access form. Yes, if you can't pay yourself from Russia, you may well need a relative to help you with payment.

Yes! you need an address that they are assured that they are sending it you. For your own protection under the data protection act.

And yes :) you have to post it back again to another authority of foreign affairs to get it apostiled and get it returned to Russia.

And yes! you then have to have it translated. Been there :) done it. What a pain in the ass. And what a joke about this data protection act protecting us.

Yes, it must be the contact of the local police authority of wher you resided, and the list is there on the website. I've provided the addresses here many times , and we still have questions.

Perhaps it's time to get a sticky of contacts for Brits and all nationalities of such addresses required for residency.

Bels
03-12-2007, 22:36
Good post,Kebab! Welldone! That's exactly the way it is and how I've experienced it. I've made similar but not with such detail.

It's you you and many others members on expat.ru here that make this forum the only and the best for Red tape info in Russia, particularily Moscow.

Keep it up please, all of you because us members are the best. There is no one else. The info here is fantastic and yes sometimes confusing with discussion. But we get the truth in the end.It's great!. Keep going.

Now let's go for this sticky with all contacts for the majority of nationalities interested in going for residency. They are already here, but splattered all over different threads. Please don't let me do it myself, I've got enough to do for the moment. Bring all the addresses here as a group on this thread, and then we'l copy and paste them like a directory onta a sticky. What do you think.

Keep supporting here all you experinced expats and let's make this forum the undisputable informative site for expats in Russia. What else can I ask. Please do it!

kebab
04-12-2007, 09:12
Thanks for the quick reply, my main problem is an address here as I have no utility bills or any proof of address. I want to have it sent to a friends as my flat is being remonted at mo. I suppose I could provide a translation of something in Russian and put any address I want in Russia.
Cheers

Bels
04-12-2007, 11:07
Try making any enquiries you like, From Russian lessons to having a dacha built, or buying, or requesting a service where you will get a bill or receipt posted to you. If you are using an agent for visas or invitations or anything in the near future have everthing posted to this address.

Larry Paradine
21-02-2008, 13:44
As far as I can make out from scanning through the posts, nobody has asked this question, so here goes: will a letter sent to me from Britain with the address written in Russian but transliterated into the English alphabet suffice as proof of address without needing to be actually translated into English (eg "ulitsa" into street, "kvatrira" into flat)? And may I ask for clarification on another point: in the PNLD FAQ Alphabetical list extract quoted by "kebab", is the word "or" between "current address" and "address you lived at while in the UK" a misprint for "and"?

Another question: I got as far as phoning the CRO in London two years ago for info, and was told over the phone that a photocopy of my passport would not be acceptable, I'd have to post the original or take it into the office myself. The former option is unthinkable, the latter entails the expense and disruption of a trip back to the UK, something I've only undertaken once in the last decade (and then only to get a new passport). I was so disheartened that I let the matter drop and resigned myself to an indefinite future of visa runs, but have since read reports that suggest the official misinformed me or that the rules have been changed. Perhaps a British expat who's been through the procedure in the past twelve months can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for any informative replies.

Bels
02-03-2008, 18:25
First of all the letters, any letters sent to you with envelopes of the address are acceptable. I think it's best to provide the police with the address that's translated in English alphabet, so that they can cope with, altrnatively a self addressed envelope of the address of where you desire to receive the police check. They are aware of the complications, all they are concerned is that you will be the one that receives your police check.

A photo copy of your passport is acceptable, and it's what I sent. No way would I send my original passport.

Don't forget once you receive your police check, to send it back again to be appostiled.

As far as I can make out from scanning through the posts, nobody has asked this question, so here goes: will a letter sent to me from Britain with the address written in Russian but transliterated into the English alphabet suffice as proof of address without needing to be actually translated into English (eg "ulitsa" into street, "kvatrira" into flat)? And may I ask for clarification on another point: in the PNLD FAQ Alphabetical list extract quoted by "kebab", is the word "or" between "current address" and "address you lived at while in the UK" a misprint for "and"?

Another question: I got as far as phoning the CRO in London two years ago for info, and was told over the phone that a photocopy of my passport would not be acceptable, I'd have to post the original or take it into the office myself. The former option is unthinkable, the latter entails the expense and disruption of a trip back to the UK, something I've only undertaken once in the last decade (and then only to get a new passport). I was so disheartened that I let the matter drop and resigned myself to an indefinite future of visa runs, but have since read reports that suggest the official misinformed me or that the rules have been changed. Perhaps a British expat who's been through the procedure in the past twelve months can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for any informative replies.