PDA

View Full Version : What's cukoo?

Anastasia
28-01-2004, 22:46
Can anyone tell me what's cukoo?

earl
29-01-2004, 00:22
A misspelling of either cuckoo or cuckold; it's probably the former.

-earl-

polly
29-01-2004, 05:29
i thought it was cuckhold? ok dictionary check....
nope, you are right. no 'h'
and anastasia, if you were looking for the meaning of "cuckoo," it refers to the cuckoo bird and it is more commonly used to describe someone u kotorogo krysha poekhala. "He's cuckoo" = he's nuts (crazy)

J.D.
29-01-2004, 09:24
I thought cukoo was the Russian variant of peek-a-boo.

Poika
29-01-2004, 10:45
..."kookooshka", a Finnish slang for a girl

Limitchik
29-01-2004, 11:40
Originally posted by Anastasia
Can anyone tell me what's cukoo?

Nastia,

Look ! A working example. Poika is Cuckoo.

Regards,
Limitchik

kak
29-01-2004, 11:58
"it must be a fox coz a cukoo lives in a clock".... my english is to bad, but maybe someone will understand that ;)

kak
29-01-2004, 12:38
do you have a kind of bird named like this in english vocabulary?
we have a "coucou" bird in french who sings "coucou"...maybe smth similar???

earl
29-01-2004, 13:10
The noun Cuckoo does refer to a bird; it's also American slang (and the more common usage) used to refer to someone who isn't quite all there. It's also used to refer to a specific type of clock -- a cuckoo clock clasically has a mechanical bird pop out of an enclosure to annouce the hour with a rhythmic sound that sounds like, well, cuckoo -- an onomatopoeia if you will.

-earl-

Anastasia
29-01-2004, 13:40
Ok, thanks i got it. If I understand right, it's a crazy girl! Terrible.:D

Anastasia

Braders
29-01-2004, 22:53
Moscow expat dictionary clearly states: 'an expat who has lived here more than 3 weeks' ;)

Racing Post
01-02-2004, 00:14
A cuckoo is a bird. It lays its eggs in other birds nests, leaving its offspring to be bought up by others. Hence the saying : 'cuckoo in the nest' meaning 'outsider' or 'someone who is not welcome' or more accurately 'someone who does'nt belong.'

DaveUKagain
01-02-2004, 01:55
I thought it was кукушка in Russian ?? Could be wrong... I probably am. ;-))))

Ignia
01-02-2004, 02:54
It IS кукушка in Russian Dave :)

DaveUKagain
01-02-2004, 03:04
Hurrah !! ;-) Thank you Ignia... ;)

Actually I used to get it confused with пупучык but - less said about that, the better. ;)

A friend of my brothers` - German (the two not being mutually incompatible) unfortunately had to go to hospital once after smoking far too many interesting substances and going NuTs. ;) So my brother goes to see him, makes sure he`s OK when he gets out - his friend goes back to Germany for a while and comes back with a present for my brother and helping him through a difficult time when he was absolutely barking mad......

"A typical German present, made in my village" says his friend...

Brother unwraps it..... it`s a cuckoo clock. ;-))))) He didn`t quite know what to say...... :D

Ignia
01-02-2004, 03:55
Very nice :)
When I was about 5 I used to terrorize my Mommy with just one question - but almost every hour. "How does this bird know when to pop out of the clock?" :))

earl
01-02-2004, 05:25
Heh. When I was seven or eight I found a red letter A cut out of felt sitting on the dining room table. My mother was using it for a halloween costume. I pestered her and pestered her to explain what it meant but she wouldn't ;)

-earl-

Moscow Wolf
01-02-2004, 05:54
Well in the Wolfie Dictionary we have Cuckoo's eggs down as tasty but to describe someone as being Cukcoo we have: -

One slice short of a full loaf....

One card short of a full deck

and a link to

Jack Nicolson's great film 'One flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest!

DaveUKagain
01-02-2004, 15:12
One flew over the Cuckoo`s nest - brilliant film. ;-)))))) Ken Kesey`s book is wonderful, too. ;-)))

Racing Post
01-02-2004, 17:16
A house without books is like a body without a soul.

A book is a present you can open again and again.

Books on claustrophobia? In that little room over there.:bookworm: