PDA

View Full Version : Having a chid in Russia

jeffpv
01-12-2007, 08:50
Hi all,

This has probably been addressed here, but I hope no one minds me bringing it up again.

My (Russian) wife and I (I'm American) will be having a child soon. We're obviously overjoyed.

I was wondering how others who have had a child while living here in Russia dealt with their baby's citizenship. I understand that the child will be a Russian citizen since my wife is Russia and he'll be born in Russia.

However, I very much want him to have American citizenship as well. I have taken a gander at the Vlad US Consulate web site and the process seems pretty straight forward.

The reason I'm posting is that I don't want to miss out on any details. Meaning, is there anything I should know about the process? Do you have any recommendations?

Just want to cross "t's" and dot "i's" regarding my future progeny's future! :D

Clean32
01-12-2007, 12:33
Mate im not american so i cant help you at that end,
But the russian side is easy realy. if a bit long winded

1 the hospital gives you a bit of paper
2 take hospital paper to you local registry office ( where u got married) and your wifes internal passport ( Zagran Passport), you may be asked to sign a bit of paper to say you agree to your Baby haveing russian citzs, its ok no big deal. the registry office, enter your Baby into your wifes passport and also issues a birth certficate.
3 taking passport Zagran and birth certificate go to the police Milita, thay will register and issue citizenship
4 insurance, insurance office for another certificate, this is what the doctors and hospitals want to see IE free medicals

tgma
03-12-2007, 11:09
The key is to get the Russian citizenship out of the way first, and then do the US citizenship. I don't know about the US, but there's no dual citizenship treaty between the UK and Russia. So the Russians don't want to give you Russian citizenship, if you already have UK citizenship. The UK doesn't mind.
So the main thing is to secure Russian citizenship, which will ensure that your child can stay in Russia hassle-free.

Clean32's advice is exactly my experience.

Andy B
03-12-2007, 11:47
We had our two kids in Malaysia and both have Russian and British passports. The Russian embassy said there were NO ISSUES with having both Russian and British nationality whatsoever... this whole thing about Russians not recognising dual nationality is rubbish as far as I can see.

jeffpv
03-12-2007, 17:09
D'oh. Just noticed the typo on my topic line.

Anyway, thanks for the info, everyone. If anyone has any other experiences to share, I'd more than appreciate it.

Be well.

raydg
10-12-2007, 15:40
I am a US citizen and my wife is Russian. We had ours and in the process of registering both citizenship. The US Embassy site has the procedure outline on their webstie. You need your passport, her passport, the child's birth cirtificate from ZAGS, your marriage certificate, and photos (for the child's passport), plus fees, around $150 total. Download the forms from the site. This is the site;

Registering the Birth of a U.S. Citizen Abroad (http://usembassy.ru/consular/acs.php?record_id=newborns)

mirfanh
07-08-2008, 17:44
Mate im not american so i cant help you at that end,
But the russian side is easy realy. if a bit long winded

1 the hospital gives you a bit of paper
2 take hospital paper to you local registry office ( where u got married) and your wifes internal passport ( Zagran Passport), you may be asked to sign a bit of paper to say you agree to your Baby haveing russian citzs, its ok no big deal. the registry office, enter your Baby into your wifes passport and also issues a birth certficate.
3 taking passport Zagran and birth certificate go to the police Milita, thay will register and issue citizenship
4 insurance, insurance office for another certificate, this is what the doctors and hospitals want to see IE free medicals
Yes This is all true , I am Pakistani National and my wife is Russian , I was in Karachi when my baby born in Moscow , I came back in invitation from Wife do all the procedures as directed .
but i face problem in registering Russian name case system .as it ends for female like "ovna" all the time , so far every country has it law , I now understand that is better for my baby now in registering School and all places if asked as a Russian Citizen.
irfan