PDA

View Full Version : Frosty days outdoors

Alethea
28-01-2004, 11:21
For those who want to take young kids outdoors over the weekend , I enthusiastically recommend visiting Arkhangelskoye estate-and-park.
There is a huge ice-run viewing river bank there. My kids enjoyed ice-running immensly while I stayed on a top of the ice-hill admiring magnificent Brueghel-like winter scenery.

Alethea
16-02-2004, 10:38
Another spot - Kolomenskoye. I had a great time there on Saturday morning. With my kids, of course.

ronymo
18-02-2004, 19:16
not that i disagree with any of these but poklonnaya gora is fine too.

Pingu
18-02-2004, 19:35
Some more recommendations from our list:

Zoopark, Bolshaya Gruzinskaya Ulitsa, Metro Krasnopresnenskaya.

Gorky Park (Park Kultury), Metro Oktyabrskaya. Entrance: 50 roubles. 300 acre park with fun fair, as well as ice disco and skating in winter (no rental available).

Kolomenskoe, Metro Kolomenskaya, walk along Androprova Prospekt. Woods, parkland, churches, old wooden buildings (including Peter the Greatís cabin). Play area next to restaurants. Boat rides. Popular in summer with bathers and in winter for sledging, etc.

Izmaylovo Park and Market, Metro Izmaylovsky Park. Follow vendors and crowds to Market or cross bridge to island. 200-hectare park where Peter the Great grew up. Cathedral of the Intercession dominates the island. Good walk around island with boat rides in summer. Market: major attraction, selling everything from souvenirs to antiques. Some booths only open at weekends. Small entrance fee. Restaurant and refreshment trolleys. Congested parking.

Novodevichy Convent, Novodevichy Proezd (tel. 246 8526), Metro Sportivnaya. Closed Tuesday and first Monday of every month. Founded 1524 and steeped in history. Frescoes, icons, peaceful cemetery (Tsarsí relatives, war heroes, writers, historians). Large park, pond and play area.

Bittsevskiy Lecopark, Metro Kaluzhskaya, Belyaevo, Tyoply Stan and Bittsevskiy Park. Large silver birch forest off MKAD. Great for sledging in winter and walks all year round.

Sokolniki Park, Sokolnicheskaya Ploschad, Metro Sokolniki. 600-hectare park surrounded by woods, where Tsars would bring their falcons (sokoli) to hunt foxes, etc. Ponds, play area, summer houses, pavilions, maze, etc. Small entrance fee. Restaurant, exhibition centre, concerts.

Krylatskaya Sports Complex and Forest, Krylatskaya Ulitsa, Metro Krylatskaya. Large forest and Olympic sports complex. Winter: cross-country skiing, sledging, snowmobiling, etc. Summer: walks, canoeing, swimming, etc. Cafť and restaurant. Equipment rental available.

Detsky Park, off Komsomolski Prospekt, Metro Funtzenskaya. Large park with pond and play area.

Arkhangelskoe Park and Museum, Volokolamskoe Shosse, off MKAD (tel.363 1375), Metro Tushinskaya. Prince Yusupovís country estate. Large park and palace with gardens, pavilions, statues and Moscow River.

Alethea
19-02-2004, 16:44
Ekaterininsky park - with a pond and a nice play area for kids

ronymo
19-02-2004, 18:34
And Lefortosvskiy park!

bibliofil
20-02-2004, 11:46
Neskuchny Sad.

Turn right from Andreevsky walking bridge or you can get there from Leninsky prospekt. Excellent woodland and embankment.

Dianavw
21-02-2004, 10:29
where is Ekaterininsky park?

23-02-2004, 11:57
Where is Arkhangelskoye estate? We are always trying to think of somewhere to go on weekends that is new and fun for my kid.

Pingu
23-02-2004, 13:35
Directions:

By car - drive out along Volokolamskoe Shosse (M9), turn left onto Ilyinskoe Shosse and it's a few miles down past the Ring Road.

By Metro - take Metro to Tushkinskaya station, then bus 549 or T-151 or T-159 minibuses to the "sanatorium" stop.

Opening hours: Tues-Sun 10-5, closed the last Fri of every month.