PDA

View Full Version : I was helped, so can you

House Doctor
27-01-2004, 14:44
Time for some self realization and confessions I think

Recently a friend who I care for deeply said that my reputation was to promise and not fulfill, I think that friend was right. I tend to want to help people and because of that I promise something that I really shouldnít not because I canít deliver but maybe because my expectations are incorrect.

I am always trying to improve myself and I am grateful for any constructive advice, friends are supposed to help with this as well I suppose, my only minor problem is that if this is the case, I would prefer people to tell me before it becomes a big problem.

Solution, now I am aware of it then I can counter it, and have done so, and to be honest it makes me feel better

SOÖ. The moral of this little tale is if you have a friend, if they have a problem, tell them, they get upset but will understand.

Lets use this to bring out any problems you have, this is not meant to make fun of people so I would appreciate your understanding

Now, the Doctor is in the house, lets talk.

enrico palazzo
27-01-2004, 15:14
It wasn't until someone called me a "one-upper" that I realized that I did indeed have a story to top anybody, anytime, anywhere. Even if it was someone else's, or from TV, urban legend, myth, fantasy, the expat site, etc.

Moment of clarity indeed...

See, I'm doing it again. Just wanted to agree.

moscowmail
27-01-2004, 15:17
Hmm, I am guilty of both :( I am doomed I am affraid :(

Jet
27-01-2004, 15:52
I totally agree with the Doctor, the samurai's way of the warrior - Bushi-do - teaches tha warrirors on the battle field "to leave their bodies and to look at oneself from the outside", so to be able to be impartial. It is sometimes very difficult to be honest with yourself about real problems. And the greatest friend is the one who can point out your real problems.

allice
27-01-2004, 16:27
For once Jet Li makes sense.

Jet
27-01-2004, 17:02
Thanx, Allice and otsosi

allice
27-01-2004, 17:24
Hope you show your ugly mug on tomorrow. :D

trackhat
28-01-2004, 03:46
My friends and I are always brutally honest with each other; we've been poking each other in the ribs over our respective defects since University. It's only made us closer.

House Doctor
28-01-2004, 12:02
This is good, I didnít expect such mature responses, thank you all.

Jet Li, you are correct in what you say, we could all learn from the ways and thoughts of the Samaria, and the Buddhist monks...

However, I think to start we should just sit down once a day and think about how we are, how others see us, as long as you are yourself and honest, then you should be fine.

Our friends should feel comfortable in talking to us about our problems, and we ourselves should feel comfortable about doing the same with them.

The motto of 'treat others how you want to be treated' is a good start.

Limitchik
28-01-2004, 12:02
Originally posted by House Doctor
the Doctor is in the house, lets talk.

Less Talk. More pill prescriptions.

moscowmail
28-01-2004, 12:07
Here we go.....

Sorry Doc, I didn't think it would get very far...

Guys, please, lets try and keep it sorta on thread :) I don't think he is licensed to issue da pills ;)

Alethea
28-01-2004, 12:14
C'mon, Len,
Limitchik coughed up a witty comment :D

moscowmail
28-01-2004, 12:25
I know he did :) but he is far to witty for his own good... just a friends comment Limchi :) I love ya really :) and especially your witty humor ;)

allice
28-01-2004, 12:37
Dear Doctor, the friend who made that comment is still your friend, right? (I assume) So then that means that your friend really appreciates you no matter of what sins you are guilty of or what sins other people say you are guilty of and thinks of you based FIRST OF ALL on his/her better judgement. Re promises: if you do make one -- keep it, if it is not your intention to make one -- make sure the other party realizes that as well. This is what I try to stick to. A person who I have deep respect for taught me that.

Limitchik
28-01-2004, 12:52
Oh, Ok. I'm sorry, Doctor and MM. I couldn't resist.

Perhaps it was an internal defense mechanism so I could avoid facing and accepting my own problems ?

moscowmail
28-01-2004, 15:13
Ooohh Limchki

Self observation, wow... u de mannnnnn

House Doctor
28-01-2004, 15:18
Originally posted by allice
Dear Doctor, the friend who made that comment is still your friend, right? (I assume) So then that means that your friend really appreciates you no matter of what sins you are guilty of or what sins other people say you are guilty of and thinks of you based FIRST OF ALL on his/her better judgement. Re promises: if you do make one -- keep it, if it is not your intention to make one -- make sure the other party realizes that as well. This is what I try to stick to. A person who I have deep respect for taught me that.

Thank you Alice, you seem to be very knowledgeable, you must be a good friend to people and a nice person at that.

Moscowman, I have no problems with people having a bit of fun, life is to short for hassle, but I understand and appreciate your efforts to keep the thread on track.

Limitchik I have seen many of your postings, you too seem to be a good person, good luck with yourself realization.

Limitchik
28-01-2004, 15:25
What's Up Doc ?

Hey. I'm curious. I'm all for self-introspection and admitting my faults, but what leads you to believe that posting them publicly is necessarily advantageous to solving them ? I guess I'm asking what your motivation is for enticing others to relate their "problems" on this thread. Will you help them further ?

Regards,
Limitchik

DJ Biscuit
28-01-2004, 15:42
Originally posted by House Doctor
Thank you Alice, you seem to be very knowledgeable, you must be a good friend to people and a nice person at that.

Moscowman, I have no problems with people having a bit of fun, life is to short for hassle, but I understand and appreciate your efforts to keep the thread on track.

Limitchik I have seen many of your postings, you too seem to be a good person, good luck with yourself realization.

I think I am going to be sick!

Be careful where this thread goes, amateur psychology is a dangerous thing.

Fa-Q
28-01-2004, 15:55
komu zhizn' bugee-vugee i komu polni bred

moscowmail
28-01-2004, 16:27
Good one FA-Q.

Will have a drinkie for ya tonight ;)