View Full Version : Expired Registration - Advice please!

28-11-2007, 14:24
I hope that someone on the forum can help me out with my problem. I am currently on a 1 YR ME visa (issued in August 2007). I thought that I was registered for 6 months, but just discovered that it was actually only 3 months and expired on November 7. Does anyone have any advice on where I should go from here or what I should expect when I leave the country? Also, will the new visa regulations play a role in this?
Thanks everyone!

28-11-2007, 14:35
You are seriously screwed....

this could prevent you from getting a renewed visa or entry into russia in future...

you cannot leave russia now,,, you need to go and resolve this ASAP...

Good luck mate...

28-11-2007, 14:42
Many expats report that their registration is not checked when they leave the country.
Reregistering in the future may or may not be a problem.

28-11-2007, 21:06
WHEn I have traveled by train and bus to Latvia every document was checked thoroughly, I suggest travel by air, it may be more lax.

Customs know that when you cross the border, you are hundreds of miles from anyone or anything. They have a much stronger position when determing if a fine must be paid. Where are you going to go,? sit outside in the cold far from any motels or telephones or hotels.

Try air Berlin. they have some cheap specials at the moment and you can travel through EUrope if needed on a Eurorail pass.

Good luck


28-11-2007, 23:44
I currently live in St. Pete and I can tell you that I have flown out and traveled by bus and by car to Helsinki. They have never asked me for my registration. I would recomend leaving the country and then returning and registering. When you register they will simply look to see if you register within 3 days, they will not check any of the past registrations. If you go to the authorities it will be seen as a violation and you will get into trouble. If you have two administrative violations you will not be allowed to get a visa for 1 year. You decide which way is better.

29-11-2007, 09:23
I've never had my registration checked when leaving the country. I would second Tchez's advice - do a quick in and out trip, and make sure you register within 3 days and you should be OK.

29-11-2007, 10:29
When I did a quick out and in two weeks ago, I only needed to present my passport (with valid visa) and migration card. They verbally asked where I was registered (region/address would have sufficed), but since I had an extra copy of my registration I simply gave them that (though it was optional). Note this was via air travel, so I suggest that route as others have.

29-11-2007, 16:34
Do as the spys do and take a 'soft route' out of the country.

I would suggest taking the train to Helsinki. I've made this trip many times (once without registration at all becasue of a f*ck up with my landlord) and they have not once checked. It ain't no sweat.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the chaps who check your tickets and passport as you climb on the train: one time out of the 4 I've travelled, one guy checked my visa. He didn't check the registration, but he did check the visa. 74 percent of the time they didn't look, but you never know. That said, they may be more thorough because of the new visa rules.

As far as I know, as long as it's your registration rather than your visa that you've overstayed, and, of course, you haven't had any 'previous', you'll be fine. You really ought to avoid this in the future, but one mis-deed isn't enough to affect you in the future. Bear in mind, though, if you do it again, then it could stop you from getting a visa in the future.

Why don't you call Vadim at Liga consulting. He's the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to matters like this. He'll give you some honest, straightforward advice.

09-12-2007, 21:26
As I understand, even though one's registration is not checked when leaving, aren't you obliged to inform your registration agent of your departure a few days before you leave?

So while you might get out fine, and even get back in, there could be a problem when you return to your agent to get re-registered—unless you have picked up a new visa in the meantime.

Any ideas?