View Full Version : new passport, old visa?

28-11-2007, 12:19
does anybody know or has anyone faced the following situation:

i have a 1-year emergency (u.s.) passport and a russian multi-entry business visa in it good until the end of february. i need to get a new passport from the u.s. consulate here in moscow. will i be able to transfer my current visa onto my new passport, or must i get an entirely new visa, even though my current one will be good at the time i receive my new passport.

thanks in advance.

28-11-2007, 12:39
need a new visa...... your passport has a number, must match with the one that is in the visa...

28-11-2007, 12:53
need a new visa...... your passport has a number, must match with the one that is in the visa...

If it's any help? Although I'm British I think the info is international. I lost my passport after I was issued with an invitation with my old passports number on it. The Russian embassy in London was very helpful, and informed to get a letter of declaration from your passport authority that your pasport has been declared lost and if found would be void. So I'm that between where you got your visa from, Your American embassy , and passport authority I am sure you can get this matter sorted.

Yes I know, hopefully it would be best be heard from an American experience.
I have seen so many posts here that makes the Americans more complicated.

29-11-2007, 03:02
I recently had an experience where my passport was damaged on my way to the US and I needed to get a replacement. I visited the Russian consulate in NYC, and they were willing to issue a visa based on the old one, but I needed to return with my original passport (with the original visa). Unfortunately, US policy does NOT allow you to keep a damaged passport, and no amount of pleading on my part changed their minds. In hindsight, I should have just claimed it was lost. Anyway, despite my having a color copy which was stamped by the passport office, the NYC consulate would not give me a replacement visa. They said that in cases where you cannot produce the original, you must go to the embassy/consulate where the visa was originally issued. Well, my visa was originally issued by the embassy in Seoul, S.Korea, and I didn't want to risk getting stuck there in case THEY said no way. So I ended up waiting for a new invitation letter from my sponsor - yep, an additional 30+ days I didn't expect to spend in the US.

Not sure how much help it this will be since, in all honesty, it seemed to me the consular officer in NYC had not run into this situation before and he had to go check to give me this info. You know how sometimes policy is 'slightly' different in each gov office. :)

29-11-2007, 03:51
I have found that the staff working in the Moscow US Citizens Services department have been very helpful in these situations. As the Russia laws have changed, they have changed their policy in order to help Americans.

Their policies may have changed again, but what they have done for me in the past was to:

stamp the old passport expired as of a certain future date - which was the date my Russia visa expired.
give me a new passport - which means that I was the holder of 2 passports that were good simultaneously.
give me a signed, stamped letter from the US Embassy stating that the passport was good till a certain date. Wasn't the first time they had done it and there was no problem at customs in Moscow when leaving. And it allowed me to start working on my new letter of invitation plenty in advance.

American Citizens Services asked me to bring back my expired passport when I was finished with it, but I forgot to do it. However, having it was helpful in proving the number of days I had been in Russia in relation to paying taxes (since I am paid for abroad).

29-11-2007, 09:29
My advice would be to get a new visa based on the new passport. I have in the past got a visa based on the old passport, and then been able to get the consulate to do the visa based on the new passport. This was with a British passport in the UK consulate. The difference with Bels's case was that no extra letter was needed, but I was using a visa agency that seems pretty cosy with the consulate.

I realise that this is a pain, but the alternative is to go back to your visa issuing body, and whoever invited you, and getting a letter from them, and then going through the OVIR/FMS here, and you would probably need letters from the US consulate, and it just sounds like a world of pain to me, when there is a simpler alternative available. Of course, the new visa, if it's multi-entry, would have the restriction of only allowing you to stay 90 days in every 180, but that's another story.

27-12-2007, 15:05
new visa - no question