PDA

View Full Version : Here Come the Bulldozers

trackhat
27-01-2004, 03:01
Today in the Moscow Times, there was another article about houses being knocked down in Moscow. When they talk about this taking place, they always say that the government has found the people new places to live. In America, this would be considered sort of ridiculous: sure eminent domain exists, but the values of apartments are privately assessed and their residents re-imbursed; the government doesn't just simply 'find' a new apartment. For instance, if I live in a swank pad on Patriarch Ponds, and someone 'dozes my home and gives me some drab, anonymous-looking flat in Babushkinskaya, I'd probably be pissed... I might even do a little sabotage. Is it merely in the Muscovite mentality to bend over and take it?

DaveUKagain
27-01-2004, 04:26
Well, over here in The Untied Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, you get a "compulsory purchase order" when HM Gov PLC want to bulldoze your house and run a motorway through it...... and they assess how much your house is worth.

Luckily they don`t build too many motorways nowadays. ;-)))))))

legspreader
27-01-2004, 13:45
and on that same note its not like they paid fair market rates for these flats they were gifted at the end of the soviet union i know still sucks but not as bad and who knows what the condition of these buildings were in maybe they were deathtraps...

trackhat
27-01-2004, 14:15
So who should have gotten the deed to the apartments, legspreader? The American Indians?

Random
27-01-2004, 14:20
Just wish the MT would publish the whole dam list they are sitting on rather than this peacemeal approach !! I know it was published in Izvestia ...but can I find a copy !! NO !!

legspreader
27-01-2004, 14:42
Originally posted by trackhat
So who should have gotten the deed to the apartments, legspreader? The American Indians?

if you want an answer how about the goverment smart ass

k.oflynn
27-01-2004, 17:25
the list of buildings to be examined for possible demolition is 71 pages long so unless we devoted the whole paper to it, we couldn;t print all of them

Look at www.stroi.ru as it said in the article for the full list.

www.stroi.ru/moscowflat/housesdownlist.asp

Kevin

Random
27-01-2004, 17:29
71 pages long !!!!!!!!!! Ok then I forgive you !!

Ta for the link !! :D

jheisel
27-01-2004, 18:13
If only my apartment building was scheduled for being torn down this year I would have a much more compelling reason to want to move than "my apartment sucks."

Random
27-01-2004, 18:35
I had hoped to say to the landlady ..well I don't think I will pay you anymore cash as this building is ear marked for destruction ! Have to do one final check, but so far cannot see my building on that list ......

trackhat
28-01-2004, 03:43
Dave, I don't see anything wrong with the way it's done in the UK. Property rights are respected there to a reasonable extent. Have you ever read The Mystery of Capital by Hernando de Soto?

kniga
28-01-2004, 10:24
Dave,

Like the new avatar. When was the photo taken, 1994? :-)

DPG
28-01-2004, 12:49
Does anyone know who to contact to ask for a building to be added to the list??

If you saw the hovel in which I live, you'd understand!!;)

DaveUKagain
31-01-2004, 13:54
Originally posted by kniga
Dave,

Like the new avatar. When was the photo taken, 1994? :-)

:) 2001, Kniga - what a hairy devil I was, then. ;-)

kniga
31-01-2004, 14:25
Dave,

And now, just a devil! :-)

Polia Ivanova
31-01-2004, 16:18
Originally posted by DaveUKagain
Well, over here in The Untied Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, you get a "compulsory purchase order" when HM Gov PLC want to bulldoze your house and run a motorway through it...... and they assess how much your house is worth.

Luckily they don`t build too many motorways nowadays. ;-)))))))

There is a split between direction lines on M62 near Huddersfield - the farmer didn't want to sell so they had to bend the motorway lines around his property.
May be it was long time ago.

I know the story about people being moved from nice places to awful ones just because neither of them belong to them. Look at the bright side - if some Russian businessman wanted their property they would probably get bullets in their heads, not possibility of relocation.

DaveUKagain
31-01-2004, 16:31
Privet Polia !!

..... same chaos around here - when the motorway was built, CPO`s were issued for whole streets of houses. Everyone was forced to sell up and move out - the houses were half demolished and just allowed to stand there derelict (thanks, Local Council) and then ? Then they decided NOT to route the motorway that way, so all the houses were rebuilt, sold back and the motorway ended up 100 metres further south.

Idiocy writ large....... heard about the M62 / Huddersfield one, too.