PDA

View Full Version : Elegant Gastronomic Restaurants in Moscow

alekcei
26-11-2007, 21:40
Hi there,

Do you know a few quite nice restaurants in Moscow, even if they're half-way gastronomic and elegant?
Apart from Jeroboam & The Park restaurants of course...
I think Mario's is more brasserie...

annasophia
27-11-2007, 00:17
Huh??

I do know quite a few elegant restaurants in Moscow. Haven't been to most of them. I can think of better ways to throw my money away.

So what's your point?

alekcei
27-11-2007, 00:46
We are not talking about E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E restaurants. Just to know quite a few restaurants with some quality.

annasophia
27-11-2007, 00:54
Name dropping is always fashionable. Well done.

Care to drop some more?

You Russians are crazy for the pretense of gilded elegance, even when the kitchen is full of illegal Tajiks, the service is appalling, and your date is a painted-by-the-numbers blonde from some ghetto outside the MKAD.

Ah yes, quality indeed.

Um, what exactly was your point?

alekcei
27-11-2007, 01:10
Briefly, first of all, think first coz you don't know at all who's russian and who's not; and second, due to many critics you've got in your mind regarding an issue we do not care in this thread, open a new one on your own explaining your way of thinking.
You're totally out of the picture...and goin' deeper...:shhhhhh:

Natalia Popova
28-11-2007, 21:56
Did you alekcei try Adriatica on Blagoveshenskii line, near Grand Marriott? Really elegant, good European service but, yes expensive.

ridcully
29-11-2007, 12:26
Hi there,

Do you know a few quite nice restaurants in Moscow, even if they're half-way gastronomic and elegant?

Well we (g/f and I) have enjoyed:

Cheese Hole (Sirnaya Dirka) - Ресторан Сырная дырка == французский и швейцарский ресторан (http://www.sdyrka.ru)
Cheese Restaurant (Syr) - Novikov Restaurant Group - Restaurants (http://eng.novikovgroup.ru/restaurants/cheese/)
Cafe Pushkin - Кафе ПУШКИНЪ (http://www.cafe-pushkin.ru/)

I also quite like 3/9 Tsarstvo / Tridevyatoye tsarstvo on Stariy Arbat (bar and restaurant), from days when I was in Moscow alone - but g/f is not so keen. I often take visiting English there though, and they seem to enjoy it (and it's not too expensive). It's at the end near Arbatskaya metro, on the right as you walk away from the station.

Not making any great claims for any of them - but I've eaten well at all four and had good service. Have used the first two reasonably regularly as a couple, and 3/9 a lot on my own a few years ago.

Andy B
29-11-2007, 13:06
I quite like Genatsvali just off old arbat. Nice atmospherre and the (Georgain) food is good.

ridcully
29-11-2007, 13:21
I quite like Genatsvali just off old arbat. Nice atmospherre and the (Georgain) food is good.

I think that there are two of these (if Genatsvale | Restaurant Review | Moscow | Frommers.com (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moscow/D56433.html)) is to be believed. I think I'll plan to try the one on Ostozhenka at the weekend ... thanks Andy!

minsu2004
29-11-2007, 14:26
Turandot - very elegant. Oblomov. Truffaldino - very good italian dishes

ridcully
29-11-2007, 14:38
Turandot - very elegant.

Oh yes, Turandot is a wonderful setting, and (I am told) good food and service too. Have yet to eat there!

Natalia Popova
29-11-2007, 15:11
Turandot is good choice... Probably the most expensive restaurant in Moscow. Don't try Gorky on Tverskaya Str. There is extremely rude staff arguing with you about small tips!

Hawk
29-11-2007, 15:44
try imbir near myakovskaya.... vietnamese, but really nice,,, have a very god red wine selection.. go for the South African Kanonkop..

Hawk
29-11-2007, 15:46
nice small but rather clean elegant upmarket italian restuarant near park kultury - expensive - but great food, service and large selection of italian wine... they know their stuff.. nicest wine glasses ive seen in moscow.

Sette Bellla or something, was 3 yrs back

ridcully
29-11-2007, 16:05
nice small but rather clean elegant upmarket italian restuarant near park kultury - expensive - but great food, service and large selection of italian wine... they know their stuff.. nicest wine glasses ive seen in moscow.

Hawk - it sounds very nice, can you give more details? Is it on Kropotinskiy pereulok? Can't remember the name, walked past it a few times, looks quite nice. (There's a signpost to it from Ostozhenka ul.)

alekcei
30-11-2007, 00:21
I do know Carrй Blanc in Metro Новослободская which has quite a "French Touch" and good service

Thx everybody for your info!

bludumbiki
07-12-2007, 16:49
Hi there,

PAVILION in Patriarchs' Pound and Icest..can't remember the address. Both expesive but very nice food!!

blueblue
26-01-2008, 02:20
I'm thinking of checking it out - Dissdent - listed in expat.ru restaurants under Wine.

Anyone been there?

Thanks!

Eric

BelindaG
28-01-2008, 14:50
Thanks Hawk
But where exactly is the Vietnamese place. Near Mayakovskaya where?

blueblue
29-01-2008, 04:50
The Savoy Hotel restaurant is really nice, but very expensive. Jacket required. Great food. Great staff. Hoity toity.

Isokl
01-02-2008, 18:09
Name dropping is always fashionable. Well done.

Care to drop some more?

You Russians are crazy for the pretense of gilded elegance, even when the kitchen is full of illegal Tajiks, the service is appalling, and your date is a painted-by-the-numbers blonde from some ghetto outside the MKAD.

Ah yes, quality indeed.

Um, what exactly was your point?

why so aggressive? when in Rome, do as Romans do...else, go home!

Isokl
01-02-2008, 18:16
Try these ones as well...

Jeraldin - Ostozhenka St, 27, bld.2
Semifredo - Rossolimo St., 2
Kolonna - Mansurovsky per., 12
Bistrot - Big Savvinsky per., 12, bld. 2 (it is expensive though)
The Apartments - Savvinskaya emb., 12

... if you have nothing against Italian food ;)

Penelope
01-02-2008, 18:19
Alekcei, can you let us know what you mean by "quality"? What are your criteria for judging a restaurant "elegant" and "gastronomic"?

Marina-ballerina
21-02-2008, 23:22
I am taking my hubby to Moscow shortly and am now looking for places where I can take him out to eat. He is pretty spoilt, I am affraid... and agreed to travel to Russia reluctantly... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would like to change his mind and have been researching...
This topic is great, but could you please explain what do you mean by "elegant' and "expensive"?

Also, if Alexei states that elegant does not need to be expensive... then could you please provide web addresses or telephone numbers of the restaurants you are recommending, because "elegant and inexpensive" would probably require booking?

At this moment in time, my hubby dislikes Russian cuisine... perhaps this is because he does not like pickles, beetroot, fish (unless it is in the form of traditional fish&chips:uk:, seafood, lamb, pork, fatty food, coconut, meat on the bone... and I can go on...

So, guys, would you be so kind to suggest an elegant and inexpensive place in central Moscow where I can get him a decent steak?

bludumbiki
23-02-2008, 12:06
Made it to Cheese Restaurant recently and like it a lot!! For sure will be going there soon again!!

Well we (g/f and I) have enjoyed:

Cheese Hole (Sirnaya Dirka) - Ресторан Сырная дырка == французский и швейцарский ресторан (http://www.sdyrka.ru)
Cheese Restaurant (Syr) - Novikov Restaurant Group - Restaurants (http://eng.novikovgroup.ru/restaurants/cheese/)
Cafe Pushkin - Кафе ПУШКИНЪ (http://www.cafe-pushkin.ru/)

I also quite like 3/9 Tsarstvo / Tridevyatoye tsarstvo on Stariy Arbat (bar and restaurant), from days when I was in Moscow alone - but g/f is not so keen. I often take visiting English there though, and they seem to enjoy it (and it's not too expensive). It's at the end near Arbatskaya metro, on the right as you walk away from the station.

Not making any great claims for any of them - but I've eaten well at all four and had good service. Have used the first two reasonably regularly as a couple, and 3/9 a lot on my own a few years ago.

ridcully
02-03-2008, 14:41
So, guys, would you be so kind to suggest an elegant and inexpensive place in central Moscow where I can get him a decent steak?

Marina, Goodman Steak House is nice - there are several of them, see Стейк хаус GOODMAN (Гудман) (http://www.goodman.ru). We have eaten at the one in Новинский Пассаж and the food was tasty, with a good atmosphere. They claim to have good steaks here, although I haven't tried them. The pictures of the meat on the website look good though! Pretty average Moscow prices - not cheap (ie not Yalky-Palky) but not outrageous (ie not Cafe Pushkin, Turandot) either.

My one compaint would be that the tables were rather close together.

I like Cheese too - СЫР ресторан итальянской кухни , лучший итальянский ресторан (http://www.cheese-restaurant.ru). (Don't be put off by the photograph of the restaurant on the website - the exterior isn't great, and the site is awful (on the Garden Ring). But inside - very nice! (Ah [edit] - just noticed that bludumbiki liked it too - cool! :) )

Gypsy
02-03-2008, 14:52
Vertinski opposite the big white cathedral (don't know the name of the road but it becomes Komsomolski) is very good. I like Turandot too. Cafe Pushkin I find very very overrated - had breakfast there on wednesday and it was poor.

ridcully
02-03-2008, 14:52
Made it to Cheese Restaurant recently and like it a lot!! For sure will be going there soon again!!

Thanks for the feedback, bludumbiki! I believe that this is one of the Moscow restaurants owned by Arkady Novikov, and that a discount card can be bought for all the restaurants so that if you eat there regularly (once a month?) you can make savings. Not sure what the breakeven point is.

ridcully
02-03-2008, 15:06
For those with deep pockets, Vanil (Restaurants Rating // Restaurants - Moscow - restaurant Vanil (http://www.restorate.ru/en/restaurant/?id=354)) is nice, Ostozhenka ul, 1. Excellent service and very good food. But pricey (the price in the review linked to this post MUST be out of date).