PDA

View Full Version : Downtown to downtown?

StephenT
10-04-2013, 17:06
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have been reading a lot in this forum.

My company is considering to transplant me to Moscow. Right now I live in the centre of a large western city and am hoping to find a neighbourhood which is both safe and has lots of social activity (coffee shops and pubs).

Like any city, it's hard to look at a map of Moscow and get your bearings for places to live. We are 2 people, no kids, hi-rise apartment would be great. Will be working near Baumanskaya. I'm quite at ease with the subway, so a commute of up to 45 mins will be OK.

Safety, security and hi-tech accoutrements (fast Internet) will be essential. Also, if you could recommend an English speaking realtor,chat would be helpful!

Looking to rent, but would buy if I can find the right price.

mrzuzzo
10-04-2013, 17:10
Moscow is a pretty safe city, definitely not any more dangerous than TO, don't think you'd have issues anywhere central.

Fast internet is available almost everywhere in the city. The last place I lived had 300mbps access.

FatAndy
10-04-2013, 17:21
hi-tech accoutrements (fast Internet) will be essential
Well, what is "fast"? Typical physical connection speed for wired Internet (Ethernet network type) in Moscow is 100 Mbps, but it may be shaped to 10-15-20-40-60 Mbps according to your tariff plan. It is true or most of new buildings in Moscow. Some older ones in the center (they may look new, but I mean underlayed engineering comunications) have only ADSL/ADSL2 Internet (max. 6/20 Mbps down, 512/1024Kbps up) via copper phone lines. DOCSIS cable modems (via TV cabling) deliver up to 20 Mbps.

Also, if you could recommend an English speaking realtor,chat would be helpful!
It will add 50% automatically, showing you're damned fatpocket imperialist, so are subject to rip-off by definition :D

Look at http://www.cian.ru website (Central Investment Realtor Bureau) to have idea of pricing and contact tzaritsa member of the forum by PM, she has hepled a lot to many of expats here.
http://www.expat.ru/forum/member.php?u=1752328757

StephenT
10-04-2013, 17:48
Chaps,

Thanks very much for the rapid replies!

Internet traffic shaping, no problem. I'm used to 25mbps (max). Can you give me a ballpark monthly cost? I would need a service that fast enough to stream Netflix (I can get around region restrictions).

Any legal concerns if I download (English) TV from torrent sites?

Is there a forum on here where people talk about social get togethers? Are there any "authentic" pubs? Are they all smoking?

antfidel
10-04-2013, 18:32
Chaps,

Thanks very much for the rapid replies!

Internet traffic shaping, no problem. I'm used to 25mbps (max). Can you give me a ballpark monthly cost? I would need a service that fast enough to stream Netflix (I can get around region restrictions).

Any legal concerns if I download (English) TV from torrent sites?

Is there a forum on here where people talk about social get togethers? Are there any "authentic" pubs? Are they all smoking?

Monthly internet rate is anywhere from 300-800 rubles depending on speed and provider.

You won't have any legal issues using torrents in Russia even if the torrent is being monitored by the copyright holder.

FatAndy
11-04-2013, 16:01
I'm used to 25mbps (max). Can you give me a ballpark monthly cost? I would need a service that fast enough to stream Netflix (I can get around region restrictions).
http://www.onlime.ru/internet/calc2/ - Rostelecom "pocket" provider
http://internet.beeline.ru/provod/msk/tarif/index.wbp - another bigger guy

Are there any "authentic" pubs? Are they all smoking?
"Authentic" pub for me means only drinks, no food. Thanks God, we have no such perversions here, all places supplying beer also supply food. And yes, almost all of them are smoking or have smoking sections.

VicY
11-04-2013, 17:09
Huuuh??
I thought an "authentic pub" would definitely mean just that: providing both drinks and food. At least that's the way it is in the UK.