PDA

View Full Version : Working for language schools in Moscow

JulieM
09-04-2013, 21:44
Hi,

I am arriving in a couple weeks and have been looking for a job. I have just been offered a job with EF Corporate Language Learning Solutions, and have a couple questions.

Has anyone on here ever worked with them/heard about them and can tell me their experience?

They offer 60,000 a month with housing, one month vacation, metro card, etc for 30 hours a week is that standard?

I have been looking at governess jobs as well that pay more but those seem very hard to get.

Thanks. :)

jasc1976
09-04-2013, 23:52
A word of caution with EF... read the contract and then read it again, then make sure that its the same contract they gave you in the beginning.

Our contracts stated a 5 day working week and when we arrived they changed it to 6 days. Split shifts morning classes and then back at 3pm for children and teens, not sure if the corporate is any different but i wouldn't imagine so.

I finished work with EF beginning of this year and have never looked back, whilst the experience with other teachers was great, the management leaves a lot to be desired.

I advise you to have a look at some other companies such as IPT or Denis school etc and try to avoid the McShools like EF or BKC, Language link if at all possible.

rubyrussia
10-04-2013, 00:03
It's a good and bad deal. Good in the sense that very few 'McLanguage' schools pay a salary of 60,000, with housing, and a visa.

Bad because if you take one or two private clients, you will already be making more money than your EF contract (taking into consideration the standard terrible salary of 30,000 rubles a month) if they work with you 2 days a week consistently for example.

Split shifts are in the nature of this job. No one can really guarantee a no split shift contract. It's like any other market driven by supply and demand and the 'nature of the beast' if you will.

Honestly, what I would be more afraid of is them forcing you to go to Podolsk for two lessons every week. ;)

thefacilitator
10-04-2013, 09:05
I heard Language schools in Moscow expect the world but offer very little? I have had some mixed experiences here.

Maybe working for yourself is the best way here?? Try an international school if you are a qualified teacher with a degree in education and a subject to teach. Good luck.

felix
10-04-2013, 13:14
fair pay is 4500 rub for 90 minutes,
so do the math

pompeygazza
10-04-2013, 21:56
fair pay is 4500 rub for 90 minutes,
so do the math

That's misleading. You'll get that if you've been around a while and are in demand, but 2000-2500 is more realistic for a newbie

rubyrussia
10-04-2013, 23:09
4500 for one lesson? Maybe if you teach children in Rublovka. Most language schools charge about 3 the most I've ever heard of was 5 by the biggest and most expensive international language schools in the city...

Actually I was wrong, http://www.bkc.ru/corp_learn/english/information/price however, I think 98% of the companies out there would not pay this price.

rubyrussia
10-04-2013, 23:45
Check this out BKC in theory could charge you 14,000 rubles for one lesson. Sweet.

JulieM
11-04-2013, 18:57
Thanks - so I interviewed today it is 60,000 but does Not include housing, I read the contract wrong, however I only have two hours in the morning and 2 in the evening and they will help me find housing. Does include visa, airfare, 28 days vacation. I am working with business clients at their offices, so I do have to get myself around, but they also pay metro card.

The main issue is that they want me on their visa, which is fine, but I already have a three year tourist visa and a ticket to arrive next week and to switch they are pretty sure I would have to leave the country.

pompeygazza
11-04-2013, 21:27
Thanks - so I interviewed today it is 60,000 but does Not include housing, I read the contract wrong, however I only have two hours in the morning and 2 in the evening and they will help me find housing. Does include visa, airfare, 28 days vacation. I am working with business clients at their offices, so I do have to get myself around, but they also pay metro card.

The main issue is that they want me on their visa, which is fine, but I already have a three year tourist visa and a ticket to arrive next week and to switch they are pretty sure I would have to leave the country.

Does the contract offer 60000 regardless of hour worked or are you actually paid by the hour?

Also, have you checked out accommodation costs? I pay 25000 per month for a room in a shared flat and that seems to be normal. I also had to pay an agency fee of 100%. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I arrived 4 months ago and it's been a steep learning curve..

andymackem
11-04-2013, 23:16
If you come on a tourist visa you can't legally work here, as far as I know. So ultimately if you want to actually live and work in the country, eventually you'll need to switch visas. That said, it _may_ be possible to do that in the country. I've certainly moved from a business visa to a work visa. Don't know about a tourist one, though.

There is, of course, the option of working the grey economy: get yourself a place to live and then seek out private students who will pay cash in hand. But that's a high risk strategy, and if you get caught you lose everything - income, right to remain in the country and probably a hefty fine to boot. It's unlikely to be worth it, even assuming the 3-year tourist visa has no restrictions on how long you can spend in the country at one time (I know a lot of biz visas are valid for something like 90 days out of 180).

Accommodation is expensive here - you'll do well to turn a profit on 60k with no accomm, as compared with 30k+accomm, to be honest. About five years ago I was just about getting by on a monthly salary of 65k (24k rent for a studio near Dinamo at that time), but prices have gone up since then. The other risk is that you won't really be able to base yourself in one part of town: in theory if you were attached to a branch of a school out at the end of a metro line you could keep costs and travel time down by living close to work; in practise if you're going to corporate offices you'd struggle to make that work without some hideous commutes.

Like a few people on here I've worked for a McSchool - BKC, in my case. I found it OK. They delivered everything they promised, but it's notable that they didn't promise much. But I was treating it as a working holiday, and used the contract to move back into my regular career where I found better-paid oppportunities.

jasc1976
12-04-2013, 00:47

Correct is 60,000/month excluding housing but they will help you to search for housing and will put you up with some other teachers in a share apartment if you wish, otherwise like i did you go it alone. I live in Ясенево which is not close to city centre on the orange line and takes about 40 minutes to commute but the rent is relatively cheap at 24,000/month for a two room apartment you could expect to pay the same living with 2 or 3 other housemates.

As for the visa you must leave Russia to activate the work visa, when I arrived I came on a business visa and worked with EF on this visa until my work visa was organised, then it was a simple case of flying to Lithuania (you can also go to Latvia) and change the visa to a work visa, however this was all done at my expense and they were unwilling to reimburse any of the expenses.

As for hours worked in the contract it states 156 hours a month or 38 hours per week , if you fail short of these hours you are still paid the same amount as by law they must pay a foreign teacher 1 Million a year to be able to hire you. If you work over these hours you are paid extra at this time of year i wouldnt expect to be working anywhere near 156 hours, this time last year i worked on average about 120 hours per month, however this was in a school. You will be expected to participate in all events like Life Club etc which are non paid events as well as attend all meetings, again unpaid. If you are traveling to corporate clients I would ask for commute time to be paid as they will be charging the client a higher price for not attending the school. I had one corporate client who i had to travel to see and I demanded to be paid for commute time ( equivalent to 1 ach hour) which they happily agreed to as no other teacher from the school was willing to commute and the student had paid 90,000 for a short term course already.

My one advice is to be on your toes and dont let them bully you into doing anything you dont feel comfortable with, they need you more then you need them.

aibce
12-04-2013, 00:53
Julie, the hours seem high, the pay low and you will probably wind up staying in an apartment with 2 or 3 other teachers that will drive you crazy. Check out our new company at aibce.net, and feel free to contact Irina when you hit the ground, or before. We pay an extremely competitive salary with performance bonuses. There is no other school offering these perks. I am interested in skilled professionals who want to stay in Russia, take ownership of their teaching assignments and help to build something really special. We hope to hear from you.

aibce
12-04-2013, 00:54
If you are getting 4,500 rubles per cl**** you are far above fair pay.

aibce
12-04-2013, 00:55
More like 1800 to 2000 for a newbie

JulieM
12-04-2013, 01:40
THANK YOU SO MUCH, everyone who has replied, it has been a tremendous help. Aibce I will check out your school, though to be fair we are talking a total of 80 hours a month for 60,000 from what I have seen, that is not too bad. I don't mind sharing an apartment either and I think no matter what that is going to be a given with the cost of apartments. I am still exploring options though and feel much more informed now after everyone's comments. Thanks again everyone for helping me out. :)